Do the Oilers miss the playoffs again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 3, 2005
Vancouver BC
This thread would have been better if it was posted in early to mid-November. By then you'll know for sure if they already eliminated themselves or if by some miracle they're actually being competitive. All this prognostication is useless.

Reactions: bionic

blue_n_copper

Nov 30, 2006
When I read the Oilers forums they seem to believe that Ty Rattie is going to solve their winger problems...and his hype is being generated through pre-season games and the local media.
Is that what they seem to believe? It certainly isn't what they post. McLellan said today that Rattie is having a fantastic camp but hasn't faced any strong competition yet like he will tomorrow and we will see. He is right and I think that is much closer to the consensus on the Oilers forums than what you wrote.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
McDavid is good enough to carry that entire team to a #8 slot.

That said, they get annihilated in the playoffs.

Do I think this is likely? No. But it's possible.

Unless Chia gets the boot and they start bring in some more impactful guys that fit a system that fits the strengths of their makeup...spinning wheels.

BillNy

Jun 20, 2018
I don't have them in, but they're not far enough out that shit couldn't happen.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
McDavid is good enough to carry that entire team to a #8 slot.

That said, they get annihilated in the playoffs.

Do I think this is likely? No. But it's possible.

Unless Chia gets the boot and they start bring in some more impactful guys that fit a system that fits the strengths of their makeup...spinning wheels.
Mcdavid isn't even good enough to do that.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
It's very very rare for a team to have the best player in the world and still miss the playoffs. I don't see it happening two seasons in a row.

blue_n_copper

Nov 30, 2006
[mod]

As for the question, the Oilers can make the playoffs if Talbot has a good year and stays healthy. If he doesn't then probably not. Last year proved that Talbot is more important to the Oilers success than McDavid is in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
OP is a known Oilers hater that does nothing but fly by posts of “Oilers fans said this”, but offers no proof other than “he heard it”.

So what’s the point of this thread? An ego boost If the Oilers do bad.

Reactions: Dieseloil

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
OP is a known Oilers hater that does nothing but fly by posts of “Oilers fans said this”, but offers no proof other than “he heard it”.

So what’s the point of this thread? An ego boost If the Oilers do bad.
He's a Flyers fan from Edmonton. He talks to all the fans, Tad!

cobra427

May 6, 2012
It's very very rare for a team to have the best player in the world and still miss the playoffs. I don't see it happening two seasons in a row.
Vegas had the worst odds to get to the finals of any team last year and they still did it. D and goal tending can carry you, high scoring forwards not so much. With the Oilers its not about McAll world, its about Talbot being top 10, but their D is pretty awful still. I think they can make it but its on Talbot.

Reactions: MessierII

Oilerfan1000

Jun 4, 2018
Agree. Goaltending or lack of, is the biggest single reason for success or failure. The Edmonton/Winnipeg teams of the last two years, are prime examples of what goal tending can do for a team. Same basic teams, but with two entirely different results stemming from the goaltending performances. When the goaltender is hot, it builds confidence in eveyones game,and when they are not it takes the wind out of the sales of the whole team.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Agree. Goaltending or lack of, is the biggest single reason for success or failure. The Edmonton/Winnipeg teams of the last two years, are prime examples of what goal tending can do for a team. Same basic teams, but with two entirely different results stemming from the goaltending performances. When the goaltender is hot, it builds confidence in eveyones game,and when they are not it takes the wind out of the sales of the whole team.

Oilers had more problems than that. Having the worst PP while having the best playmaker is just absurd. Replacing Hall with Lucic and Larsson was idiotic. They need scoring wingers like crazy now. I think the Oil can turn it around this year but last year's failure is all on the GM.

Oilerfan1000

Jun 4, 2018
Oilers had more problems than that. Having the worst PP while having the best playmaker is just absurd. Replacing Hall with Lucic and Larsson was idiotic. They need scoring wingers like crazy now. I think the Oil can turn it around this year but last year's failure is all on the GM.

Agree, but the play on the ice is hardly the GM’s fault. Blame the PP on coaching.. if the oilers have success this year with the same players, how can this be a GM Problem?

This is the tell tale year for this GM.

Hall was done in Edmonton. Getting rid of him was what was required for Hall and the Oilers. Larsson is a very good defenceman, and I liked the trade. It looked good the first year didn’t it with the oilers in the playoffs for the first time in 10 years,and NJ out.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Things that would have to go right:
- Special teams: we were so horrible in both PP and PK last year that even a return to league average would make a significant difference in our spot in the standings
- Goaltending: 2016-17 Talbot needs to return
- Healthy D-core: Can't afford injuries to Klefbom, Larsson or Nurse
- Wingers: Need some wingers to step up and contribute. I expect big seasons from JP and RNH

If all these things can happen, I think we have a shot. We're definitely a bubble team.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Vegas had the worst odds to get to the finals of any team last year and they still did it. D and goal tending can carry you, high scoring forwards not so much. With the Oilers its not about McAll world, its about Talbot being top 10, but their D is pretty awful still. I think they can make it but its on Talbot.
I actually agree with this 100%. The oilers season will come down to goaltending.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
They scored 2 less goals than 2016-17 at even strength. Worst PP in the league was the problem. Not the wingers.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
If you think about it the only person in all of hockey who could manage to neutralize McDavid is Chiarelli. But McDavid is so great I think he overcomes the Chia obstacle and carries the Oilers into the postseason (And wins a round or two to boot).

Steeze

Dazed Dilettante.
Jul 23, 2015
giphy (1).gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00