Do the Buffalo Sabres make the playoffs?

Do the Buffalo Sabres make the playoffs?

• Total voters

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
LOL. Way to generalize all Leaf fans.........by saying that all Leaf fans generalize everyone else. Makes sense. Nevermind the ones who offered congrats for the 10 game win streak(like me, who happens to actually like the Buffalo Sabres lineup...). ;)

I know not all Sabre's fans were scoffing at the suggestions of a "return to earth". But some certainly were.

I didn’t generalize...read more carefully

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Really, which fans said this? I didn't see any Buffalo fans saying this.

The ones I read posts from were cautiously optimistic, but knew there were no guarantees. They also acknowledged Tampa and Toronto were the two top teams in the division.

Please let us know who said this above, so we can set them straight.

After a very quick search.........

OneBuffalo:
- "Buffalo > Toronto. Look at the standings"
- "Sabres are more successful so far this year than Toronto. Buffalo > Toronto"

BFLO:
"The cheese stands alone. 1st place in the NHL The Buffalo Sabres"

I'm sure there are more, but I don't feel like searching through a zillion posts. :)

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012

OneBuffalo:

BFLO:

I'm sure there are more, but I don't feel like searching through a zillion posts. :)

2 people...wow totally worth it to make a salty post over 2 posters.

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I voted no

I'm a habs fan and I like our team's chances better. I also don't think 5 teams in the Atlantic make it - (though I technically don't like the NYI's chances either lol). still - my guess is no.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
2 people...wow totally worth it to make a salty post over 2 posters.

LOL. As I said......there are more. But I can't be bothered to go back through every single post to show them.

You love to generalize everything and paint with broad strokes, don't you?

Just like every other poster on here, since the site started, I guess.

:)

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
LOL. As I said......there are more. But I can't be bothered to go back through every single post to show them.

You love to generalize everything and paint with broad strokes, don't you?

Just like every other poster on here, since the site started, I guess.

:)

What did I generalize...?

I was just pointing out that you obviously selectively looked for posts to suit your narrative and you chose to ignore the vast number of posts that didn’t.

Regardless I don’t think you even know what the word generalize means.

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Impossible to know. The way i see it going into the 2nd half one of Islanders/Canadiens/Sabres are going to miss. The top 3's in each division have good teams and too strong of a culture to drop out of the playoffs completely.

So i guess flip a coin. A lot of hockey left to be played. Injuries will play a part.

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
I think it will take longer than 3 years the difference in depth between the 2 teams is extreme

Depth today, without question goes to the Leafs. After they sign Matthew's, and Marner they are going to take a hit to depth without question. You guys are very lucky you got Kadri and Reilly signed to cheap deals early. I think it's going to allow you to be competitive long into the future because those will be depth players for the Leafs but could be core players for a lot of teams.

Buffalo needs the kids in Rochester to step up and fill in as depth scoring help as soon as possible. If we aren't a playoff lock by the time Dahlin's ELC is up we are in big trouble, it needs to be sorted in the next year or two, because if Reinhart or Mitts doesnt step up here soon and allow us to get one or both on a decent long term contract, we are pretty screwed.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
It's funny cause what most of us posted was "this isn't going to last but we're enjoying it"

This is what certain Leaf fans have always done. Take the opinions of a select few and act like everyone was saying it, even in a thread full of people saying the opposite.

Leafs fans are weird about the Sabres.
Either way, neither will win the Cup this year so we can bring this back:

Reactions: dukeofjive

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
It’s interesting that more people think they will fall out then stay in.

I guess staying in a playoff spot in arguably the toughest division in hockey for over two months doesent get you much respect. We had a stretch where the team was 18-5-4 in 27 games.

There only a few pts behind Toronto, maybe a lot of their fans are Hoping so they voted no as in “I hope not.”

The only way buffalo falls out at this point assuming Tampa Toronto and Boston are all locks. Let’s also assume the jackets caps and pens do too.

So there’s two spots left and the islanders canadiens and sabres (as of now) fight for them.

That means you’re saying (the people who voted no) that BOTH these teams are going to finish higher then buffalo?

One team doesent have a number one center and Cary prices save percentage is once again low (if he’s even healthy) domi hasn’t scored in 13 games and the other team is backstopped by robin lehner. I mean, they got a great coach and good scoring and d, and buffalo has some holes for sure too.

But I could see one maybe ahead of buffalo, but both? Nah.

Before the year I would figure Florida to be ahead of buffalo but how someone like them or Carolina would have to win ten out of twelve and then have a couple other 6 out 8 streaks with help on the outside to make it.

But hey, maybe the islanders and canadiens do finish higher then buffalo, anything can happen, they both have better parts to their teams then the Sabres in areas. We shall see, I didn’t like our chances before the year and a lot of people have fallen off believing but when you look at it all they have to do is finish better then one of those two as of now with how things are and I think yes, they can do that.

Nope they're fraudulent and won a ton of close games during a big win streak.

Bad underlying numbers, no depth after top line, not much depth on the blue line.

Don't see it.

It goes both ways with winning close games, after the ten game winning streak they lost four of the next five all by one goal to the four best teams in the league, and have lost a lot in overtime or shootouts.

By the way winning by one is not at all a sign of weakness, it means your clutch and many playoff teams, even cup winners and finalists in years past have had the highest percentage of one goal victories.

They need scoring depth, I’m not pretending they’re perfect but that’s not the question.

Its ridiculous to suggest their fraudulent, no one stays in a playoff spot for over two months by “mistake.”

Seems there’s some kind of hatred/insecurity or both in your statements.

I find many leaf fans want buffalo to stay at the bottom for a long time because they got bugged by some sabres fans I guess and want it in return, they’re terrified at the prospect of buffalo getting good. But with Eichel and dahlin to build around, you bet that’s exactly what’s going to happen sooner or later.

Infact you know what terrifies some leaf fans the most? The prospect of us winning a playoff series before they do. Oh boy...the madness that would come. I’m sure there will be a way certain leaf fans (and when I say leaf fans I don’t mean all I just mean some) would find ways to justify it happening, like the refs won it for us or Matthews wasn’t getting a bunch of ice time, or something silly.

Not with Glass Eichel as their captain.

Glass Eichel, lol.

He’s sprained his ankles twice both of which were freak occurrences (you’re not made of glass that way) and this time it’s a upper body injury the first day to day injury he’s had in his entire playing career going back to junior.

3 injuries one of the three minor in his last 7 seasons.

Is it auston glass Matthews too? Because he’s had more injuries especially of the day to day variety.

and yeah, eichels such a bad captain, he was only the top scoring American, highest scoring center in the entire eastern conference before doing down, only kucherov had more points in the entire east.

Before going down he was first in shots, and in the top few in scoring chances, high quality scoring chances, transition zone rushes (zone entries), offensive one possession, 4th in assists, 4th in even strength points, 6th in scoring league wide and captain of a team that’s what four Pts behind Toronto and averaging 1.30 PPG, has 170 Pts in his Last 164 games all while never having had a linemate to ever hit 60 pts. All at 22 years old on awful teams, with little offensive help up against the best competition on a nightly basis. What. A. Bum.

OneBuffalo:

BFLO:

Hey I’m still waiting for skinner to stop scoring, (29 goals) and eichels PPG (1.30) to fall down, like you said it would every week for the last two and a half months? When’s it going to happen?

Last edited:

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Hey I’m still waiting for skinner to stop scoring, (29 goals) and eichels PPG (1.30) to fall down, like you said it would every week for the last two and a half months? When’s it going to happen?

Uh......I never said anything of the sort. Enjoy making things up, do ya? :)

I said that Buffalo lacks scoring depth and can't rely on those two Goalies for much at all, and it'll all come back down to earth soon enough.

Takasugi

Dec 7, 2018
It’s interesting that more people think they will fall out then stay in.

I guess staying in a playoff spot in arguably the toughest division in hockey for over two months doesent get you much respect. We had a stretch where the team was 18-5-4 in 27 games.

There only a few pts behind Toronto, maybe a lot of their fans are Hoping so they voted no as in “I hope not.”

The only way buffalo falls out at this point assuming Tampa Toronto and Boston are all locks. Let’s also assume the jackets caps and pens do too.

So there’s two spots left and the islanders canadiens and sabres (as of now) fight for them.

That means you’re saying (the people who voted no) that BOTH these teams are going to finish higher then buffalo?

One team doesent have a number one center and Cary prices save percentage is once again low (if he’s even healthy) domi hasn’t scored in 13 games and the other team is backstopped by robin lehner. I mean, they got a great coach and good scoring and d, and buffalo has some holes for sure too.

But I could see one maybe ahead of buffalo, but both? Nah.

Before the year I would figure Florida to be ahead of buffalo but how someone like them or Carolina would have to win ten out of twelve and then have a couple other 6 out 8 streaks with help on the outside to make it.

But hey, maybe the islanders and canadiens do finish higher then buffalo, anything can happen, they both have better parts to their teams then the Sabres in areas. We shall see, I didn’t like our chances before the year and a lot of people have fallen off believing but when you look at it all they have to do is finish better then one of those two as of now with how things are and I think yes, they can do that.

It goes both ways with winning close games, after the ten game winning streak they lost four of the next five all by one goal to the four best teams in the league, and have lost a lot in overtime or shootouts.

By the way winning by one is not at all a sign of weakness, it means your clutch and many playoff teams, even cup winners and finalists in years past have had the highest percentage of one goal victories.

They need scoring depth, I’m not pretending they’re perfect but that’s not the question.

Its ridiculous to suggest their fraudulent, no one stays in a playoff spot for over two months by “mistake.”

Seems there’s some kind of hatred/insecurity or both in your statements.

I find many leaf fans want buffalo to stay at the bottom for a long time because they got bugged by some sabres fans I guess and want it in return, they’re terrified at the prospect of buffalo getting good. But with Eichel and dahlin to build around, you bet that’s exactly what’s going to happen sooner or later.

Infact you know what terrifies some leaf fans the most? The prospect of us winning a playoff series before they do. Oh boy...the madness that would come. I’m sure there will be a way certain leaf fans (and when I say leaf fans I don’t mean all I just mean some) would find ways to justify it happening, like the refs won it for us or Matthews wasn’t getting a bunch of ice time, or something silly.

Glass Eichel, lol.

He’s sprained his ankles twice both of which were freak occurrences (you’re not made of glass that way) and this time it’s a upper body injury the first day to day injury he’s had in his entire playing career going back to junior.

3 injuries one of the three minor in his last 7 seasons.

Is it auston glass Matthews too? Because he’s had more injuries especially of the day to day variety.

and yeah, eichels such a bad captain, he was only the top scoring American, highest scoring center in the entire eastern conference before doing down, only kucherov had more points in the entire east.

Before going down he was first in shots, and in the top few in scoring chances, high quality scoring chances, transition zone rushes (zone entries), offensive one possession, 4th in assists, 4th in even strength points, 6th in scoring league wide and captain of a team that’s what four Pts behind Toronto and averaging 1.30 PPG, has 170 Pts in his Last 164 games all while never having had a linemate to ever hit 60 pts. All at 22 years old on awful teams, with little offensive help up against the best competition on a nightly basis. What. A. Bum.

I think you overestimate how much leaf fans care about buffalo. I don't really think many do honestly.

Also highly doubt buffalo wins a playoff series this year. If they make it in they are gonna get destroyed by Tampa or caps/pens

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
Uh......I never said anything of the sort. Enjoy making things up, do ya? :)

I said that Buffalo lacks scoring depth and can't rely on those two Goalies for much at all, and it'll all come back down to earth soon enough.

No....you specifically said buffalos fall will continue and then I was pretty sure you said skinner will stop scoring and eichels points will come down ...this was a month ago unless I confused you for someone else on the last part If so my fault, you definitely were the Hutton Ullmark bashes though and both guys have Been very good all season. Just like they were last year. Probably why buffalo trails Toronto by just four Pts.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Said it in pretty much any other thread about the Sabres this year. They are a bubble team regardless of any win or loss streaks they have had/will have. Voted no. My prediction before the season was they will get close and just barely miss.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
I think you overestimate how much leaf fans care about buffalo. I don't really think many do honestly.

Also highly doubt buffalo wins a playoff series this year. If they make it in they are gonna get destroyed by Tampa or caps/pens

Oh no, trust me....I’ve been told the last two years on a daily basis by leaf fans how much buffalo fans said “the rebuild was ahead LOL LOL” they only did this every day when buffalo was dead last and would not stop and at the beginning of the year it was a daily thing. This may not represent you and that’s good on you but it does completely exist on here, it’s everywhere all you need to do is go into a thread revolving Eichel Matthews or a poll thread wth buffalo vs Toronto or any thread revolving the two teams. It’s on every single page.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad