Speculation: Do the Avs trade a top-4 defenceman for a forward?

Do the Avs trade a top-4 defenceman for a forward?

• Yes

Votes: 34 53.1%
  • No

Votes: 30 46.9%

• Total voters

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
Would like to see Byram play for one season healthy before we move the elf.

Girard should be traded even if the Avs didn't have a #2C issue.

Dude is a regular season player who cannot handle the playoffs. 5 playoffs, 3 injuries and played scared against Vegas which is just pathetic.
I agree with the part where G is a playoff liability, but, he was playing so good until he got crushed this post season.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Nope, they want the luxury of a 5th top4 Dman in case of injury.

Should they? That is a different question, and my answer is maybe. The cap wiggle they would get from shipping G or EJ (or even Toews) off would help a ton in bringing in a 2C, whether by trade directly, or signing UFA.

As for Newhook....folks seem to be writing him off already as a future 2C or even a higher end 2W. And locking him in below Lehkonen? He scored 33 points in 71 games as a rookie, often in a 4th line role. That is better than any of Lehkonen's previous 5 seasons before coming here. Newhook has some learning to do, and will likely not be a regular in the top6 this year, but I bet he will be a primary fill-in for it (at wing).

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
Nope, they want the luxury of a 5th top4 Dman in case of injury.

Should they? That is a different question, and my answer is maybe. The cap wiggle they would get from shipping G or EJ (or even Toews) off would help a ton in bringing in a 2C, whether by trade directly, or signing UFA.

As for Newhook....folks seem to be writing him off already as a future 2C or even a higher end 2W. And locking him in below Lehkonen? He scored 33 points in 71 games as a rookie, often in a 4th line role. That is better than any of Lehkonen's previous 5 seasons before coming here. Newhook has some learning to do, and will likely not be a regular in the top6 this year, but I bet he will be a primary fill-in for it (at wing).
Good point Tweaky. I don’t want to see Newhook leave before he gets a shot to bloom.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
EJ must go. He is anchor right now. Girard is good to have with Toews contract. EJ simply has to go... (Unless unreal return)

Nothing else makes as much sense.

Reactions: Forceberg

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I have my doubts about Girard trade right now. We would be selling low and we know Sakic has patience for his valuable pieces, like Duchene. He must value Girard quite a bit because his sweetheart contract. We should not sell him for cheap to save cap space, it makes ZERO sense.

EJ is the man out. Nothing else makes as much sense. Buy him out/trade him. Whatever is the best action.

Girard for Patrick Kane and move Rantanen to center

Too much for a rental.

Kane has no movement clause too I think. His price isn't anywhere near Girard.

Reactions: Kaizer

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
The question is... Where could Girard even go?

Florida if they don't get a deal done with Weegar? LA? Montreal? Ottawa? San Jose?

Not many fits for Girard IMO. LA is probably the best one but that's dependent on them wanting another undersized puck mover. They do have a need for a Top 4 LD though. And some appealing future assets.

Ottawa makes sense as well if they want to insulate Sanderson and ease Chabots minutes a bit. But they don't have nearly as interesting of an asset pool.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
The question is... Where could Girard even go?

Florida if they don't get a deal done with Weegar? LA? Montreal? Ottawa? San Jose?

Not many fits for Girard IMO. LA is probably the best one but that's dependent on them wanting another undersized puck mover. They do have a need for a Top 4 LD though. And some appealing future assets.

Ottawa makes sense as well if they want to insulate Sanderson and ease Chabots minutes a bit. But they don't have nearly as interesting of an asset pool.

Girard+ for Lundell. It's a deal!

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Kadri $6.5m X 7
JTC out for a pick
JJ $750k
Sign/acquire $750k forward (ideally a 3RW with $1.5m caphit but 50% retained)

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Nichushkin
Lehkonen - Kadri - Rantanen
Newhook - Meyers - $750k 3RW
Cogliano - Helm - O'Connor
MacDermid

Toews - Makar
Byram - EJ
Girard - Manson
JJ

That's a 22 man roster with $47k capspace.

Cap accrual would be difficult with that limited capspace, so trade for a big LTIR contract and play the LTIR capspace game.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I know people are saying EJ’s contract is a reservoir for Mac’s raise but it seems stupid to trade a better, more cost controlled dman. I think we have to try to move EJ to make this year work and then figure out another way to clear space for next year

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I'd rather the Avs use Compher or Rantanen at 2C until the deadline than move that sweet Girard contract.
The Avs will need that in the future more than they need a stopgap right now.

I agree with Byram needing a deal in 1 year and Toews needing one in 2 years, if you trade Girard right now, our D could go from a strength to a major weakness in 2 seasons.

Last edited:

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
You think Vancouver are giving JT Miller for Sam G? And I don't think Sam Bennett is much of an upgrade to Compher/Mikko, even if Panthers would make a deal. Only scenario that makes sense is that They are able to sign Kadri by dishing out G to somewhere for picks, but that's likely not going to happen.
I think the ask for Miller must be substantial and that’s why he hasn’t moved yet. Vancouver has put a lot of energy into publicly inflating his value. And if they’ve been stubborn so far on getting their ask, I’m not sure Girard gets it done. Toews is worth Miller (probably more) but Toews doesn’t fit Vancouver’s timeline.

When Sam Bennett was first mentioned I was also dismissive. It wasn’t long ago that we were debating whether to trade JTC for him because he wasn’t doing that well in Calgary at the time.

But you should look into him and specifically his time in Florida. He’s been a .79 PPG player during his time in Florida. He’s been their 2C. He plays with jam so he can adapt well to the Avs heavy forechecking. And he is making 4.3 for the next three years (unlike Miller). However, he’s probably available to make room for Lundell.

Like I said, I was dismissive at first (and I’m still not sure what to think) but when looking into it, I can see reasons that are likely appeal to the Avs management. I can see why the Avs might think it’s the better option - mainly because of the three years.

I also think, in trade for Bennett, Colorado should get back a small add such as a prospect/pick or two. The Avs have rather depleted their prospect pool and their allotment of picks and this might be a way to slightly replenish that.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I think the ask for Miller must be substantial and that’s why he hasn’t moved yet. Vancouver has put a lot of energy into publicly inflating his value. And if they’ve been stubborn so far on getting their ask, I’m not sure Girard gets it done. Toews is worth Miller (probably more) but Toews doesn’t fit Vancouver’s timeline.

When Sam Bennett was first mentioned I was also dismissive. It wasn’t long ago that we were debating whether to trade JTC for him because he wasn’t doing that well in Calgary at the time.

But you should look into him and specifically his time in Florida. He’s been a .79 PPG player during his time in Florida. He’s been their 2C. He plays with jam so he can adapt well to the Avs heavy forechecking. And he is making 4.3 for the next three years (unlike Miller). However, he’s probably available to make room for Lundell.

Like I said, I was dismissive at first (and I’m still not sure what to think) but when looking into it, I can see reasons that are likely appeal to the Avs management. I can see why the Avs might think it’s the better option - mainly because of the three years.

I also think, in trade for Bennett, Colorado should get back a small add such as a prospect/pick or two. The Avs have rather depleted their prospect pool and their allotment of picks and this might be a way to slightly replenish that.
Vancouver should have moved JTM at the TDL when his value was at its highest. Now they might just be better off waiting until next season's TDL because the return they'll get now I'm the off-season probably isn't much better than what they'll get at the TDL.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I'd rather the Avs use Compher or Rantanen at 2C until the deadline than move that sweet Girard contract.
The Avs will need that in the future more than they need a stopgap right now.

And like people are saying, we'd be selling cheap. No point doing that. Some team will get desperate for offensive D and pay kings ransom for him. We need patience.

Remember the Duchene trade. For a long time Sakic didn't get good offers but he kept waiting and got proper jackpot. If we took the offers before, we would have been robbed blind..

And with Girard we have term to wait, so we are not in hurry. Wait for desperate team.

Mackinn on your girl

Jan 10, 2020
I think that if an extension could be reached with Miller prior to the trade (7 x 7, this maybe wishful thinking), we could see a 3 team trade. Something like:
To Colorado - JT Miller (7 x7 extension)
To Ottawa - Sam Girard
To Vancouver - Ott 2024 1st, 2023 2nd, Lassi Thomson

That would still leave us 2.7 million on the cap this year to accrue space and cover bonuses and leaves Jacob MacDonald on the third pair with EJ (which may not be ideal). Leaves us around 10 million next year to sign Bo and Newy, as well as replace EJ, which means we would be filling the bottom 6 with ELC's/bargain bin contracts. Not ideal but that time is coming

Reactions: missionAvs

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I think that if an extension could be reached with Miller prior to the trade (7 x 7, this maybe wishful thinking), we could see a 3 team trade. Something like:
To Colorado - JT Miller (7 x7 extension)
To Ottawa - Sam Girard
To Vancouver - Ott 2024 1st, 2023 2nd, Lassi Thomson

That would still leave us 2.7 million on the cap this year to accrue space and cover bonuses and leaves Jacob MacDonald on the third pair with EJ (which may not be ideal). Leaves us around 10 million next year to sign Bo and Newy, as well as replace EJ, which means we would be filling the bottom 6 with ELC's/bargain bin contracts. Not ideal but that time is coming
Is Vancouver now allowing this? Because that was an issue during the last week or so. And wouldn't you also want to know what Horvat's ask is after this year before you trade something of value for either?

Mackinn on your girl

Jan 10, 2020
Is Vancouver now allowing this? Because that was an issue during the last week or so. And wouldn't you also want to know what Horvat's ask is after this year before you trade something of value for either?
I have no idea if they are allowing it to tell you the truth. Yes I would assume the Vancouver would want to know what Horvat's ask is, I personally don't care because I don't like nor want him. I was just coming up with my hypothetical/ideal situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad