Do the Oilers organization need to call out refs ?

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
Sometimes I wonder what Pat Quinn (RIP) would have to say about all the crap from the refs this season. :laugh:

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
someone in the game thread mentioned that Hall let the ref have it basically, and if that's true (and I believe it is) then it's no wonder he never catches a break. The players need to be more like McDavid and just suppress the hate and skate it off. Refs are a vindictive bunch, and they probably talk to each other and stand up for each other.
None of this crap has worked going on many years . Hall has enough finally said something. :help:

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
It's beyond the point of being a conspiracy theory that the refs play favourites. Pretty unacceptable to have this level of bias in the officiating of a major sport league.

Start collecting evidence, I'd say. Penalties against Oilers that are missed (trip on Hall), calls against Oilers that affect the game (Lucic interference, phantom offside), and weak penalties from Oilers players. Could probably compile a few dozen hours of footage from this season alone.

Calling out the refs isn't going to change anything, though.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
The refs are all failed hockey players that are jealous of the first over all picks and are making them pay for it. Seriously though, for whatever reason the Reffing has been so brutal it needs to change.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Officiating has gotten progressively worse since the league took their names off their jerseys and helped them escape accountability. I don't for a second think that was an accidental coincidence either. I'd love to see the names go back on just so the fans can easily know who they're yelling at.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
The Oilers get the short end of the stick so much it's just crazy. Almost everyone i talk to is seeing the same thing, they've got to do something. It's just absurd.

Oct 15, 2008
Officiating has gotten progressively worse since the league took their names off their jerseys and helped them escape accountability. I don't for a second think that was an accidental coincidence either. I'd love to see the names go back on just so the fans can easily know who they're yelling at.

Bingo. The league is going for less, not more accountability.

One of the benefits of lawyers running the league.

Whiston532

Dec 27, 2010
Edmonton
Even I'll agree officiating needs a huge overhaul.

But are we still banging the anti-oilers drum ? Even I won't defend officiating this year. But every team in the league has fans saying this exact same thing

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Its important to remember that Officials always represent some nature of human bias. In most sports, most endeavors, its a poor idea to complain incessantly to those that can engage in some level of disciplinary action towards you.

Whether that be any authority. A judge, police officer, manager, supervisor, official, teacher, etc.

Engaging in the first instinct, to rant about treatment is very likely to begat more of that which you are complaining about.

The Oilers, for whatever reason, and I won't get into all of that on this topic, are a fairly unlikeable team and org within the NHL. We're the red headed step child of this league right now. Just the way it is.

Officials communicate, its a fraternity, and they are human, innately biased, and regardless of training, expertise, will go into games with preconceived agenda. Unfortunately its very much human nature to do so.

The last thing you want to do with authority figures, typically, is be whining, complaining incessantly, and blaming, reporting, finger pointing.

OK to state the case assertively but pick the spots. Rather than doing it too little its possible the Oilers have been calling out too much. I think at this point animosity exists between officials and this club. That's not what you want to instill.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
If they would have said something a week ago, these last few games might have got more media attention.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
From earlier in the season

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-...hallenge--mediocre-arena-wi-fi-071253671.html

Considering he's probably being quite diplomatic in the media and is still kind of saying that the refs can't admit when they're wrong, there is probably some anger behind the scenes over all the bad calls this year.

I was watching after the GM meetings and it was ****ed when asked about the review. They made it sound like it has to be blatant and something that you could see at the speed of the game, not in a slowdown mode from different angles.

Really just don't understand officiating in professional sports as a whole. At least the NFL they overturn calls.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Its important to remember that Officials always represent some nature of human bias. In most sports, most endeavors, its a poor idea to complain incessantly to those that can engage in some level of disciplinary action towards you.

Whether that be any authority. A judge, police officer, manager, supervisor, official, teacher, etc.

Engaging in the first instinct, to rant about treatment is very likely to begat more of that which you are complaining about.

The Oilers, for whatever reason, and I won't get into all of that on this topic, are a fairly unlikeable team and org within the NHL. We're the red headed step child of this league right now. Just the way it is.

Officials communicate, its a fraternity, and they are human, innately biased, and regardless of training, expertise, will go into games with preconceived agenda. Unfortunately its very much human nature to do so.

The last thing you want to do with authority figures, typically, is be whining, complaining incessantly, and blaming, reporting, finger pointing.

OK to state the case assertively but pick the spots. Rather than doing it too little its possible the Oilers have been calling out too much. I think at this point animosity exists between officials and this club. That's not what you want to instill.

I agree there is always a basis, but when reviewable calls that should go our way aren't going are way then there is some major issues.

Last edited:

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
I think they call them out, but I think its done way differently than you guys think.

Chia will no doubt let them know what he thinks, but it will be a private conversation that we will never hear about it. I would imagine lots of evidence will be included.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I think they call them out, but I think its done way differently than you guys think.

Chia will no doubt let them know what he thinks, but it will be a private conversation that we will never hear about it. I would imagine lots of evidence will be included.

There is repercussions as well. As playoffs go on and teams are eliminated so are refs. Not exactly what fans like as a whole, but it is something

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I agree there is always a basis, but when reviewable calls that should go our way aren't going are way then there is some major issues.

Oh I don't doubt it. But every level of analysis is still involving judgement. In sports that have adopted it increased levels of reviews have arguably resulted in worse decisions being made and more disruption to real time type decisions and games.

cites CFL.

Trouble is any decision that is subject to interpretation can get screwed up in any review. Albeit something like the offside should never occur and a review would indicate that of course the play was onside. But perhaps what the NHL, in common sense, should tell the refs is that in the case of doubt, where you aren't sure, the rule should be play on, instead of call it offside. Once you've called that offside theres nothing that can be done, The scoring opportunity and circumstance is lost. play on at least allows latent review to see if they got it right.

its a complex problem.

One thing I didn't mention in the earlier post is that authority figure positions tend to select for individuals that want to have a sense of control. Fact of the matter is a fair number of individuals that are attracted to being pro officials are probably innately self important individuals. Because people without that quality would find the same position to be unattractive. So that officials ranks select for obstinance, stubbornness, control freaks, etc. I really don't know how you weed that out of the equation either.

Particularly in the CFL its seemingly only idiots that apply. its not really an attractive job.

The NHL should be able to recruit better because its a much higher financed league.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
There is repercussions as well. As playoffs go on and teams are eliminated so are refs. Not exactly what fans like as a whole, but it is something

Culling of the herd is only helpful when there is genetic differentiation within the herd and that there are differentially good genes to promote.. (thats a genetic biological argument that can apply here) :D

In the case of NHL officials how many good ones are there presently?

The reality as well is that NHL officials are currently undergoing a rebuild, much like the Edmonton Oilers. So that when Oilers games are on we get to see the worst from several angles..;)

Darwinism so evident..

blue_n_copper

Nov 30, 2006

I would love to be a fly on the wall for that conversation. "Unless you *****ers want that last ever game at Rexall to end in a *****ing fan riot, you better send us your best *****ing veteran refs and you better tell them to take their heads out of their *****ing *******s!"

Last edited by a moderator:

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015

If they have this much animosity, they need to be taking up a different line of work. They are not professionals if they can't weed out being this subjective as much as they possibly can. They may as well be figure skating judges, ;)

Mowgli

Nov 14, 2014
The idea the oilers have been on the wrong side of more calls than their opposition is both laughable and completely understandable when you consider we all want someone to blame for yet another awful season. Terry Jones' math at the beginning of this season is embarrassing enough and now he adds this "refs owe us points for next year"? Come on now.

These comments are found on every team's boards and just like everyone who gambles thinks their ahead, every team's fans think they're persecuted.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
The idea the oilers have been on the wrong side of more calls than their opposition is both laughable and completely understandable when you consider we all want someone to blame for yet another awful season. Terry Jones' math at the beginning of this season is embarrassing enough and now he adds this "refs owe us points for next year"? Come on now.

These comments are found on every team's boards and just like everyone who gambles thinks their ahead, every team's fans think they're persecuted.

While this is true the vast majority of the time, it isn't always the case. Fans of other teams often come here to say how messed up the reffing has been (and it has been increasing as other teams are getting negatively impacted in the playoff race)

It could be something as simple as a young team not getting enough reputation calls.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

Every continually uncalled tackle of an Oiler forward suggests otherwise. There's atleast one or two a game, every game.

The League isn't "out to get" the Oilers, but to seriously suggest they are treated the same as all other teams is just flat out wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad