Do the Devils have Martin Brodeur problem? (goalie management)

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I mean Brodeur played that load and was the GOAT so I think he knows better than hfboards users
Hockey was slow paced back in his playing days and skaters/coaching have adjusted as well. The game is played at a much higher pace.

I guess all teams should do what he says instead too?

Reactions: UnSandvich

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
That's Marty's opinion and the article also has a passage where he understands the value of a shared workload.

But he also gets both sides of it.

“It’s a good reality now — you need to have two goalies,” he conceded. “I think that’s where it gets skewed. Like, it’s hard to find that No. 1 goalie. You get it in Nashville. You get it in Tampa. You get it in Calgary. There’s a couple of places that have them. But there’s not many. A lot of them are tandems.

Marty also notes that the average backup now is much better than the average backup in the 90's which I think is true. Marty's not on the coaching staff so it's not like he was the one telling them to run Nico Daws into the ground earlier this season. That was just extenuating circumstances with Vanecek's injury and Schmid's subpar play in the NHL/AHL.

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
8kpxai.jpg

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I wish he didn’t work in the organization. I also fear he’s the next GM for the team, whether that’s in 2 years from now or 10 years from now. So Fitz better get it together for next year.

I’m not sure I like that quote. I’ve really shredded the goalie coach here (who HE hired and brought in, by the way) and I still think he sucks, but I was just posting last night that the goalie decisions with this team seem like they’ve been off for quite some time and I’ve wondered if they’re coming from above. It’s weird Kahkonen didn’t get to start after a shutout. This team has had a problem with running goalies into the ground for several years now. Even if the goalie sucks.

I’m not sure if that quote particularly is indicative of it or not though.

Dec 15, 2002
I mean Brodeur played that load and was the GOAT so I think he knows better than hfboards users
This was the same mentality used to explain why Wayne Gretzky would make a great head coach. It's the same mentality used to justify why great players get promoted to positions they have no business being in under any proper circumstance.

It's also how some companies decide on who gets into management, and then struggle because they don't want to admit they've made a mistake.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
They held the Leafs to like 6 shots in a playoff elimination game back in 2002 or 2003.

It was in 2000. I had gone over some of the Leafs bad injury luck in that series on a different thread. Due to Bryan Berard's unfortunate eye injury and Alexander Karpovtsev having an irregular heart beat, this was the Leafs D that game:

Kaberle (22:35) - Yushkevich (25:48)
Markov (21:31) - Andrusak (17:12)
Cross (17:19) - Diduck (14:00)

Andrusak never played in the NHL after that game and Diduck wasn't far behind. If your #7 and #8 D are playing, you might have a harder time breaking the puck out.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
I suppose it's futile, but I wish Brodeur would get some credit for the shot prevention with his puckhandling. I guess the trapezoid will have to do.
Hey, skating to the corner and launching a puck out of the zone also lessens the workload.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
It was in 2000. I had gone over some of the Leafs bad injury luck in that series on a different thread. Due to Bryan Berard's unfortunate eye injury and Alexander Karpovtsev having an irregular heart beat, this was the Leafs D that game:

Kaberle (22:35) - Yushkevich (25:48)
Markov (21:31) - Andrusak (17:12)
Cross (17:19) - Diduck (14:00)

Andrusak never played in the NHL after that game and Diduck wasn't far behind. If your #7 and #8 D are playing, you might have a harder time breaking the puck out.
It was a hard game to watch.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
A lot has changed, Marty. Rules, pace of game, knowledge regarding injuries/workload, talented backups.. probably more. But yeah, when you remove all context it sounds pretty neat I guess

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Yeah. The pace of the game hasnt changed in the slightest since Brodeur was in his prime!

Listening to the ClearSite guys talking about how the pace of the game is now more demanding than it was just 5 years ago certainly points to that. Teams aren't willing to just whip random, low-chance pucks on net, they work way harder to get better looks than they did years ago.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
A lot has changed, Marty. Rules, pace of game, knowledge regarding injuries/workload, talented backups.. probably more. But yeah, when you remove all context it sounds pretty neat I guess

I think Marty acknowledged and accepted all that in the article. But I suppose if we're going to get outraged over a headline, then okay.

----------------

Getting back to the style of play, Marty didn't adopt the butterfly until later in his career. We've seen an uptick in goalie injuries as the butterfly has become the standard. I'd almost compare to how MLB starters don't log as many innings as they did in the 80's/90's. They're being asked to throw harder and put their arms through more.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think Marty acknowledged and accepted all that in the article. But I suppose if we're going to get outraged over a headline, then okay.

----------------

Getting back to the style of play, Marty didn't adopt the butterfly until later in his career. We've seen an uptick in goalie injuries as the butterfly has become the standard. I'd almost compare to how MLB starters don't log as many innings as they did in the 80's/90's. They're being asked to throw harder and put their arms through more.

Even in the '80's and '90's, they didn't throw on off-days like they did in the '50's or earlier. It's always an evolution.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Thats kinda of an odd thing to bring up? Is there really a big difference?

Last 4 seasons, Hellebuyck played the most games and started 78% of the Jets games

The 4 seasons between 2000 and 2004, Kolzig was 2nd in games played and played in 82% of his team's games. Brodeur was first with near 90%, but he was a freak.

The goalie with 10th most games is Bobrovsky, who started 63% of the Panthers games. 10th in 2000s was Mike Dunham with 65% of potential games started.

By the 20th goalie (Merzilikins), we suddenly drop to 50% of games played to 57% by Kevin Weekes in early 2000s.

By the 30th goalie, both era had a 42% of games started.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad