Do the Flyers Make the Playoffs Next Year?

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016
Minnesota, Columbus, Calgary, Ottawa, Toronto, and Montreal have greatly improved from last season to this season. Very dramatic and largely unexpected changes, no?

Huh? Those teams added players thru trades and a number one draft pick overall who is a stud.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
No. PIT will be probably even better, WSH will be great again, Columbus as well. No chance against these 3. Rangers gonna land a dman, they can regress a bit but still should be able to make a WC spot. There is very little room for the Flyers to make playoffs from this division.

Sorry guys, thought that this is a maiboards thread. That said, Flyers are an potentially upcoming team. They need to solve goaltending and coaching. Then they can be serious threat. There is definitely potential.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
In 2010, they were barely above .500 under Lavi and had lost 10 of 15 heading into the playoffs. I know they made a run, but that season gets the rose-colored treatment.

The following year was the sustained excellence before the wheels fell off.

I admit that I didn't recall the Stretch Record... I remember the final SO Win that was needed, and of course the strong PostSeason Series up until the SCFs... But my point about Pronger is that when they finally got rolling, it was under his Leadership... and when they didn't have anything as far as competing goes, any longer was when Pronger went out for good.

Pronger had a long record of Leadership success... But the main point I was trying to make was that IMO the Flyers need a strong Leader -- taking nothing away from Giroux -- they need a proven strong force... It is something I believe that all good Teams have; Teams that have long periods of competing for the Cup have good Leadership... There was Clarke, Poulin and to a lesser degree Primeau in Flyers' History... along with the brief period where Pronger was a Flyer.

Again, JMO.

Last edited:

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Waaaaaaaaay too many variables to even have an educated guess yet. Expansion draft and actual draft still have to take place. Between the picks from those two as well as the trades that happen during those two, the league is going to look a lot different than it does currently. Then we have to see if Lindblom, Sanheim, or anybody unexpected makes the team. Those former two alone would be huge boosts if they were ready. Still have no idea what our goaltending is going to look like. Will Mason be re-signed? Will Neuvirth or Mason or Stolarz be picked in the ED? Will they finally let Stolarz get a role? Then, lastly, will Hakstol get fired and, if he does, when? Furthermore, do the assistants get fired and when? Who replaces any of the coaches if they get fired?

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Surprised so many nos. We instantly get better by cutting some Dmen and forwards. Adding at least 1 if not 2 potential high end dmen. The goalies cannot be worse than this year no matter who is here. The forwards get a big boost with likely at least one addition and make the the forthline way better by cutting the unsigned guys. Im not saying we win the division but we will make the playoffs for sure. If we had won just three more games this year we would be in the playoffs. On top of that the metro is insane this year making it a lot harder to make the playoffs. I would imagine at least the wild card spots would be up for grabs next year if not more. The jackets almost set an all time record win streak and the rangers are overachieving. Both are set for a down trend next year. The bolts and pathers will likely be better, but the Bs and sens may not be. A lot of variables but I would bet a lot that we make the playoffs.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Impossible to predict how the turnover of the defense will go. How many are going to make it out of camp and if MacDonald will still play in the top-4.

Provorov could play like an All-Star candidate next season or be the next in line for a sophomore slump.

And yet I voted yes because I want to stay optimistic.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
Obviously very hard to make an educated guess when we have no idea who the goalie is going to be and the fact that our D is likely to include two or three new faces. I voted "no" because of the goaltending issue, the difficulty of our division and the fact that we could have three or four rookies in the lineup, they will make lots of mistakes and therefore we could easily get off to a slow start while they learn the NHL.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Obviously very hard to make an educated guess when we have no idea who the goalie is going to be and the fact that our D is likely to include two or three new faces. I voted "no" because of the goaltending issue, the difficulty of our division and the fact that we could have three or four rookies in the lineup, they will make lots of mistakes and therefore we could easily get off to a slow start while they learn the NHL.

You don't fear slow starts for no reason. This team has turned slow starts into a habit.

(Un)fortunatly that has little to do with playing too many Rookies but more so with bad offseason habits and bad coaching.

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016
Surprised so many nos. We instantly get better by cutting some Dmen and forwards. Adding at least 1 if not 2 potential high end dmen. The goalies cannot be worse than this year no matter who is here. The forwards get a big boost with likely at least one addition and make the the forthline way better by cutting the unsigned guys. Im not saying we win the division but we will make the playoffs for sure. If we had won just three more games this year we would be in the playoffs. On top of that the metro is insane this year making it a lot harder to make the playoffs. I would imagine at least the wild card spots would be up for grabs next year if not more. The jackets almost set an all time record win streak and the rangers are overachieving. Both are set for a down trend next year. The bolts and pathers will likely be better, but the Bs and sens may not be. A lot of variables but I would bet a lot that we make the playoffs.

-Who are the high-end d-man that are being added? The rookies while having great potential are not guaranteed to be NHL ready from day one. Look at Provorov who has a higher ceiling than all the Flyers D prospects and he still had a learning curve. Plus, you are assuming that Hextall is going to make those moves.
-Hextall resigned PEB; how does the 4th line change? VV might be back.
-yes, the goalies can be worse...... that statement is pure nonsense.
- the Rangers have made the playoffs 7 years in a row after this year
-The BlueJackets are a very good, young team who are not going away. And the Flyers had a big winning streak too this year.... how did that work out?

The Flyers are not a legit competitive team in the Eastern Conf. yet. The GM still has a lot of work to do. The play of Couturier since being slotted correctly and basically being called out for lack of production as a top 6 forward w/ the Filpulla trade is encouraging. But we don't even know the roster yet so making any prediction is hard but calling them a lock is far-fetched.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
-Who are the high-end d-man that are being added? The rookies while having great potential are not guaranteed to be NHL ready from day one. Look at Provorov who has a higher ceiling than all the Flyers D prospects and he still had a learning curve. Plus, you are assuming that Hextall is going to make those moves.
-Hextall resigned PEB; how does the 4th line change? VV might be back.
-yes, the goalies can be worse...... that statement is pure nonsense.
- the Rangers have made the playoffs 7 years in a row after this year
-The BlueJackets are a very good, young team who are not going away. And the Flyers had a big winning streak too this year.... how did that work out?

The Flyers are not a legit competitive team in the Eastern Conf. yet. The GM still has a lot of work to do. The play of Couturier since being slotted correctly and basically being called out for lack of production as a top 6 forward w/ the Filpulla trade is encouraging. But we don't even know the roster yet so making any prediction is hard but calling them a lock is far-fetched.

-The high end rookies are Sanheim and Morin. You saw what health and Werenski did for the Jackets. No reason to see that here. Sanheim appears to be in the same mold as Werenski and Morin is EXACTLY what this team needs. We are not resigning dmen that we tried but could not even trade at the deadline. There will be changes. Health wise Ghost and G are both coming off big surgeries with basically the same time to being healthy - right around now.

-PEB is not horrible. Vdv is. You cant just say we may resign VDV. We are not likely to. Players on our second and third line all year this year will be on the fourth next year.

-Mason is 38th and Nuewvy 46th in SV%. Mason had a little uptick recently, but was horrible with nuevy for most of the year. The goals that they have let up are back breaking and not typical for either. Goaltending was looked at as a strength coming in. It will not be any worse next year. If the team has a combined SV% of .900 it will still be better than this year. Hardly ridiculous to say its gets worse from here.

-Rangers are overachieving. Scoring far more goals than they should. Hank is playing poorly and that will catch up with them next year when they are not scoring as much. They also do not have a great prospect pool.

- My point in citing the jackets win streak is that the race for the playoffs is tighter due to the Metro being so far ahead of what they should be doing as a group. IT was record level mid way season before we started playing each other more. There is one spot this year. That will at least double next year. Thats big.

Couts is playing great. In a better role or whatever the case may be. He also may be healthy now for all we know. Filp helps this teams lineup for sure. Add Lindblom and may be another forward next year. We will have 3 maybe 4 very good to good lines. A young but good d. And better goal tending. That should be able to get us the 3 extra wins we would need to make the playoffs next year.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Couturier has told the media that he is fully healthy now after not being 100% in January and February following the knee injury.

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
his play has reflected that so it isn't too surprising. now the offensive cold streak during that time makes a bit more sense considering our 2 best centers in coots and g were playing hurt. coaching did not help either though. both of their play has drastically improved this month so good to see they are finally healthy.

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
I voted no, for the fact we have no clue who is even gonna be on the team

Actually we do.

I think the top 9 stays the same with the exception of Lindblom. The 4th line will depend on the expansion draft and other factors.

Sanheim and Morin will be added to the D to replace DZ and Manning.

Provorov - Gudas
Ghost - Morin
MacDonald - Sanheim
Manning

Not much is meaningfully open in the air other than goaltending. Will Mason or another goalie be brought in?

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
Your assuming that sanhiem and morin will join the team as well as lindblom,we hope they are on but we dont know and with this coach who knows if theyll be used properly with this coach of ours

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Your assuming that sanhiem and morin will join the team as well as lindblom,we hope they are on but we dont know and with this coach who knows if theyll be used properly with this coach of ours

Well there isn't a lot standing in their way next season, and the Phantoms will be adding Myers and possibly Friedman so they need to promote.

-Provorov
-Ghost
-Gudas
-MacDonald
-Manning

That's the depth chart heading into next season.

Schultz and Del Zotto won't be here.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Well there isn't a lot standing in their way next season, and the Phantoms will be adding Myers and possibly Friedman so they need to promote.

-Provorov
-Ghost
-Gudas
-MacDonald
-Manning

That's the depth chart heading into next season.

Schultz and Del Zotto won't be here.

Playing the Devil's advocate on this:

There are X-Factors that may come into play... by no means saying that any of these will happen... nor that I personally want them to... merely acknowledging their possibility.

Manning is signed to a Contract that is easily demote-able in that the Dead cap would be minimal... If he is not selected in the Expansion Draft, he is a swing player who can be waived, without too much concern of losing, to make room for another D-man either brought up or in during the Season or at the end of Camp. This gives Hexy and Hak options.

Streit has been reported to be open to returning at a lower yet fair Cap hit to help in the transition to the new wave of Defencemen... and he likes the Organization and would like to retire here if possible... he is aware that the Fat Contract Days have passed.

Del Zotto was probably shopped at the TDL without enough return offers to make it worthwhile to move from the Roster that was still in the mix, at that time... I would expect that he would at best get a one year Prove-Contract much like Gagner got in Columbus. It is not out of the question that Hexy could re-sign him on the cheap for a short contract... and possibly to one that would also allow a demotion... and he would certainly be a 7th/8th D-Man option... If signed before the Expansion Draft there is also the remote possibility of ED selection.

There is also the chance of a on the cheap(ish) FA signing that would fit into Hexy's plans... or a trade that could free up a Player that we want moved for Cap reasons... or for a veteran D-man that Hexy covets, or merely likes enough to take on for a short period.

And let us keep in mind that a surprise selection of AMac or Manning can change the landscape thinking also.

The point is that Hexy doesn't HAVE to worry about promoting a young D Prospect that he doesn't feel is quite ready yet... or has a bad Camp and plays himself out of a job -- I believe that was the case with Ghost a couple Camps back -- Hexy has options both for a single Season and for a partial Season, where he can demote a Manning or a MDZ.

It may be that one Prospect makes the cut... or two do... but, as Hextall has repeated often, he will not promote a Prospect just to do so... the Player will 'tell' him when the time is right through his play... we cannot assume anything... especially with a very patient GM and a questionable Roster... in an Expansion year.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Playing the Devil's advocate on this:

There are X-Factors that may come into play... by no means saying that any of these will happen... nor that I personally want them to... merely acknowledging their possibility.

Manning is signed to a Contract that is easily demote-able in that the Dead cap would be minimal... If he is not selected in the Expansion Draft, he is a swing player who can be waived, without too much concern of losing, to make room for another D-man either brought up or in during the Season or at the end of Camp. This gives Hexy and Hak options.

Streit has been reported to be open to returning at a lower yet fair Cap hit to help in the transition to the new wave of Defencemen... and he likes the Organization and would like to retire here if possible... he is aware that the Fat Contract Days have passed.

Del Zotto was probably shopped at the TDL without enough return offers to make it worthwhile to move from the Roster that was still in the mix, at that time... I would expect that he would at best get a one year Prove-Contract much like Gagner got in Columbus. It is not out of the question that Hexy could re-sign him on the cheap for a short contract... and possibly to one that would also allow a demotion... and he would certainly be a 7th/8th D-Man option... If signed before the Expansion Draft there is also the remote possibility of ED selection.

There is also the chance of a on the cheap(ish) FA signing that would fit into Hexy's plans... or a trade that could free up a Player that we want moved for Cap reasons... or for a veteran D-man that Hexy covets, or merely likes enough to take on for a short period.

And let us keep in mind that a surprise selection of AMac or Manning can change the landscape thinking also.

The point is that Hexy doesn't HAVE to worry about promoting a young D Prospect that he doesn't feel is quite ready yet... or has a bad Camp and plays himself out of a job -- I believe that was the case with Ghost a couple Camps back -- Hexy has options both for a single Season and for a partial Season, where he can demote a Manning or a MDZ.

It may be that one Prospect makes the cut... or two do... but, as Hextall has repeated often, he will not promote a Prospect just to do so... the Player will 'tell' him when the time is right through his play... we cannot assume anything... especially with a very patient GM and a questionable Roster... in an Expansion year.

If either of those things happen, particularly the first one, I am dusting off the pitchfork and heading for the Wells.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hextall has pretty much hinted that he plans to start a few of the young defensemen next year, one reason he's not promoting them is he wants them playing 20 minutes a night in the AHL playoffs instead of playing out the string in Philly. So I think Morin - Sanheim as a pair is a lock, Hagg is a high probability, and Myers has a shot. TC will decide this things, but I don't expect Schultz back, or Streit to return. MDZ is a long-shot b/c I doubt they'll pay real money.

At forward, Lindblom is a lock, after that depends on the ED.

If VdV is resigned, it'll be a Manning type deal where he can be sent to the AHL if he's beat out in camp (i.e. no cap hit, just money). There are jobs for kids to take, but Laughton, Leier, AK, etc. have to take them, with Hextall, you have to earn your slot.

I don't know what will happen with Weal, they seem to like him, but is he eligible for the ED if resigned?

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
If either of those things happen, particularly the first one, I am dusting off the pitchfork and heading for the Wells.

:laugh: I hear you... just noting some lower chance options that could pause the full steam ahead movement that may or may not be in Hexy's patient plans.

I personally wouldn't mind Streit... IF he will take enough of a cut to stay... and Hexy/Hak take the slow bring up approach where the D-Men are promotions are staggered... and they want a Player Coach type situation with his mentoring them.

MDZ?... I have a funny feeling with him. He looks very good at times, and then not so much other times... and I don't think he can get the same range Contract again, even on the open market... I think he is once again a Project for whoever wants to take it on... But, yeah, I suppose he may have played his way out of town... with what's coming in the pipeline and the Cap and all.

Hextall has pretty much hinted that he plans to start a few of the young defensemen next year, one reason he's not promoting them is he wants them playing 20 minutes a night in the AHL playoffs instead of playing out the string in Philly. So I think Morin - Sanheim as a pair is a lock, Hagg is a high probability, and Myers has a shot. TC will decide this things, but I don't expect Schultz back, or Streit to return. MDZ is a long-shot b/c I doubt they'll pay real money.

Are you looking at that all in the coming Season? That is a lot of Rookies to mix with two other very young D-Men... We're looking at Gudas and AMac as the elder statesmen on the backLine there.

MDZ couldn't expect real money from anybody, at this point, IMO.

At forward, Lindblom is a lock, after that depends on the ED.

If VdV is resigned, it'll be a Manning type deal where he can be sent to the AHL if he's beat out in camp (i.e. no cap hit, just money). There are jobs for kids to take, but Laughton, Leier, AK, etc. have to take them, with Hextall, you have to earn your slot.

I don't know what will happen with Weal, they seem to like him, but is he eligible for the ED if resigned?

IIRC Laughten and Leier are no longer Waiver Exempt... Cook or get off the stove with them... Do they get through waivers? That may smell trouble for VV.

Weal would be a good Player to hang out there on the Expansion Draft... if he gets through it, he is a nice Player, and not a tragic loss if he is ever lost on Waivers, if he gets in a situation where they'd want to send him down again... if he gets selected by LV, he saves someone else for us... and opens up a spot for a kid, or for VV.

... I just think that if they go with all those kids, we are looking at a full blown Rebuild... we will not have very many seasoned Veterans. You need some vets... Old Men Giroux/Jake/Simmer/Schenn? While it's great having so many potentially talented Prospects coming in, I personally would like the ability to ease them in over time.

This is why I can't see voting Yes for the POs next Season... It may be a while before we are consistent competitors again... and if the Prospects don't pan out, we're up the creek without a paddle for a long time.

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
:laugh: I hear you... just noting some lower chance options that could pause the full steam ahead movement that may or may not be in Hexy's patient plans.

I personally wouldn't mind Streit... IF he will take enough of a cut to stay... and Hexy/Hak take the slow bring up approach where the D-Men are promotions are staggered... and they want a Player Coach type situation with his mentoring them.

MDZ?... I have a funny feeling with him. He looks very good at times, and then not so much other times... and I don't think he can get the same range Contract again, even on the open market... I think he is once again a Project for whoever wants to take it on... But, yeah, I suppose he may have played his way out of town... with what's coming in the pipeline and the Cap and all.

Are you looking at that all in the coming Season? That is a lot of Rookies to mix with two other very young D-Men... We're looking at Gudas and AMac as the elder statesmen on the backLine there.

MDZ couldn't expect real money from anybody, at this point, IMO.

IIRC Laughten and Leier are no longer Waiver Exempt... Cook or get off the stove with them... Do they get through waivers? That may smell trouble for VV.

Weal would be a good Player to hang out there on the Expansion Draft... if he gets through it, he is a nice Player, and not a tragic loss if he is ever lost on Waivers, if he gets in a situation where they'd want to send him down again... if he gets selected by LV, he saves someone else for us... and opens up a spot for a kid, or for VV.

... I just think that if they go with all those kids, we are looking at a full blown Rebuild... we will not have very many seasoned Veterans. You need some vets... Old Men Giroux/Jake/Simmer/Schenn? While it's great having so many potentially talented Prospects coming in, I personally would like the ability to ease them in over time.

This is why I can't see voting Yes for the POs next Season... It may be a while before we are consistent competitors again... and if the Prospects don't pan out, we're up the creek without a paddle for a long time.

Streit is absolutely horrific at this point in his career. I'm not sure i'd welcome him to my mens league team. The guy simply can't defend anymore. I wouldn't want him as an advisor either because he's never actually been a great defensemen. His offense made up for it though. I would rather bring in Timonen in the role Gord Murphy currently occupies; assistant coach/defensemen coach.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
I don't want Streit anywhere near the team next season. Him occupying a roster spot only holds up the transition.

We have enough established defenseman who can take someone under their wing.
Gudas can be a calming presence on any pairing. Provorov plays like a Veteran and will only get better.
Ghost already has chemistry with Morin.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
I agree they are definitely in with Hakstoll gone. But I still like their chances despite Hakstoll.

I think Columbus shows what a difference the addition of good dmen can do.

except Columbus rolls 3 lines that can score. they have awesome scoring depth. we do not. we barely have one scoring line. until this team's 5v5 problems are fixed, they aren't going anywhere. it is one of the worst ES teams i've ever seen. Couturier is a bad 2nd line center, Voracek has been invisible ever since he was moved there. we desperately need some secondary scoring.

defense looks promising, but it looks like it'll be another year with little offense and subpar goaltending.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
except Columbus rolls 3 lines that can score. they have awesome scoring depth. we do not. we barely have one scoring line. until this team's 5v5 problems are fixed, they aren't going anywhere. it is one of the worst ES teams i've ever seen. Couturier is a bad 2nd line center, Voracek has been invisible ever since he was moved there. we desperately need some secondary scoring.

defense looks promising, but it looks like it'll be another year with little offense and subpar goaltending.

Part of why we suck at ES is the coach too...so i'm not sure if improving the roster will fix that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad