Speculation: Do the Avs trade a top-4 defenceman for a forward?

Do the Avs trade a top-4 defenceman for a forward?

• Yes

Votes: 34 53.1%
  • No

Votes: 30 46.9%

• Total voters

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
If the Avs trade for a forward I suspect that it'll be Newhook going out, or just futures.

After adding a 2C with term there won't be a place in the Avs top 6 for Newhook for a few years so he's the logical piece to move.

The Avs D quality and depth is their biggest competitive advantage and I don't think Cmac will want to ruin it.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
God I'm not sure.

A lot of people are going to say Sam Girard should be traded. But today proved again how fantastic his contract is, with free agents like Chiarot ($4.7aav), Gudbranson ($4.0aav), and Leddy ($4.0aav) getting horribly overpaid.

Then flash forward to next summer: EJ's bloated deal will be off the books, and Toews will be a year from free agency. Meanwhile Girard will be 25-years-old with four years left on his great deal.

If I'm GM, I'd explore trading Alex Newhook.

It seems highly questionable as to whether he's a center. And if he's a winger, he's behind Nichushkin (8 yrs), Landeskog (7 yrs), Lehkonen (5 yrs), and Rantanen (3 yrs) in the pecking order.

I don't love the idea of trading a 21-year-old homegrown talent who scored 33 points as a rookie. But he's obviously not a great fit long term playing limited minutes as a third line left wing.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Maybe I’m crazy. But maybe winning a cup makes it more likely they move Toews for a C? Like he’s probably a cap casualty once his deal expires as it is. Maybe CMac likes the cost certainty that Girard brings and you still get Girard and Byram for the duration of their peaks.

But that’s probably not gonna happen.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I dont think so. Newhook + 1st should be able to get it done without having to break up that Defense.
What center with term would that bring? I don’t see one. 2nd line prospect and a 28-32 pick just doesn’t have that value. It could get a guy like Miller especially as the suitors there doesn’t off. I’m not at all against that move btw

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
I hope so. Byram showed he had another gear when given more ice time/responsibility. Come playoff time rolling Makar/Toews/Byram non stop just makes so much sense. Girard doesn't pair well with them and with a healthy roster he shouldn't even be playing special teams. Who knows how his game responds to a reduced role?

Girard would be amazing injury insurance and a massive luxury as a 3rd pairing defensemen. You can't roll with that when your 2C is JTC/Newhook. 21 year old d-men who play like Byram just did don't get moved and I don't think they would move Toews due to how he pairs with Makar.

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
Toews - Makar
Byram - Manson
Girard - Johnson

11 million on that 3rd pair.

I would have said no to trading G before we resigned Manson. Now that he is back he doesn't have a spot.

-How many minutes does G get?
-What happens if Byram takes a big hit and his concussion issues come back? Then we are back to EJ in the top 4.

I'm torn. I don't think Girard gets as big of a return as most because he is a liability defensively but man that's a good group. I just don't think we can afford to carry all them.

JJ as a 3rd pair getting 8 minutes a night and a nice 2C is better than G on the 3rd pair and Compher/Newhook at 2C.

Ideally we trade G for futures...a few draft picks including a first (to use at the deadline for a rental) and a young D prospect and use his money to bring back Kadri at 7 x 7

Reactions: LOFIN

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
Maybe I’m crazy. But maybe winning a cup makes it more likely they move Toews for a C? Like he’s probably a cap casualty once his deal expires as it is. Maybe CMac likes the cost certainty that Girard brings and you still get Girard and Byram for the duration of their peaks.

But that’s probably not gonna happen.
It’s a shrewd thought but ultimately Toews is too valuable to move now with our current Cup window.

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
It really is crazy to take a step back and look at this d-core compared to what we iced for years.

I don't even think it's a hot take to say we have the best defensemen in the league, another 1D, and another potential 1D. That's just absurd. Re-signing Manson which I liked is just excessive IMO. As much as I want a d-men moved for a C ..it would be kinda crazy to watch it for an entire season/playoffs.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
With as good as our defense is and how much offense they generate, it’s not completely crazy to just pick up 1 more defensively sound center like Rodrigues and go from there. Overall we’d still have good offense but be a crazy difficult team to play against defensively.

I’m not advocating for this and prefer to trade Girard for a 2c. Whether that’s for a solid 2c with some term or for cap space/futures so we can re-sign Naz, I don’t care.

With as good as our defense is and how much offense they generate, it’s not completely crazy to just pick up 1 more defensively sound center like Rodrigues and go from there. Overall we’d still have good offense but be a crazy difficult team to play against defensively.

I’m not advocating for this and prefer to trade Girard for a 2c. Whether that’s for a solid 2c with some term or for cap space/futures so we can re-sign Naz, I don’t care.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
Don't see any way to run it back unless we trade G. Who's gonna replace Kadri's 15 points in the playoffs? That clutch goal-scoring against Vasi in Game 4? Newhook? I seriously doubt it.

Reactions: jabubenice

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Toews - Makar
Byram - Manson
Girard - Johnson

11 million on that 3rd pair.

-How many minutes does G get?
-What happens if Byram takes a big hit and his concussion issues come back? Then we are back to EJ in the top 4.

I'm torn. I don't think Girard gets as big of a return as most because he is a liability defensively but man that's a good group. I just don't think we can afford to carry all them.

JJ as a 3rd pair getting 8 minutes a night and a nice 2C is better than G on the 3rd pair and Compher/Newhook at 2C.

Ideally we trade G for futures...a few draft picks including a first (to use at the deadline for a rental) and a young D prospect and use his money to bring back Kadri at 7 x 7
I don't really see that as 11 million on the 3rd pairing. Just think of it as MacK making 12 million as our #1 C. Which is what will happen next season anyway.

Also there's no way Bednar will run traditional 1st 2nd and 3rd pairing minutes though out the season if that's our D depth. It'll all be situational.

Defensemen have it hard in this league and are forced to fill the same amount of minutes as the forward groups with having one less line. After the lockout offense ran the league. Then it went back to gritty defending almost like the clutch and grab era. Now the Avs have evolved the defensive position by having them create a lot of the offense with talented speedsters on every pairing from the back end. I believe focusing on that and putting our money in what just won is the cup is the way to go.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Trade Girard for 2C. They won the cup without him.

Toews-Makar
Byram-Manson
JJ-EJ

That's the d core that won the cup

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: