Do the Sedins want to win?

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
Before I go on, been fans of theirs since way back when they were the sisters getting faces smacked into the glass, theyve paid their dues.

But its frustrating to think we could get some useful assets for them as rentals, a few playoff teams can get them under the cap, play as 3rd liners on a cup run. BUT...they wont wave and would rather ride it out on a sinking ship because its comfortable? 3 months of inconvenience is too much to deal with?

The signing team(Winnipeg?) wouldnt be able to resign them next year anyway...back to Van for a 1 year contract and retire as Canucks as they stated.
Sure the rest of the year would be worse but were not playoff bound anyway and theyd be worth picks/prospects and be back in their Kitsalano houses for next year.

I guess the same can be applied to Edler

Is there a desire to win or just play out your contract?

Rant over

Last edited:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Maybe try to be more open minded. Not everybody wants to win with a team they don't feel a part of. There are certainly plenty of players (Who I would never question their desire to win) who were loyal to their teams and would have gone down with the ship.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Maybe try to be more open minded. Not everybody wants to win with a team they don't feel a part of. There are certainly plenty of players (Who I would never question their desire to win) who were loyal to their teams and would have gone down with the ship.
If the Sedins pulled a Sundin on us that would hurt. But I agree

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
I am open minded, just dont see the point. Personally, Id want to win
Stick around for leadership? Horvat and Boeser have exceded them, both on the ice and as examples
Too many times this year weve watched a game and said thats the worst game of the year.
They arent leading by example right now

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Someone needs to convince Hank and Daniel that they should try playing apart for a couple months at least once in their careers.

Trade 1 to the east, 1 to the west, bring them back on a 1 year deal. Give Bo the C while they are gone.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
The cold, calculated, rational move would be to trade them, and then re-sign them, yes,

But I can respect that they don't want to go anywhere. And while I usually am on the "trade away vets" bandwagon at the deadline, the Sedins are a different case and simply deserve different treatment.

I can understand from their end. Even if they were to accept being traded to a contender, would it be worth it to maybe have a small chance of winning with a team you have no affiliation toward, with teammates you don't know, and leave behind the city, team and family you've been with your entire career? I'm not sure.

I can really understand, and believe they're telling the truth, when in that Player's Tribune article they say that even if they could win with another team, it just wouldn't feel the same.

They're not going to Sundin us. They're going to come back or retire. The Sedins, for all intents and purposes, ARE the Canucks. Let them do what they want.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
Before I go on, been fans of theirs since way back when they were the sisters getting faces smacked into the glass, theyve paid their dues.

But its frustrating to think we could get some useful assets for them as rentals, a few playoff teams can get them under the cap, play as 3rd liners on a cup run. BUT...they wont wave and would rather ride it out on a sinking ship because its comfortable? 3 months of inconvenience is too much to deal with?

The signing team(Winnipeg?) wouldnt be able to resign them next year anyway...back to Van for a 1 year contract and retire as Canucks as they stated.
Sure the rest of the year would be worse but were not playoff bound anyway and theyd be worth picks/prospects and be back in their Kitsalano houses for next year.

I guess the same can be applied to Edler

Is there a desire to win or just play out your contract?

Rant over
They've earned the right to do what they want without any pressure from the fanbase (or management).

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Aside from the fact that they're an expensive package duo in the first place, yes, they'd rather stay with their families than have a small chance of winning the cup -- no actual serious contender is going to be able to afford them anyways at this point.

At a certain age you just don't give a f*** and start prioritizing shit away from the rink. Let me ask you this -- does all of your life revolve around your occupation?

tiny103

Jun 28, 2008
Ottawa
If the Sedins pulled a Sundin on us that would hurt. But I agree

Sundin should have finished as a Leaf. They didn't want him from what I remember. Unless we start pushing Sedins out (which so far we aren't), we won't be pulling a Sundin.

Still love wearing my sundin canuck shirt around my toronto family :)

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Club legends for sure. I'd cheer hard for them if the went somewhere else for a run. I'll cheer for them if they retire. I'll cheer for them if they return.

Certainly their call.

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
I believe its up to the Sedins to do what they think is best for them, the club, and the fans.

I know when it comes to respect, I have a lot of respect for Burrows and Hansen, for giving this team and its fans something to look forward to in the future.

Granted I didn't like the returns on their trades, as I prefer high draft picks, but at least they showed me they cared. And its not their fault this team is ran by bumbling fools.

I do hope the Sedins go at the deadline, and pull off an amazing deal for our team. And go on to win a cup with Pittsburgh for example. But I also know this has about a 1 percent chance of happening.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Sundin should have finished as a Leaf. They didn't want him from what I remember. Unless we start pushing Sedins out (which so far we aren't), we won't be pulling a Sundin.

Still love wearing my sundin canuck shirt around my toronto family :)

I'm not sure if Toronto 'wanted' Sundin or not, but they were certainly trying to trade him, this fact and his refusal to waive all went public, and the media and fans jumped all over him. After all that he may not have wanted to go back.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The chattering classes in the local sports media are already speculating that the Sedins want to come back next year, even throwing around what the contract number could be......but Benning just conceded he hasn't any discussions with the Sedins' agent J.P. Barry....so I'm guessing they haven't even decided what to do yet.

Let's be brutally frank here....even if they do come back, it'll only be for one season....Canucks would be crazy to offer any other term than that....and if the Canucks are no-better next year (highly probable), why would they want to come back?.....a lot is riding on the next couple of months....if the Canucks close out the season like they did a year ago (five wins in 20 games), I think they'll chuck it and head back to the SHL.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Even if they were willing to leave, it would be hard to trade them at this year's deadline considering they'd be 3rd liners on a contender and they can only retain salary on one of them. They've made it clear that they would only want to win in Vancouver, personally I admire the loyalty they have to the franchise, they deserve every last bit of their no-move clauses so no one can dispute they haven't earned the right to make that decision. As fan who has seen their entire tenure play out to become legends of the team, it would be weird seeing them finish their careers in foreign jerseys as oppose to with the Canucks. Even if they were dealt the return package wouldn't help the future outlook of the franchise significantly compared to the package they got in return for Linden which essentially brought the team out the previous dark ages, which supports the argument that they should've been shopped and traded after the sweep against the Sharks, but that's a moot point.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I agree with the OP. I don't think the Sedins care about winning (and I do think that's a huge problem). If your goal in whatever sport you play in, is not to win the highest award in that sport (in this case, obviously the Stanley Cup) then what are you doing still playing? Of course, anything anti-Sedin gets attacked on here so I will expect nothing else but a whole flood of excuses. My point still stands.

If you don't have the competitive drive to want to win the Stanley Cup every year, as a player, you should no longer be a player. If the Sedins prefer to just play out their contracts here, don't care about winning, and just want to make money and stay in this city then that's a problem. That's someone who I do not want being captain of this team, and that creates a serious identity problem for the team. How can the team improve when their leaders don't have the competitive drive to win a championship?

Reactions: pomorick and dwarf

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
The cold, calculated, rational move would be to trade them, and then re-sign them, yes,

But I can respect that they don't want to go anywhere. And while I usually am on the "trade away vets" bandwagon at the deadline, the Sedins are a different case and simply deserve different treatment.

I can understand from their end. Even if they were to accept being traded to a contender, would it be worth it to maybe have a small chance of winning with a team you have no affiliation toward, with teammates you don't know, and leave behind the city, team and family you've been with your entire career? I'm not sure.

I can really understand, and believe they're telling the truth, when in that Player's Tribune article they say that even if they could win with another team, it just wouldn't feel the same.

They're not going to Sundin us. They're going to come back or retire. The Sedins, for all intents and purposes, ARE the Canucks. Let them do what they want.

Leaving behind that team, city, teammates for a couple of months? What's wrong with that? I give mega props and respect to Ray Bourque who did this. His trade helped the Bruins enter into a rebuild while bringing him a Cup which he brought back to Boston.

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
I agree with the OP. I don't think the Sedins care about winning (and I do think that's a huge problem). If your goal in whatever sport you play in, is not to win the highest award in that sport (in this case, obviously the Stanley Cup) then what are you doing still playing? Of course, anything anti-Sedin gets attacked on here so I will expect nothing else but a whole flood of excuses. My point still stands.

If you don't have the competitive drive to want to win the Stanley Cup every year, as a player, you should no longer be a player. If the Sedins prefer to just play out their contracts here, don't care about winning, and just want to make money and stay in this city then that's a problem. That's someone who I do not want being captain of this team, and that creates a serious identity problem for the team. How can the team improve when their leaders don't have the competitive drive to win a championship?

This is why players like Luongo and Kesler wanted out of town. To win at hockey it requires a whole team to do it. And if your best players are not sacrificing everything to win, why bother.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England

What a surprise, y2k craps on the Sedins, what's new?

Reactions: billvanseattle

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
This is why players like Luongo and Kesler wanted out of town. To win at hockey it requires a whole team to do it. And if your best players are not sacrificing everything to win, why bother.

Kesler yes....Luongo really disappointed me by wanting to force a trade to Florida. If he really wanted to win I'm sure he would have been looking for a team that was a good goalie away from competing. He won't win a Cup in Florida.

Reactions: Kreator

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 2