HF Habs: Do the Habs need to lose?

what is best for our team

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Well, I can sit there and be frustrated about winning the games or I can enjoy them with my son. I'll choose the latter.

Once again, nothing can be done about it now. It will be what it will be. We can't make deadline trades anymore and our players aren't going to play to lose. So, might as well just enjoy the games.

YES it's better for us if we lose in the long run. But I'm not going to let that ruin my night in front of the TV if we're winning a game.
Yeah I get that. For me it's like the tanking thing though, there's a certain humour and enjoyment I get from the absurdity of wincing when the Habs get a 2 on 1 and being anxious that the Penguins are wasting their own PP chances.

Reactions: Omar

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
McGuire saying many players are fed up of everything involved with living in the bubble and expects teams who fall behind 2-0 in games to pack it in, wanting to head home. Feeling amongst orgs/management is this will be the toughest road to the Cup due to dedication & resolve required amongst teams/players to last the long haul.
How does adding a 5-game Play-In make this the "Toughest road to the Cup" compared to the normal grind of 82-games plus playoffs? In fact, this is -- by far -- the shortest, easiest path to the Cup.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
How does adding a 5-game Play-In make this the "Toughest road to the Cup" compared to the normal grind of 82-games plus playoffs? In fact, this is -- by far -- the shortest, easiest path to the Cup.

Some players are on record saying it will be harder so it's a good debate IMO. 16 teams have an extra round to play. Each playoff series is a war

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
It’s not the number of games which they referenced as causing “toughest road to Cup”, it’s the addition of mental discipline required to execute the daily rituals of living in a bubble in addition to regular commitment required during playoff hockey. The daily testing, not exiting the bubble following all restrictions etc.

He said lots of players are ready to throw in the towel if the get down 2-0, to return to their daily life outside the bubble

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Some players are on record saying it will be harder so it's a good debate IMO. 16 teams have an extra round to play. Each playoff series is a war
It's not harder based on the actual hockey.

It’s not the number of games which they referenced as causing “toughest road to Cup”, it’s the addition of discipline required to execute the daily rituals of living in a bubble in addition to everything required in during regular life of playoff hockey. The daily testing, not exiting the bubble following all restrictions etc.

He said lots of players are ready to throw in the towel if the get down 2-0, to return to their daily life outside the bubble
Okay, that makes sense based on the psychology of how some may feel trapped or cut off. On the other hand, others probably find these circumstances easier and less stressful -- no travel, no change of routine. My semantic complaint: I wouldn't call any of that the 'road to the Cup', which sounds more like you're describing the physical demand. It's more of a personal mindset.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
In an ideal world Habs young players all get a legit shot to show their worth while Habs bow out respectfully in the play-in round.
This is what the best scenario is for this franchise , doesn't guarantee 1st overall or future success but does give us what we need , a solid shot at adding another top prospect to our crop of young players.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
It’s not the number of games which they referenced as causing “toughest road to Cup”, it’s the addition of mental discipline required to execute the daily rituals of living in a bubble in addition to regular commitment required during playoff hockey. The daily testing, not exiting the bubble following all restrictions etc.

I seriously doubt players are going to remain away from ''normal'' life until October, especially considering the NHL decided to use two cities that are very well under control as hubs.
I mean, wasn't that the point? Isn't there just about 100 or so cases happening in those provinces?
Pretty sure after a couple weeks they'll have more outside interaction.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I seriously doubt players are going to remain away from ''normal'' life until October, especially considering the NHL decided to use two cities that are very well under control as hubs.
I mean, wasn't that the point? Isn't there just about 100 or so cases happening in those provinces?
Pretty sure after a couple weeks they'll have more outside interaction.
McGuire said NHL has zero tolerance for breaking any bubble rule. The only ones with outside interaction (unless there’s a miraculous vaccine) will be those who’ve lost.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I disagree NHL seems to have zero tolerance for breaking any bubble rule. The only ones with outside interaction (unless there’s a miraculous vaccine) will be those who’ve lost.
Zero tolerance meaning what? What's the bubble? Arena to hotel - hotel to arena? You can't go out to the grocery store to get something you really want to eat? What happens if they break this? They'll be kicked out? Well some players won't care after a certain point because this looks more like house arrest.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Zero tolerance meaning what? What's the bubble? Arena to hotel - hotel to arena? You can't go out to the grocery store to get something you really want to eat? What happens if they break this? They'll be kicked out? Well some players won't care after a certain point because this looks more like house arrest.

Yeah, I can't see them being stuck in a hotel for 2 months. Those teams who get down to the final 8 or final 4? That's a long time to control millionaires. Should be interesting to see how it goes cause it's only about a week now

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
No grocery store, no restaurants nothing outside the NHL & NHLPA established physical territory - physical barriers are in place. Even the walk from hotel to arena is separated from public. There’s an eating area, lounge area with TVs, gaming area, bar. They showed it on NBC. Wouldn’t shock me if NHL has employed their own gestapo to be on the lookout for those who deviate.

It is for all intents & purposes a real physical bubble minus the spherical shape. No interaction whatsoever with anyone except those allowed in the bubble - it’s basically living like Howard Hughes towards the end of his life

Last edited:
Reactions: 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

I just noticed teams like washington and tampa are playing.

Is this basically exhibition hockey for them?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Easier for the top 8 for sure but not the 16 play in teams. Would the Jets and Flames be playing that hard where Scheifele gets hurt (if they were in the top 8)? :dunno:. I would imagine if any team in the 16 play in round reaches the final 4, they will have more than the average amount of injuries to deal with.

Any best of 5 or best of 7 series is a war. Those 16 teams have an extra round to deal with and that is a big deal

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Clearly, the better thing for us long term is to lose the series. That doesn't mean the team should try to lose. That will NEVER happen, nor should it.

What should've happened was us selling at the deadline. THAT makes sense. But it didn't happen and now here we are.

Bottom line though, I actually really enjoyed the game on Saturday. Never expected that I would. But it was fun seeing hockey back and it was a great game to watch. It's beyond our control as to what happens now so I'll just watch and enjoy it while I can.
Bergevin sold at the deadline. Traded Kovalchuk, Scandella and Cousins. Ideally, he would've also traded guys like Tatar and Petry and gotten huge returns for them, but they're under contract next season, and I imagine Bergevin thinks the team compete for the playoffs with them. I don't agree with that, but I understand it.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012

There was some intensity in the Washington Tampa game yesterday. They are playing for seeding.

MM425

Aug 14, 2005
In an ideal world Habs young players all get a legit shot to show their worth while Habs bow out respectfully in the play-in round.
This is what the best scenario is for this franchise , doesn't guarantee 1st overall or future success but does give us what we need , a solid shot at adding another top prospect to our crop of young players.

Agreed and I think we're well on our way to this outcome. It's only two games but what I've seen from #14 and #15 is encouraging.

Reactions: KotkaSpicy

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Bergevin sold at the deadline. Traded Kovalchuk, Scandella and Cousins. Ideally, he would've also traded guys like Tatar and Petry and gotten huge returns for them, but they're under contract next season, and I imagine Bergevin thinks the team compete for the playoffs with them. I don't agree with that, but I understand it.

It may also be because he wants to discuss contracts with them during the offseason before making a decision one way or another.

I was pretty critical of him because he didn't move either, but he also didn't move Pacioretty at the deadline, and he still got a good return for him.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Unfortunately, next years draft is trash.. so we may end up losing value if we have to sell.

Only if the return is picks.

That's not really Bergevin's MO though, he likes hockey trades. Think something modeled after the Pacioretty trade, just with likely a lesser return.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
There was some intensity in the Washington Tampa game yesterday. They are playing for seeding.

They are going to play to win but only one game against three different teams. Not the same as a series trying knock out a team to reach the next round

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008

I think it's so he doesn't have to use the word that shall not be spoken...

This just in, footage of Bergevin having to use the word "rebuild" :

e3635c15-863d-407a-a6c6-6b301b2ac55e_text.gif

:sarcasm::sarcasm:

Last edited:
Reactions: Le Tricolore

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Jake Sanderson might play for us in 5 years.

While I have nothing against him picking him would be boring as f*** and he just reeks of a habs draft pick.

I’m gonna go with trying to win.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
No grocery store, no restaurants nothing outside the NHL & NHLPA established physical territory - physical barriers are in place. Even the walk from hotel to arena is separated from public. There’s an eating area, lounge area with TVs, gaming area, bar. They showed it on NBC. Wouldn’t shock me if NHL has employed their own gestapo to be on the lookout for those who deviate.

It is for all intents & purposes a real physical bubble minus the spherical shape. No interaction whatsoever with anyone except those allowed in the bubble - it’s basically living like Howard Hughes towards the end of his life

Yes well that's my point. I can totally see players cracking, so not surprised McGuire said some guys are already fed up 2 games in. This is meant to continue until October for some? Ya...good luck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad