Do the Flyers make the Playoffs in 2017-18?

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Honestly, I just want to see a better brand of hockey...they were boring as crap beyond watching Provorov the cyborg. I think they will be a cusp playoff team again. Too many "what ifs" to say otherwise. I just want to see the youth infusion and how they progress under Hakstol. If the opposite is happening and they are still boring, inconsistent and not competitive against playoff caliber teams...then he should be summarily fired at some point in the season or after. I say after because being a lottery team in the upcoming draft will help in the long term...

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Honestly, I just want to see a better brand of hockey...they were boring as crap beyond watching Provorov the cyborg. I think they will be a cusp playoff team again. Too many "what ifs" to say otherwise. I just want to see the youth infusion and how they progress under Hakstol. If the opposite is happening and they are still boring, inconsistent and not competitive against playoff caliber teams...then he should be summarily fired at some point in the season or after.

That's the thing that gets lost a little (and just a little) when we start diving into the numbers too far - the team should be damned fun for us to watch because we are finally going to get an extended look at three or four of these guys we have been waiting for. Two seasons ago I was finally able to start watching us again regularly after a little break when I moved here and didn't know about Gamecenter, and I have seen every game since. I vividly remember that first game and seeing Schultz - he stood out for me for all the wrong reasons and it was so demoralizing to think we'd have at least that season and one more before things significantly changed. But that time has finally arrived and we are going to have a lot to sink our teeth into.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
That's the thing that gets lost a little (and just a little) when we start diving into the numbers too far - the team should be damned fun for us to watch because we are finally going to get an extended look at three or four of these guys we have been waiting for. Two seasons ago I was finally able to start watching us again regularly after a little break when I moved here and didn't know about Gamecenter, and I have seen every game since. I vividly remember that first game and seeing Schultz - he stood out for me for all the wrong reasons and it was so demoralizing to think we'd have at least that season and one more before things significantly changed. But that time has finally arrived and we are going to have a lot to sink our teeth into.

I want to see progress with our youth...we don't necessarily have to win every game(although it would be nice) since we are still building up to hopefully become a perennial cup contender ....but we should see a culture of competiveness in our players take shape. The product should be fun to watch at the least. Fans are smart enough to know when a team is dogging it or regressing.....any sustained evidence of this occurring in the upcoming season will be totally uncalled for and there will have to be accountability...

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I want to see progress with our youth...we don't necessarily have to win every game(although it would be nice) since we are still building up to hopefully become a perennial cup contender ....but we should see a culture of competiveness in our players take shape. The product should be fun to watch at the least. Fans are smart enough to know when a team is dogging it or regressing.....any sustained evidence of this occurring in the upcoming season will be totally uncalled for and there will have to be accountability...

Agreed, and I feel a whole lot better about that side of things since Hexy hired Knoblauch to join the staff, because it is some tangible evidence that he isn't stuck in an old boys mindset when it comes to coaches. The Hakstol hire proved that too, for sure, but having Gordon and Cote clinging on, and not launching Lappy to the Moon with Vandevelde, muddled the picture.

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
I went 21-40, they've improved on paper and the best you can do is hope that the increased forward depth will lead to less goal droughts. Ultimately though, they have huge question marks in goal and on defense.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
PP1 should be worse and PP2 is hopefully a lot better. Hakstol doesn't have PEB and VdV to overplay, but he likely plays Manning and AMac more than we would like.

Lehtera is an uncertainty. He did play well with Tarasenko two years ago, but Blues fans sure turned on him. He will certainly provide more than the twins though.

Overall, 4th line greatly improved, Patrick, full season of Weal and Filppula. Goaltending cannot possibly be worse than last year even though Mason is probably better than Elliott all else equal.

Sophomore slumps do happen at lot. I can't imagine Provorov having an issue, but it is possible Hakstol continues supposedly "teaching" Konecny.

I am looking forward to watching the rookies play and develop and also not looking forward to raging at Hakstol's decisions with them.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Agreed, and I feel a whole lot better about that side of things since Hexy hired Knoblauch to join the staff, because it is some tangible evidence that he isn't stuck in an old boys mindset when it comes to coaches. The Hakstol hire proved that too, for sure, but having Gordon and Cote clinging on, and not launching Lappy to the Moon with Vandevelde, muddled the picture.

You can't change everything overnight (and when you try, it usually goes south).

I think Hextall wanted to keep coaches who knew the players with a rookie HC out of college. Now that Hakstol has two years under his belt, there's no need to keep organization guys around. If Hextall keeps Gordon in Lehigh, he must like the job he's doing developing players, and it may well be many of Gordon's PT decisions are worked out with Hextall. Players are being developed (Laughton, Hagg, Morin, Sanheim all showed improvement by all accounts, as did Weal) and that's what matters, not Calder cups.

Same with aggressive play, Hakstol tried that with defensemen who simply couldn't pull it off, Ghost was hobbled, Manning lacks offensive skills and sense, Streit couldn't skate, MDZ couldn't think, Schultz couldn't play - the Farmer was the tallest midget. So they went back into a shell and tried to steal gams.

I think we're going to be shocked how different this team looks this season, if you go back to the lineup at the beginning of last season, quite a change!

By TOI:

F: Couts, Simmonds, G, V, Raffl, PEB, Weise, Cousins, Konency, Read, VdV, Gordon
D: Streit, Provorov, Ghost, MacDonald, Manning, Schultz

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
Bottom 6
3C: Filpula > Schenn
4C: Lehtera > Bellemare
4W: Raff/Laughten/Weisse> VdV/Read

Defense
Morin/Hagg (Sanheim)/Manning > MDZ/Streit/Manning/Schultz
Prov/Ghost 17-18 > Prov/Ghost 16-17
Gudas/Mac 16-/17 ~ 17-18

Tell me those differences don't net out 15 more points this season.

I think you have it backwards. Filppula was brought in to replace Schenn as a center, not Bellemare. THough he's likely to play wing now that we have Nolan Patrick. Lehtera will likely replace Bellemare as the 4C.

Center depth
Giroux
Couturier
Patrick
Filppula
Lehtera
Laughton
Vecchione

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
The idea that Lindblom and Patrick are unproven commodities who could easily fail is just not based in reality.

Lindblom was the best forward in a very good pro league last year; thinking that this translates to something less than an average third-line winger in the NHL is silly. Europeans have been coming to the NHL and excelling for decades no. They win Calder Cups as often as NA skaters.

Patrick is a consensus No. 1 pick who fell to No. 2, players of this ilk are impact players right away.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Columbus won't be as good as last year.

Sure they added some skill, but the overachieving last year was crazy.

They had good underlying numbers though so it wasn't a fluke like some teams in recent memory. Won't have that win streak again, likely Bob comes down to earth a bit, but they are good.

Added Panarin, could still trade for someone like Duchene. I'm more worried about them than you. But if Weal can be our Panarin, I like our odds!

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
They added Panarin, but they lost Saad in the process. On the surface it should make them a better team. Panarin's a more offensively gifted forward. But Saad seemed to fit pretty well with the rest of the forward group in Columbus. And we'll see if Panarin can still be a 70-80 points player without Patrick Kane.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
They had good underlying numbers though so it wasn't a fluke like some teams in recent memory. Won't have that win streak again, likely Bob comes down to earth a bit, but they are good.

Added Panarin, could still trade for someone like Duchene. I'm more worried about them than you. But if Weal can be our Panarin, I like our odds!

They had a bunch of guys scoring way higher than their career norms.

From the start of the year until January 1st they were 26-5-4 because..

Atkinson - 37 points in 35 games
Wennberg - 33 points in 35 games
Sad - 32 points in 35 games
Foligno - 32 points in 33 games

None of them have ever been, or will ever be, PPG guys. It was pure luck and everything going their way.

That's why, no matter what the advanced stats say about it, I have no doubt that season was an aberration.

The rest of the year they went 24-19-4.
If they can't even keep it up for half of one single year, how am I supposed to believe they can do the same (or even close) in future years?

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I think you have it backwards. Filppula was brought in to replace Schenn as a center, not Bellemare. THough he's likely to play wing now that we have Nolan Patrick. Lehtera will likely replace Bellemare as the 4C.

Center depth
Giroux
Couturier
Patrick
Filppula
Lehtera
Laughton
Vecchione

Filppula was really brought in to be 3C (Schenn has been a winger) as a one year placeholder until Vorobyov or Rubtsov were ready. Fortunately we go to select Patrick, so it's moot. Flip can be 3LW (or 4C depending on what else shakes down). Lehtera can be 4C too, but that means a big fight for wing spots among Laughton, Read, Raffl Weise and Vecchione.

Weal-Giroux-Voracek
Lindblom-Couturier-Konecny
Filppula-Patrick-Simmonds
Raffl/Lehtera-Laughton-Vecchione/Read/Weise

Ideally, Hexy will send at least on winger elsewhere and Vecchione will start in the AHL.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I got Toronto, Tampa, & Montreal taking the three spots in the Atlantic. Then I got Pittsburgh, Columbus, & Washington taking the three spots in the Metro. The Wildcard's I really have no idea. The two New York's, Carolina, Philadelphia, Boston, & Ottawa should be in the mix.

I got Florida, Detroit, New Jersey, & Buffalo missing the playoffs.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I got Toronto, Tampa, & Montreal taking the three spots in the Atlantic. Then I got Pittsburgh, Columbus, & Washington taking the three spots in the Metro. The Wildcard's I really have no idea. The two New York's, Carolina, Philadelphia, Boston, & Ottawa should be in the mix.

I got Florida, Detroit, New Jersey, & Buffalo missing the playoffs.

I have Ottawa over Montreal.

The Canadiens D is almost as bad as their C depth. Price can only do so much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad