Do the Buffalo Sabres make the playoffs?

Do the Buffalo Sabres make the playoffs?

• Total voters

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Buffalo wins a bunch of consecutive close games. HF says it's only because they got lucky.
Buffalo starts dropping a bunch of equally close games. HF declares the team bad.

Hmmm.

Reality is the team is competitive just about every night. We've had some lucky stretches and some unlucky stretches, and the Sabres are a young team with a flawed roster bound to be a bit streaky. They're probably fighting for a wildcard spot right up until the end of the season.

I mean they won 7 of those games in OT so yes, they did get lucky OT is based on luck

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Missing the point. You can't ascribe close wins to good luck and then completely dismiss the idea that close losses are due to bad luck.
why? Buffalo is the 6th worst team in xgf%. they don't play their opponents equally, so it makes sense for them to lose more than they win

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Exactly. I remember some of us saying all of this back when they were bragging about their big win streak and we were met with boisterous laughter. Not so funny now, is it?

The Sabres are not a good team. One little 10 game winning streak doesn't change that. They have no depth and no good Goalies. And now, they are falling back down to earth, as predicted.

They will miss the playoffs.

“Little 10 game win streak” interesting choice of words

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
why? Buffalo is the 6th worst team in xgf%. they don't play their opponents equally, so it makes sense for them to lose more than they win

I think the fact that the Canes are #1 in the league in expected goal differential while they're just limping into the wildcard race tells you all you need to know about how helpful those stats are as stand-alones (i.e., not very).

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I think the fact that the Canes are #1 in the league in expected goal differential while they're just limping into the wildcard race tells you all you need to know about how helpful those stats are as stand-alones (i.e., not very).
there are exceptions of course, but are the Sabres really one of them? the only worse teams are Chicago, Anaheim, Ottawa, Detroit, Vancouver. that seems like a pretty distinct group to me. given Buffalo's recent losing skid, maybe you should consider giving a little more credit to that metric. It did see it coming. Buffalo isn't a talented enough team that they can keep winning games despite getting outplayed heavily

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Missing the point. You can't ascribe close wins to good luck and then completely dismiss the idea that close losses are due to bad luck.

Close losses in regulation are not as luck based as wins in OT and the shootout. Only one of the last 9 losses went to OT, whereas 7 of the 10 wins on the streak did

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad