OT: Non-Hockey Sports Thread XII - Heeeeeeressss JJ! (Percy Harvin Edition)

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
We got JJ McCarthy and Dallas Turner. Kwesi rocked this draft on paper. So glad we didn't get Penix ffs. McCarthy and Maye are the only two QBs I even wanted to draft tbh.

Can still draft Penix just later than top 10. If he is there at 23, perfectly fine to take him there
So glad we dodged this bullet.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Think the pups can complete the sweep tonight? They've completely dominated the Suns so far, I think it's gonna happen.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Think the pups can complete the sweep tonight? They've completely dominated the Suns so far, I think it's gonna happen.
I truly do hope they do. It would be great to have something to hang out hat on this year in terms of pro sports. The Vikings, Wild, and probably the Twins didn't sniff the playoffs this year.

SwordsgoneWild

WhenyougazeintotheabysstheBuffaloSabresgazeback
Mar 6, 2011
Lake Worth,Fl
Suns are in rough shape. No 1st rounder till 2030...Ouch. This will be hard to bounce back from but who cares about them. First series win since '04 against the Kings. Feels great . We also beat the Nuggets that year so hopefully we do it again lol. C'mon Lakers . Be a pal and take another game or 2 against Denver.

Reactions: Soldier13Fox

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Comcast just dropped Bally Sports. That leaves two options to watch the Twins as of now - Fubo TV and DirecTV. Pathetic.

The Wild would also be impacted if they were mid-season still. Can't imagine what would have happened if there was a Bally-exclusive playoff game.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Comcast just dropped Bally Sports. That leaves two options to watch the Twins as of now - Fubo TV and DirecTV. Pathetic.

The Wild would also be impacted if they were mid-season still. Can't imagine what would have happened if there was a Bally-exclusive playoff game.
When was the last time local baseball TV coverage was this bad, the 60's?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

I wish all the teams would just leave Ballys and be done with it.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Yeah, let’s not be able to watch the games at all!
No, lets find an actual solution, because Bally's isn't it. More people were able to watch local games prior to all the regional sports networks than can watch them now because of Bally's limited availability.
Sports will continue to exist long after Bally's demise. Get Bally's out of the picture, and better solutions will be found.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
No, lets find an actual solution, because Bally's isn't it. More people were able to watch local games prior to all the regional sports networks than can watch them now because of Bally's limited availability.
Sports will continue to exist long after Bally's demise. Get Bally's out of the picture, and better solutions will be found.
People know they can just buy the *insert league* package and get a VPN, right?

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
10 games in a row for the twins , Buxton goes down because he’s made of glass though.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
That's fine and well for those who can afford it, but not everyone can afford those packages, thus they limit themselves to only fans of a certain income level then.
Hence why they have regional networks like Ballys…

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
That's fine and well for those who can afford it, but not everyone can afford those packages, thus they limit themselves to only fans of a certain income level then.
Not only that but streaming companies are “cracking down” on VPN use. There’s been times I’ve tried to watch a game with use of a VPN and had to try numerous different locations, some times nothing worked.

My assumption is that they block the subnet, but I’m not entirely sure.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Hence why they have regional networks like Ballys…
And Bally's is getting more and more difficult to get at affordable pricing.
They are going bankrupt because they charge more than the market wants to pay.
The regional networks are failing due to high pricing.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

The regional networks are failing due a drastic shift in what and how people get their entertainment. People aren't subscribing to cable/sat dish anymore. Current total subscriber numbers are on on par with the late 80's/early 90's and steadily dropping. Cable blew up in the in the late-90s/early 00s and that's when channels start popping up out of the woodwork. Now with subscriber numbers dropping channels will start shutting down.

Netflix is going to kill cable the same way it killed Blockbuster. Well Netflix alone won't do it, but they gave the blueprint on how to make make streaming successful.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
The regional networks are failing due a drastic shift in what and how people get their entertainment. People aren't subscribing to cable/sat dish anymore. Current total subscriber numbers are on on par with the late 80's/early 90's and steadily dropping. Cable blew up in the in the late-90s/early 00s and that's when channels start popping up out of the woodwork. Now with subscriber numbers dropping channels will start shutting down.

Netflix is going to kill cable the same way it killed Blockbuster. Well Netflix alone won't do it, but they gave the blueprint on how to make make streaming successful.
Which is funny because streaming companies saw this opportunity and jumped at it BUT most streaming companies also lose money. There’stoo much maybe saturation. I believe I counted, at one point, 18 different streaming services -this does not including TV streaming such as YoutubeTv or Sling.

There’s not THAT much good content to support 18+ streaming services, plus who can afford that? Most people ditched cable because it was/is in the $100+/month.

If they, the companies, were smart, they would consolidate to maybe 5 streaming services max. But instead of content companies each having their own streaming services, they would license out the content to (numerous different) streaming services.

Much like how you used to be able to (can you still?) watch The Office on Netflix. Instead of having to purchase a subscription to PeacockTv or whatever it’s called.

As a side note, before the boom of streaming platforms, online piracy was at an all-time low. After the boom, or currently, piracy is, or is close to, an all-time high. In short, people don’t want to be nickel and dimed.

See the outrage over BMW trying to charge for seat warmers as a subscription.

Reactions: TaLoN

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
There’s a thing called a superbox , been a year since I cut the cord and I have more programming now than ever

Reactions: Wild11MN

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
It’s $190 for a year and I get to watch the Wild, Bucks, Brewers and some Badger hockey games. That’s hardly expensive compared to cable or TV streaming services.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00