Do the Flyers make the Playoffs in 2017-18?

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
How about the 2011-2012 Flyers?

This may jog your memory..

http://www.seaforthhuronexpositor.com/2012/04/12/flyers-rookies-making-major-impact-2

Here is an exerpt..

If the rookies are better than their replacements by a fair margin, the team will play better. That's the situation we are in.

My only concerns heading into the season are Goaltending and Hakstol.

I think this is what it comes down to at the end of the season.

In 2011-12 it was Laviolette. The guy had a system and it worked great in the beginning.

I don't trust in Hakstol . I hope Hextall made the right decision ... At least there is Knoblauch I guess.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
Filppula was really brought in to be 3C (Schenn has been a winger) as a one year placeholder until Vorobyov or Rubtsov were ready. Fortunately we go to select Patrick, so it's moot. Flip can be 3LW (or 4C depending on what else shakes down). Lehtera can be 4C too, but that means a big fight for wing spots among Laughton, Read, Raffl Weise and Vecchione.

Weal-Giroux-Voracek
Lindblom-Couturier-Konecny
Filppula-Patrick-Simmonds
Raffl/Lehtera-Laughton-Vecchione/Read/Weise

Ideally, Hexy will send at least on winger elsewhere and Vecchione will start in the AHL.

I think we just said the same thing.

It says Flip v Schenn, and Lehtera v Bellemare. I hadn't started drinking yet. 😀

What is this sorcery?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

In 2011-12 it was Laviolette. The guy had a system and it worked great in the beginning.

I don't trust in Hakstol . I hope Hextall made the right decision ... At least there is Knoblauch I guess.

I dont either. Its a real concern. His system sucks, his decision making sucks and his personality sucks.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Lavy crushed Lamaire in 2010 which was way harder than daboer. 2012 forwards didn't bachcheck worth a **** unlike 2010 which had two way great forwards and awesome two way role players.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006

Hakstol is the biggest factor on how they do this season. He has to develop rookies, help vets have bounce back years, and manage a G tandem.

This is going to be one of those crazy years where this team could be a 50 win or 50 loss team. A lot of that is in Haks hands bc he has a lot of talent in training camp.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I dont either. Its a real concern. His system sucks, his decision making sucks and his personality sucks.

Oh, yeah, I forgot about his patented get-as-many-low-percentage-point-shots-as-possible system. Yeah, I reeeeeeally hope I don't see that again.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Oh, yeah, I forgot about his patented get-as-many-low-percentage-point-shots-as-possible system. Yeah, I reeeeeeally hope I don't see that again.

Cross red line, get puck deep, winger retrieves puck and passes to the point man, point man fires shot into a sea of bodies, center stands around in the high slot with his dick in his hands.

:shakehead

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I don't see it happening. Too many inexperienced players will make the team, the goalies are sketchy and I do not trust Hakstol.

Toronto entered last season with the same concerns about inexperience and goaltending.

madlee

Mar 7, 2015
Tough division, but they had great highs and great lows, mostly caused by under performing supporting cast. Influx of new blood and further solidification of the blue line will also help tremendously. Arguably an upgrade in goal? (I liked Mason, but I think he was inconsistent).

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Cross red line, get puck deep, winger retrieves puck and passes to the point man, point man fires shot into a sea of bodies, center stands around in the high slot with his dick in his hands.

:shakehead

Was actually an improvement over "center isn't even in slot but is chasing down missed shots and dumps behind the net to give to the wingers to start over again"

That's what it was from like December thru Feb, with the exception of PEB practically playing at the blue line like a Rover presumably for better D coverage. That was brutal.

Accelleratii

Jul 25, 2010
Pennsylvania
Toronto entered last season with the same concerns about inexperience and goaltending.

You're wrong. Andersen is a high end goalie and Toronto knew it, which is why they gave up some quality picks to get him. And they have cup winning Mike Babcock behind the helm. It's practically apples and oranges. The only similarity is the amount of rookies on the roster (potentially)

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
You're wrong. Andersen is a high end goalie and Toronto knew it, which is why they gave up some quality picks to get him. And they have cup winning Mike Babcock behind the helm. It's practically apples and oranges. The only similarity is the amount of rookies on the roster (potentially)

There were questions about Andersen and if he was capable of being a full time #1 going into last season right up until he answered them.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
"cup winning mike Babcock"

:laugh:

Yet another example of how overrated coaching is. As if having a coach that's won a cup is some game changer. Bylsma won a cup, should we get cup winning disco dan?

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
"cup winning mike Babcock"

:laugh:

Yet another example of how overrated coaching is. As if having a coach that's won a cup is some game changer. Bylsma won a cup, should we get cup winning disco dan?

I think Babcock runs good systems but has been blessed by high-end talent through most of his career. Goodness, how hard is it to flip between the Datsyuk and Zetterburg lines in close games? "Pavel, I need you to go out now, stickhandle through four opponents and put a backhander top-shelf."

He does also have the benefit of the aura around him, and uses it 100% on referees. It's obvious he knows how to maximize his influence on them.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
I think Babcock runs good systems but has been blessed by high-end talent through most of his career. Goodness, how hard is it to flip between the Datsyuk and Zetterburg lines in close games? "Pavel, I need you to go out now, stickhandle through four opponents and put a backhander top-shelf."

He does also have the benefit of the aura around him, and uses it 100% on referees. It's obvious he knows how to maximize his influence on them.

He never went past the second round once Lidstrom retired. Having the greatest defenseman of his generation can make any coach look smart.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
He never went past the second round once Lidstrom retired. Having the greatest defenseman of his generation can make any coach look smart.

Indeed, Lidstrom was another huge element of Babcock's career success. Just look at the team he took over in 2005: Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Lidstrom, Shanahan, Yzerman, Holmstrom, Lang, Schneider, etc. Then they picked up Hasek. I could have coached that team to the Cup finals.

Accelleratii

Jul 25, 2010
Pennsylvania
Wow. A lot of you folks are loons. You're seriously going to discount Babcock and his coaching?? Outside of Lidstrom, Dastyuk and Zetterberg, he kept that team competitive dressing about average players through the lineup and in the crease. Tell me all those Detroit teams continue to make the playoffs in what was the ultra competitive West without him? You say he never made it past the second round post-Lidstrom, but those teams weren't even that good to begin with....

He then goes to Toronto and takes them to the playoffs in year two yet you'll mostly attribute that to the skill level of the team I suppose? A team with the most rookies ever in modern NHL history? I think coaching can hasten the learning curve a little bit....

Babock is a real good coach. When comparing him to Hakstol he's a great coach. The Flyers were held back last year by some of his insane, erroneous decisions and you could boil it down to this - the Flyers chances to make the playoffs would be undeniably better if Babcock was their coach. Diminish him all you want but you can't deny that. And when I say "cup-winning Babcock" you all laugh and chuckle like it ain't no thing but
7 different teams have won the cup since 2005 lockout including 8 different coaches. Babcock is one of them. So laugh it up, pretend coaching isn't a game changer when it counts most.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad