Speculation: Do the Avs trade a top-4 defenceman for a forward?

Do the Avs trade a top-4 defenceman for a forward?

• Yes

Votes: 34 53.1%
  • No

Votes: 30 46.9%

• Total voters

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
I’m not panicking yet. I trust them(sakic/Mac) To fill it and be really smart about it

Reactions: 5280

TomppaKoo

Jan 27, 2021
I don't know which team would give up a good center for Girard and who that center would be? G is young and an epitome of the Avs style of play. Wouldn't want to get rid of him.

My bet is Mikko will play the 2C and they might try to get a scoring winger for 2nd line. There are still plenty of those available in UFA market and they'd come with cheaper price than a C would. The scoring that is lost with Burakowski and Kadri will not be easy to replace.

Also, They are going to make playoffs with this roster no matter who is the 2C and at the trade deadline there is always an opportunity to upgrade that C department for a cup run.

Reactions: Reparlana

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I really don’t want them to trade Girard but the Manson signing has me thinking a dman is probably on the move. Wasn’t expecting Manson back at all.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
You could definitely go the Newhook route, but that doesn’t create any cap space.

Unless you’re getting retention on whoever the target is, you’d need to add EJ + futures to that kind of deal.

It’s certainly an option, but the Avs only have $3.9M in cap space left.

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
I don't really see that as 11 million on the 3rd pairing. Just think of it as MacK making 12 million as our #1 C. Which is what will happen next season anyway.

Also there's no way Bednar will run traditional 1st 2nd and 3rd pairing minutes though out the season if that's our D depth. It'll all be situational.

Defensemen have it hard in this league and are forced to fill the same amount of minutes as the forward groups with having one less line. After the lockout offense ran the league. Then it went back to gritty defending almost like the clutch and grab era. Now the Avs have evolved the defensive position by having them create a lot of the offense with talented speedsters on every pairing from the back end. I believe focusing on that and putting our money in what just won is the cup is the way to go.

Yes I agree. But Girard didn't play one minute and we still won the cup.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Yes I agree. But Girard didn't play one minute and we still won the cup.
He played outstanding in game 1 vs the Blues. He got a goal and set up the OT play where Manson ended it. Injuries are going to happen. If it wasn't G then it could have been one of the others. The whole point is to be deep.

Snow Arc

New doctor; Please be patient
Aug 14, 2020
Look.
Ya know who would be a simply fantastic 2c?

Nazem Kadri.

What is the price?

Somebody else's job on a good contract. Bura gone isn't enuff.

Gotta balance the scales...

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I notice that Florida is now
I don't know which team would give up a good center for Girard and who that center would be? G is young and an epitome of the Avs style of play. Wouldn't want to get rid of him.

My bet is Mikko will play the 2C and they might try to get a scoring winger for 2nd line. There are still plenty of those available in UFA market and they'd come with cheaper price than a C would. The scoring that is lost with Burakowski and Kadri will not be easy to replace.

Also, They are going to make playoffs with this roster no matter who is the 2C and at the trade deadline there is always an opportunity to upgrade that C department for a cup run.
A couple have possibilities that have been mentioned today have been JT Miller and Sam Bennett. Each of their teams are currently projected to be 2-3 million over the cap. JT Miller has one year left on his deal. Sam Bennett has 3 years left.

TomppaKoo

Jan 27, 2021
I notice that Florida is now

A couple have possibilities that have been mentioned today have been JT Miller and Sam Bennett. Each of their teams are currently projected to be 2-3 million over the cap. JT Miller has one year left on his deal. Sam Bennett has 3 years left.
You think Vancouver are giving JT Miller for Sam G? And I don't think Sam Bennett is much of an upgrade to Compher/Mikko, even if Panthers would make a deal. Only scenario that makes sense is that They are able to sign Kadri by dishing out G to somewhere for picks, but that's likely not going to happen.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
Yes, but not right now. I think Sakic keeps the 2C hole for the start of the year.

Keep D our strength heading into the season, then go from there. Injuries happen so you don't overplay your hand right now.

Reactions: BoneCherry

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I've got a feeling the Avs are going to wait this out. Maybe not until the trade deadline but definitely at least halfway through the season and see where other teams are at. A defense of

Toews - Makar
Byram - EJ
Girard - Manson

is such a luxury to run every night. It'll make Georgiev's transition to the team that much easier. J.T. Compher is in a contract year, too and I think he's going to get the first crack at 2C. I believe Ben Meyers will also get the first crack at 3C with Alex Newhook on his wing.

There could definitely be some options from now until the trade deadline next season, though. Just spitballing names here but in order from highest cap hit to lowest:

Jonathan Toews
Dylan Larkin
Joe Pavelski
Bo Horvat
J.T. Miller

Are all centres that could potentially be on the move based on their respective teams not being in playoff contention. Obviously some here (Miller, Larkin) are a lot better than others (Toews) but there shouldn't be a shortage of good centres available for the Avs to target if they feel Compher ain't the guy for the job.

But to start? I think they give guys like Compher/Meyers and even Newhook every opportunity to take that 2C job. If they can't do it, someone (Girard) will have to go.

BoneCherry

Nov 19, 2021
Dallas
I suppose anything is possible, but not necessarily likely.

It's as likely we find another reclamation project or someone with depth that they already have their eyes on. If Kadri comes back they have to deal someone, but if he signs elsewhere, I think it's a much smaller chance. They will work with what they have is my gut feeling.

Would a Compher trade work to make cap space available for Kadri's return or does it have to be a defenseman?

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
That is what i think as well. Try Compher as 2C and go from there.
Pretty sure Compher/Meyers will be 2C. Most likely Compher. But I really want to see either JTC or Newhook and picks moved for Kane at 50%. Then later in the season move the other one and picks (overpay a bit if necessary to get cap retention for the rest of this season) for Bo Horvat if possible.

We'd probably have to move Girard in the summer to make way for Horvat's raise though even if we were able to keep him in the Horvat deal. Although if Girard is used in the Horvat deal, Bo better be coming with either an extension in place or some decent conditional picks that pop in should he not re-sign with us.

FreudsLeatherJacket

Oct 19, 2019
Compher at 2C makes me want to puke. Dude is an inconsistent 3rd line center who usually plays better on the wing.

I'd rather try Newhook since he has a higher ceiling. Maybe with two of Lehk, Nuke, Landeskog, or Rantanen as his wingers he could be a decent center. Got to think Avs will make at least one more major move though. No way they go into the season with 3.5m+ in cap space.

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
You could definitely go the Newhook route, but that doesn’t create any cap space.

Unless you’re getting retention on whoever the target is, you’d need to add EJ + futures to that kind of deal.

It’s certainly an option, but the Avs only have $3.9M in cap space left.

Miller with retention doesn’t require any cap space. And you’d have room to pickup a cheap bottom 6 guy if they go full retention.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Girard should be traded even if the Avs didn't have a #2C issue.

Dude is a regular season player who cannot handle the playoffs. 5 playoffs, 3 injuries and played scared against Vegas which is just pathetic.

Heyduke

Oct 31, 2019
Byram still has not even come close to playing a full season healthy. And injuries are inevitable in the playoffs. No team in the league can touch the Avs' skill and depth on defense. Keep that as a strength.

Plus, Girard is on a great value contract. You need some of those if you want to stay competitive.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad