Do the Oilers organization need to call out refs ?

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Ugh no. Starting witch hunts for refs that make calls you don't like isn't how you solve any problems. The refs aren't there to purposefully screw teams over, and I'm sure when they make bad calls they get punished in some manner.

Refs have a thankless job, be considerate.

Their job is thankless because they do such a utterly crappy job! :laugh:

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
normal.png

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Ugh no. Starting witch hunts for refs that make calls you don't like isn't how you solve any problems. The refs aren't there to purposefully screw teams over, and I'm sure when they make bad calls they get punished in some manner.

I'm sympathetic to them when the call is legitimately tough but refs that consistently make blatantly terrible calls don't deserve any sympathy

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011

Missing the first call was bad but whatever - it's a fast sport and things happen

Completely ****ing up the review is unforgivable. Having a union that prevents the advancement of the sport is also unforgivable.

Kerricthebig

Jovial Imbecile
Nov 9, 2011
Get your tinfoil hats ready boyos, I think this goes all the way to the top.

I don't worry too much about the bad reffing when it is equally bad for each team, however if you follow the calls and non-calls throughout the last few seasons, you begin to see a pattern.

However I think the problem goes higher than the refs to the point it may be a league mandate. Especially when you consider that 2 headshots that injured our players this season both went unpunished.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
ITT: the irony of people complaining about the refs without realizing they are doing exactly what Komrade Katz told them to do... (hint: it rhymes with rank) :sarcasm:

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I am cancelling my center ice subscription done ever contributing another penny to the NHL in my life ever.

Epoh

Nov 22, 2014
Did that a couple weeks ago already - not worth it anymore.

Unfortunately someone else will be perfectly willing to ignorantly vote yes with their dollar and pay those loons off for their piss poor job on the ice.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
People who defend NHL refs need to be treated like people who defended Eakins/MacT/Lowe last year.

IAGTTAYM

Dec 15, 2006
The reffing is complete and utter garbage. But I don't see any upside in talking about it with the media. If anything it has a chance of backfiring, and you end up with even less calls going your away.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
someone in the game thread mentioned that Hall let the ref have it basically, and if that's true (and I believe it is) then it's no wonder he never catches a break. The players need to be more like McDavid and just suppress the hate and skate it off. Refs are a vindictive bunch, and they probably talk to each other and stand up for each other.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
The refs are a bunch of egotistical buttwads hiding behind a union. Abolish the union and bring some accountability into reffing

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
The problem with going public is the refs would respond by being even worse towards the Oilers. The team is in a bad spot.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
someone in the game thread mentioned that Hall let the ref have it basically, and if that's true (and I believe it is) then it's no wonder he never catches a break. The players need to be more like McDavid and just suppress the hate and skate it off. Refs are a vindictive bunch, and they probably talk to each other and stand up for each other.

But if Hall were to skate it off and not say anything, wouldn't we start accusing of him of pouting? :sarcasm:

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
My issue with it being called offside is why don't they let the play continue if anything results in a goal - review the play in it's entirety, and call it back.

It would much be like if you scored a goal and the play continued on. Yes there is the chance players stop playing but to me it makes the most sense. Why is it they can have it one way but not the other. Sometimes you see a call definitively and other times you don't - this would actually make it so the ref wouldn't have to call a perfect game or feel like he had to. It wouldn't even have to be a coaches challenge just review at the whistle - same as you review any goal that went in but was missed.

Let's say hypothetically also the Oilers score, and it is offside, and the Ducks don't challenge. It would be EXACTLY like in the NFL when a incomplete catch or catch out of bounds is made and it's incomplete, but no one challenges. It's why when I was debating a poster a few weeks I go I felt that tried to be perfect actually makes the game have more errors. This actually speaks volumes that the refs fail on real time judgment, and don't trust video review judgement.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Every team needs to call out the refs IMO, whether it is behind closed doors or elsewhere. This is a league wide problem, not just an Oiler problem. I watched three games today and all three games featured awful officiating, and in each game they managed to embarrass themselves and impact the game in completely different ways.

The age old excuses of "these guys have a tough job" and "the game is fast, it's tough to get everything right" have to stop getting trotted out every damn time the stripes blatantly pooch games. This is easily the worst it's ever been, and unless the NHL stops making excuses and does something about it it will only get worse.

My prediction is that the stripes have an awful playoff featuring a slate of brutal calls that cost teams games, topped off by controversial and confusing replay calls. In a twisted way I hope this happens, because the league has proven that they won't take action unless they are forced to.

Ive been saying this for weeks. Its also NOT a league wide problem as much as it is a problem affecting ALOT of teams.

Its affecting more than just the Oilers but i watch alot of other teams games and i can tell you...there is a conscious thing going on here

Its a clown product. I wont be watching the playoffs. All canadians should really opt out of watching hockey at the end of the year.

f it

Canadian teams as a whole have gotten the shaft. Detroit even has gotten the shaft in a lot of games...which makes me astounded. Big Hockey Markets are getting shafted./

IVe said it all year and harping it hard the last few weeks

refs used to be respected and if you threw something at them or whatever it would be WAY out of line. now i think they have a target on their backs. they have made a mockery of the league this year

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Calling out the officials might act as some sort of catharsis for the fans, but it doesn't accomplish anything positive in terms of getting calls in games. If anything you'll just have refs that will hold grudges over it.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Calling out the officials might act as some sort of catharsis for the fans, but it doesn't accomplish anything positive in terms of getting calls in games. If anything you'll just have refs that will hold grudges over it.

or put them under the microscope

slip up then....

i say someone goes on tv and says "stop buying nhl merch until the product is completely fixed"

thats what needs to happen

i should specify nhl LICENSED merch. wear your chinese rip-offs with pride that you dont pay these idiots salaries

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Don't call them out. Get Katz to use his deep pockets to bribe them instead. Subtle bribes, like offer to give the ref's kids parts in the movies he's making.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Yes, they need to call them out. This has been pathetic for a while now and tonight was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Don't like McLellan dodging it at all.

Oct 15, 2008

Keeping quiet is sure working well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad