Do the Devils have Martin Brodeur problem? (goalie management)

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
"Why don't these morons just score every shift?"-Wayne as Phoenix head coach

Nemec

Apr 5, 2009
Easy to play 70+ games when your trap team allows 20 shots per game and slower players were using worse sticks.

Move aside, old man.

Easier to score goals like Gretzky when no one played defense and every team was scoring 8 goals a game. What's your point -- penalize Brodeur for his era? Why not penalize Gretzky and dock him hundreds of goals?

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Easier to score goals like Gretzky when no one played defense and every team was scoring 8 goals a game. What's your point -- penalize Brodeur for his era? Why not penalize Gretzky and dock him hundreds of goals?
Gretzky isn't going around saying "I don't know why players these days can't just score 150+ points every season like I did".

Nemec

Apr 5, 2009
Do you know what it's like to play 70-80 NHL games as a goalle every season? It's not like checking in at the office, breaking for lunch, and going home. Anyone who questions the durability of brodeur simply bc he had a good defense is insane.
Gretzky isn't going around saying "I don't know why players these days can't just score 150+ points every season like I did".

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Do you know what it's like to play 70-80 NHL games as a goalle every season? It's not like checking in at the office, breaking for lunch, and going home. Anyone who questions the durability of brodeur simply bc he had a good defense is insane.
Did you just make up an argument to argue against? lol

Nemec

Apr 5, 2009
Did you just make up an argument to argue against? lol
Was just addressing your first statement:

"Easy to play 70+ games when your trap team allows 20 shots per game and slower players were using worse sticks."

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Dangle chimes in.

And not surprisingly Adam Wylde goes with the lazy Andrew Berkshire style take. I don't mind Dangle, but Wylde is usually primed for some off base takes.

Not sure if these are the guys I'd want to validate your opinions either. Especially if they're just doing hot takes of excerpts of the article.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
And not surprisingly Adam Wylde goes with the lazy Andrew Berkshire style take. I don't mind Dangle, but Wylde is usually primed for some off base takes.

Not sure if these are the guys I'd want to validate your opinions either.
I agree with you, not the best of takes by them.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
As usual, neither the old guys nor the young guys can see outside the parameters of their own generation.

There are guys in this league who could play 65 games instead of 45 without suffering meaningful negatives. There are also backups who can give you 40 games without meaningful negatives. Some guys are serious injury risks and others are not. Conventional wisdom is grounded in expert intelligence. So was conventional wisdom 20 years ago. All of these things can be true at once.

The only people who are mistaken are the ones insisting that there’s only one way to approach this game.

Agreed!

During Brodeur's lengthy career in the NHL, the 60+ game goalie workhorse was also not just any Joe Blow, but represented an elite portion of the goalie fraternity who had the ability to shoulder a heavy load and play at a high quality. There were also goalies who couldn't and tandem situations in the league.

I take his comment to mean that there are elite goalies in the game today who could shoulder those heavier workloads. Andrei Vasilevskiy still plays big minutes, high quantity games. Dallas played Jake Oettinger over 60 games last year. Connor Hellebuyck is a complete throw back.

Reactions: tarheelhockey

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Not sure if these are the guys I'd want to validate your opinions either. Especially if they're just doing hot takes of excerpts of the article.

They were so outraged by Brodeur that they forgot to fact check that 7 goalies, Saros, Binnington, Georgiev, Sorokin, Vasilevskiy, Hellebuyck all played 60 plus games in 2022-23.

Reactions: pedis

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
The biggest thing with workload is that goalies are playing far less games than forwards, but it's not reflected in their salaries. Mid level goalies are getting paid $5 mill to play half a season, making double what an equivalent player would make per game.

Before pointing out that goalies play 60 min per game, realize that I'm aware of this.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
When former players, beloved ones at that, come back as management, it kind of tarnishes them for me if they're not successful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad