Utah team nickname/colors/logo (and related marketing)

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
I like Yeti or Blizzard

W-230123_Straw_Mug_42oz_site_studio_drinkware_Rambler_42oz_Straw_Mug_Power_Pink_Front_0459_Primary_A_2400x2400.png

1670569161.png

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
The Mountain peak style stripes at the bottom has to happen.

Also calling a team the Trout and having salmon color on half the jersey made me giggle.

Too bad they're going Utah, because "Salt Lake Piranhas" could have worked.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
So this is just me - I really like the idea of using some really bright, vibrant and unusual colours - just because they'd stand out so much in the sports world.

That being said sports teams tend to be very conservative in their looks, so I tend to doubt that's what Utah will go with.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
I'm a little late to this. Haven't been paying a lot of attention to even know that this relocation was even made. Anyway, I've now watched a few videos regarding names that are being considered, and here's my take away from that, plus a couple of my own ideas. Of the names I've heard being considered, there are four that I think may have potential:
1. Mammoths (Yes, there were mammoths in Utah.)
2. Yeti (without the s)
3. Blizzard (Another zz to match the Jazz)
4. Ice (No, no, no), but what about Icemen

5. Raptors (Saw one video where this was suggested. And why not? there are two professional teams with Rangers, Jets, Kings, Panthers, Giants, Cardinals, and Lions.)
6. Wolf Pack (Again, there are teams with two word names, the most recent being Golden Knights. And there are wolves in Utah.)
7. Coyotes (And again, why not? Other teams have been relocated and kept the name; the Jazz again being one example of that. And there are coyotes in Utah.)
8. Templars (Just thought I'd throw that one in.)

Last edited:

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA

Sharks broadcaster comments on a number of concept logos and jerseys.

(And it's aqua, not teal)

Two thoughts… this guy is a hockey announcer? And he didn’t know the Utah Grizzlies have been a thing for 30 years?

Two, he does prove a point about that the logo does for a team. On their own, Venom, Trout, and other rumored team names are awful. But these logos and sweaters are amazing.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Two thoughts… this guy is a hockey announcer? And he didn’t know the Utah Grizzlies have been a thing for 30 years?
He's a studio guy who only really follows NHL and the Sharks AHL team.

Perhaps he wasn't paying attention during SLC Olympics when games were played at that facility.

Coyotes name stays in Arizona.

Reactions: Spydey629

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG

Zero percent chance.

The Knights Templar were a Catholic order of Knights tied to the Crusades. They were eventually ordered disbanded (checks google) by Pope Clement V in 1312. In the centuries since there have been many myths (and even conspiracy theories) involving the Knights Templar.

As you are no doubt aware, Utah is the only majority Mormon state in the US, with (again checks google) 55% of the population being Mormon. So Templars is doubly out. First because it is associated with the Catholic church, not the Mormon church. But second - because 45% of Utah residents are NOT Mormon, it seems very clear that Syan Smith will stay away from any kind of religious symbolism entirely in order to try and appeal to all residents.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
My favorite ideas so far (mentioned from other posters, none mine) have been the Pioneers, Mountaineers, and Minors

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I think that typo kind of points to a reason why a pro team would probably be loathe to call themselves the Miners, not gonna lie.

Seems like Yetis are the new Kraken getting the local support.

They could go with Gold Miners, and cash in on all the 90s-era nostalgia for the CFL's Sacramento Gold Miners!

Yetis to me feels like a name kids would pick for their U11 soccer team, but I'm a purely outside observer on this.

Reactions: Puckrobber

CaptainKirk

Sep 27, 2004
Moncton
Just doing random logo google searches, thought something like this would look kinda neat. A blend of Colorado and Minnesota.

mountain-mammoth.jpg

KevFu

May 22, 2009
I'm a little late to this. Haven't been paying a lot of attention to even know that this relocation was even made. Anyway, I've now watched a few videos regarding names that are being considered, and here's my take away from that, plus a couple of my own ideas. Of the names I've heard being considered, there are four that I think may have potential:
1. Mammoths (Yes, there were mammoths in Utah.)
2. Yeti (without the s)
3. Blizzard (Another zz to match the Jazz)
4. Ice (No, no, no), but what about Icemen

5. Raptors (Saw one video where this was suggested. And why not? there are two professional teams with Rangers, Jets, Kings, Panthers, Giants, Cardinals, and Lions.)
6. Wolf Pack (Again, there are teams with two word names, the most recent being Golden Knights. And there are wolves in Utah.)
7. Coyotes (And again, why not? Other teams have been relocated and kept the name; the Jazz again being one example of that. And there are coyotes in Utah.)

Oh damn! Welcome back to BOH!

Reactions: MoreOrr

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Two thoughts… this guy is a hockey announcer? And he didn’t know the Utah Grizzlies have been a thing for 30 years

He's a studio guy who only really follows NHL and the Sharks AHL team.

That's also the network that has the Oakland A's. He's spent the majority of the last 30 years covering their ballpark & relocation saga. That's kinda why he's actually talking about the Coyotes moving to Utah in the first place: Because of the parallels with the Coyotes arena saga and relocation with the A's,

"The Predators really took advantage of the Miners tonight."

Doesn't sound great verbally.

I saw a TikTok of a young woman reading a list of sponsors that donated to build the children's park she was standing in, and she was incredulous that one of them was a group called the "Nashville Predators." And the person filming her was like "You know we have a hockey team, what are they called?" "OH!"

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I saw a TikTok of a young woman reading a list of sponsors that donated to build the children's park she was standing in, and she was incredulous that one of them was a group called the "Nashville Predators." And the person filming her was like "You know we have a hockey team, what are they called?" "OH!"

This is kind of an aside but we've raised the issue of child sex abuse to such a fear in society these days. The Predators name was selected in 1997 and I doubt anyone ever made that kind of connection back then.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
Zero percent chance.

The Knights Templar were a Catholic order of Knights tied to the Crusades. They were eventually ordered disbanded (checks google) by Pope Clement V in 1312. In the centuries since there have been many myths (and even conspiracy theories) involving the Knights Templar.

As you are no doubt aware, Utah is the only majority Mormon state in the US, with (again checks google) 55% of the population being Mormon. So Templars is doubly out. First because it is associated with the Catholic church, not the Mormon church. But second - because 45% of Utah residents are NOT Mormon, it seems very clear that Syan Smith will stay away from any kind of religious symbolism entirely in order to try and appeal to all residents.
Yes, I kind of figured something as such. It was the Mormon "Temple" that gave me the idea, but it wasn't really serious.

I did see two other options mentioned in another video, though:
Cougars or Stingers...

Revising my list, this time ordering them best first:
1. Wolf Pack
2. Mammoths
3. Cougars
4. Stingers
5. Yeti
6. Blizzard
7. Icemen
8. Raptors
Oh damn! Welcome back to BOH!
And damn, that reaction certainly makes a guy feel good. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad