HF Habs: Do the Habs need to lose?

what is best for our team

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Mods kindly edit the title in the form of a question Do the Habs need to lose.
much appreciated

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
It's the Cup or nothing. If they win this series, I will only be happy if they go all the way, otherwise what's the point? The experience will come regardless. If they won the Cup, I could forgive this franchise for all the BS over the years.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
There's no easy answer to that.

Both Price and Subban benefited immensely from our run to the ECF, and there's lots of reason to think that a similar run would really help the development of Suzuki and Kotkaniemi. If those two can reach their potential thats a couple big pieces of a contender. But on the flip side there's that #1 pick to consider.

There's simply no way of knowing which is actually going to be better for us long term.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
If they were in a position that could challenge and go far, I could absolutely see the benefit of winning. However,they do not. Yes, they are capable of beating Pittsburgh,but what’s the point when they’d get swept in the next round? It accomplishes nothing except getting them a worse pick, AND Lafrenierre ends up with a team that probably already has a superstar forward or 2! No thanks. It’s the Habs turn. Go to 5 games and the Habs young players still get a great experience.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
This is Price's last shot at it. He's fresh, healthy, not old just yet, and there are no crowds to throw him off his game/mess with his focus, which has always been his flaw - the mental side of the game, especially in the playoffs. It's now or never for him.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site

Both Price and Subban benefited immensely from our run to the ECF, and there's lots of reason to think that a similar run would really help the development of Suzuki and Kotkaniemi. If those two can reach their potential thats a couple big pieces of a contender. But on the flip side there's that #1 pick to consider.

There's simply no way of knowing which is actually going to be better for us long term.
The run you mentioned lasted beyond the first round AND that team was prepared for the playoffs. This team Was NOT prepared to be in the playoffs and would easily be swept in the 2nd round.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
since when is a goalies last shot At age 32?
Context. Look at the state of the team. Mix of young guys with aging vets at important positions. And this year is different to say the least. Price will never be this fresh for the playoffs again.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

If I thought they could win even one 7 game series it might influence my thought process. But nothing is sure for sure. :nod:

Reactions: Runner77

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
It could be a post season for the records books. Think about it. Against all odds, team 24 storms back to win the cup!

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I'm sure Hasek was quite a few years older when he won the Cup with the Wings. Ha! Just checked, he was 42.
Price is no Hasek, and this team isn't anywhere close in quality to that Wings team. Granted, I could see Price possibly winning if he was traded to a stacked team. I should have probably said it's his last shot at it with MTL.

Reactions: Paddyjack

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Context. Look at the state of the team. Mix of young guys with aging vets at important positions. And this year is different to say the least. Price will never be this fresh for the playoffs again.
And this particular team is capable of winning the cup? Why even state that this is his last shot, when the team around him can’t possibly win? It’s pointless. Besides, I don’t believe it’s his last shot with the Habs. They are clearly going to improve based on their prospects and young team layers. Look how quickly the Leafs turned around and are now competitive.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
And this particular team is capable of winning the cup? Why even state that this is his last shot, when the team around him can’t possibly win? It’s pointless. Besides, I don’t believe it’s his last shot with the Habs. They are clearly going to improve based on their prospects and young team layers. Look how quickly the Leafs turned around and are now competitive.
Did I say this team is capable of winning the Cup? And how old will he be by the time the Habs turn it around? This franchise has been "turning it around" for 25+ years.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
The run you mentioned lasted beyond the first round AND that team was prepared for the playoffs. This team Was NOT prepared to be in the playoffs and would easily be swept in the 2nd round.

If I thought they could win even one 7 game series it might influence my thought process. But nothing is sure for sure. :nod:

All fair points, and if it's beat the Pens and then lose then I'd say the pick even if it's not Laf would be better. But at this point we don't know how far the team would go, just like in 2010 nobody expected us to be able to win a playoff round that year either. We were the 8th seed who only made it because the East was particularly terrible that year and the points threshold to make the playoffs that year was unusually low.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad