Do the Leafs catch the Bruins for 2nd and HOME ICE

Will Leafs catch Bruins

• Total voters

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Well the good news from it is the Leafs will not be coasting like last year when we knew we had 3rd place 2 months before season ended. This year we got something to play for HOME ice. Motivation plays a big role. I think we can beat them for 2nd place. I also think it will make the difference in a series between 2 teams who are very close.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I'm saying no. The Bruins are playing some exceptional hockey right now, at the same time of the season where they really elevated their play last season too. Once again, Cassidy has them ramping it up at the right time of the year, and remains one of the most underrated coaches in this league.

Boston did this very thing last year for a long stretch, so this isn't exactly new territory for them.

member 262271

The first step would be for Boston to lose a game, which seems physically impossible at the moment.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Yeah, we got'em.

They just went on an insane streak and couldn't dust us.

member 262271

I'm saying no. The Bruins are playing some exceptional hockey right now, at the same time of the season where they really elevated their play last season too. Once again, Cassidy has them ramping it up at the right time of the year, and remains one of the most underrated coaches in this league.

Boston did this very thing last year for a long stretch, so this isn't exactly new territory for them.
Exactly, it's last year all over again. Call me pessimistic, but I bet they go 16-0 to close the season. :facepalm:

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
It's game to game for me. If the Leafs lose tonight, their chance decrease significantly. On the flip, if the Leafs win, the chances improve significantly too. If we win tonight and they lose their next game, now we're talking.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I'll say no. Boston has been too hot and show no signs of slowing down. We can't afford even a stumble or a small gap turns into a bigger gap in a hurry.

The Leafs are playing well. They have a chance to catch them. But I don't think there's enough time for Boston to cool off and the Leafs to overtake.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
If Boston goes 8-8 they have 105 points
The Leafs would need to go 9-6-1 to tie them in points and finish 2nd

Doable, but that’s a tough hill to climb.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

Zizzzzy

Dec 6, 2017
I don't understand the point of a thread pole like this. I'm going to say yes they catch them, because in a hypothetical scenario why wouldn't I pick the most preferred outcome?

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015
Boston has the tougher schedule, but neither is crazy difficult. It will be crazy if it comes down to the last game against Tampa and they rest all their guys...

No worries, we beat them 4-2 even when all their guys were playing

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Better off losing into WC1 than staying put in ATL3

If we do get to a point like last year where we are basically guaranteed the 3rd spot should they start to Load Manage the Core? 44, 34, 16, 91, 31

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
It looks like Toronto's slump is behind them. They've been solid since around the Muzzin trade (not saying that's the reason, just that they were on a pretty bad streak before then.)

The question is, does Boston ride this streak to the playoffs or do they hit a bump and slow down a bit? If they slump for even 5-6 games I think Toronto takes them.

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015
I'll say no. Boston has been too hot and show no signs of slowing down. We can't afford even a stumble or a small gap turns into a bigger gap in a hurry.

The Leafs are playing well. They have a chance to catch them. But I don't think there's enough time for Boston to cool off and the Leafs to overtake.

I do see a sign of them maybe cooling down and that is the same thing that happened with Buffalo. In Feb, 7 of their wins were by one goal (not including empty netters) and 4 of those were OT or SO. Then they have 2 wins in March both by 1 goal so let's hope that the hockey gods turn on them like they did on Buffalo. This is why our goal differential is way higher than theirs. Though they did beat San Jose and Tampa 4-1 but then we've beaten them both also this season.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Catch them or not as long as it goes down to the wire and they are over playing their older core it bods well for us and our young core. Last year after we pushed them they lost to Tampa as they were done.

We will win the series this year and easier the longer they have to lean on their core to get home ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad