Do the Sedins want to win?

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
This is why players like Luongo and Kesler wanted out of town. To win at hockey it requires a whole team to do it. And if your best players are not sacrificing everything to win, why bother.
Luongo wanted to go to Florida, and only Florida. Him wanting out had nothing to do with winning, he just wanted to go home.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
It's a moot point that was made doubly moot when we retained salary on Hansen.

They aren't going anywhere.

I think you meant....

ShwWbWP.gif

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
Even if they were willing to leave, it would be hard to trade them at this year's deadline considering they'd be 3rd liners on a contender and they can only retain salary on one of them. They've made it clear that they would only want to win in Vancouver, personally I admire the loyalty they have to the franchise, they deserve every last bit of their no-move clauses so no one can dispute they haven't earned the right to make that decision. As fan who has seen their entire tenure play out to become legends of the team, it would be weird seeing them finish their careers in foreign jerseys as oppose to with the Canucks. Even if they were dealt the return package wouldn't help the future outlook of the franchise significantly compared to the package they got in return for Linden which essentially brought the team out the previous dark ages, which supports the argument that they should've been shopped and traded after the sweep against the Sharks, but that's a moot point.

3rd liners on a contender would be ideal for them, facing 3rd pairing defense. I know they only want to win in Vancouver....clearly not happening this year or next. Most of the contract has been paid out and Winnipeg and Nashville are legit contenders that have room.

It would be weird seeing them in another uniform, like Bruins fans with Bourque but they pretty much all cheered when he hoisted the cup

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
And once again it has to be said:

Even assuming the twins go back on their word about not playing for another NHL team and waiving their NTCs, which contending team is going to mess with its winning lineup to shoehorn the Sedins' salary under the cap considering we can only retain on one?

2011 still hurts

imagine posting on a hockey forum
Feb 10, 2016
I don't agree with calling them losers with their resume, these are players that played through injuries/recent concussion in the playoffs; they obviously gave it all to win when we were competitive.

They're just loyal to a fault, some fans respect that over ring-chasing and some fans will call them losers. Unless they think they have a solid chance or even an opportunity anywhere else (the other team would NEED to make a cap dump) to win a cup this season they're not going to leave their families for months. No way they sign anywhere but here in the off-season too obviously.

They said if they wanted to win a cup it'd be here in Vancouver, and if that moment has passed them by so be it. Their desire to win the cup is eclipsed by their attachment to this franchise (in combination with their families). People can call them losers for their loyalty, but it's not like they aren't giving it their best here at almost 38 years old a piece (were also overused for years by Willie and were probably our best players despite being 34+). These are 60 point players in their twilight years, I'm completely fine with them staying with this us as long as they're more willing to be fit where they need to be in the lineup (which is something they encourage).

Last edited:

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Yes they do. Anyone answering otherwise is completely clueless. Problem is that there are other important factors as well like staying your entire career with the same team, not uprooting your family etc.

All players balance winning a cup with other things, or else top players would just sign for peanuts with the Penguins. Any player that decides not to do that is not giving themselves the best chance to win the cup and therefore doesn’t care about winning according to some posters here.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
If the Sedins pulled a Sundin on us that would hurt. But I agree

Sundin actually regrets not retiring as a Leaf, which is sad as he wanted to continue playing but was forced out by Toronto.

I am open minded, just dont see the point. Personally, Id want to win
Stick around for leadership? Horvat and Boeser have exceded them, both on the ice and as examples
Too many times this year weve watched a game and said thats the worst game of the year.
They arent leading by example right now

What a bunch of BS. You say you are open minded then talk only about what you want and think. How is that being open minded?

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Yes they do. Anyone answering otherwise is completely clueless. Problem is that there are other important factors as well like staying your entire career with the same team, not uprooting your family etc.

All players balance winning a cup with other things, or else top players would just sign for peanuts with the Penguins. Any player that decides not to do that is not giving themselves the best chance to win the cup and therefore doesn’t care about winning according to some posters here.
apparently kevin durant is the only player in professional sports that wants to win.

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
How's simple Jim going to sign 2 more Eriksson deals with those stupid Sedins blocking him?!? Poor Jim is handcuffed!

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Oh my God some people just don’t get it. Have you people played on sports teams before? Of course the Sedins want to win! SMH. But they want to win in Vancouver or nowhere. Do some of you not understand, that when you play for the same team your entire professional career, all the ups and downs highs and lows, etc, that you become emotionally attached? It becomes who you are. You don’t want to play for anyone else besides your city or it’s just not special. The sedins would love to have a cup under their name; however, it won’t feel special for them at all if It’s not with their city, their family, etc. It’s not a hard concept to grasp. They’re staying if they want to stay. Period.
We will move assets like Vanek, Gudbranson, maybe even Edler/another player at the deadline and the rebuild will continue. It would actually be nice to have them resigned for one more year teaching Pettersson and other rookies like Dahlen the ropes. End of rant

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
This is what mats sundin would say years after retiring.

"When you're 22 or 23, it's kind of just about winning the championship," Sundin said. "And as you grow older, it's a cliché, but you're enjoying the journey, the travel and the grind of getting together as a group in the fall and just build up for a goal in the spring. It was kind of the thing that was great, the long-term commitment."

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
its funny when people talk about "wanting to win" as a quality that they could somehow identify, visually, in elite athletes. almost every single one of them wants to win the cup a hell of a lot more than any of you want them to and its kind of insane that people would question otherwise

like.. how the f*** do you think people get to be in the top 0.001% of people performing an activity? apathy and a lot of luck?

Reactions: Josepho and Catbug

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
The rational part of me says the logo on the front is more important than the name on the back and it's tough, but their decision to stay or not should not affect the need for management to pro-actively explore every avenue to do what's best for the team. Danny and Hank have laid their bodies on the line for the team, and with all their leadership they should understand that every decision is made from the viewpoint of what is best for the team and isn't personal.

That being said, we've got easier fish to fry. Let's trade Gudbranson, Vanek heck see if there's any biters for Gagne even.

I'm usually pretty OCD with asset management but I won't be too mad if we retain the Sedins. The hunger to win a cup isn't there but they can still be valuable mentors for our upcoming prospects.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
I don’t think the Stanley Cup was really a thing the Sedins had a huge desire for, I’m sure they would’ve liked to won one but I never seen that drive to win it from them.

Reactions: JuniorNelson

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I don’t think the Stanley Cup was really a thing the Sedins had a huge desire for, I’m sure they would’ve liked to won one but I never seen that drive to win it from them.
No idea how you’ve gotten that impression from them. The Sedins are proud, highly competitive players that put the team above themselves. They obviously really want to bring a Cup to Vancouver

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
Guys like Kesler, Bieksa, Burrows and Hansen were the true leaders of this team during the Presidents Trophy years. Those guys wanted to win and wanted to win so badly that they went to different teams to try to win a cup.

The Sedins have every right to stay but its obvious they have adapted to loosing. After embarrassing losses they show no emotion and in their post game interviews they blame the "bounces" or talk about "the young guys playing the right way". Kesler or Bieksa would at least call out the team and take some blame.

Everyone hates on Kesler because he was a jerk and wanted out. In reality yes he was a jerk but he wanted to win over anything else and realized this team was going nowhere so he forced a trade to a team of his choice which was his right. I would rather have a guy that wants to win at all costs as a leader on my team than someone like Henrik, Daniel or Edler who wear letters here and don't seem to be bothered at all by the loosing

Reactions: JuniorNelson

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Bieksa was practically forced out of here. He was more than willing to “go down with the ship”

Reactions: iFan

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
same with burrows and hansen

i also think if burrows was seriously hellbent on a cup he wouldn't have gone to ottawa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad