GDT: Do or Die - Game 5 Avs @ Flames, 8:00 MT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Something needs to be changed and I don't think it's T.J. that's the problem.

Reactions: Janks

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
What hurts even more is how we never deserved to win this series.

To me, it doesnt hurt as much as losing the series thinking we could have won

We are not even close on this one....It's a "fair" loss....we can just laugh it off

Reactions: Lemonlimey

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
All the talk about our first line sucking is justified but can we talk about how garbage our norris candidate was too? Just atrocious gap control and defense on the rush, top guys completely laid an egg this playoffs

He was bad tbh. Andersson and Valimaki were the best dman in this series. Kinda good for the future, but damn that’s a bad look. And I hope people understand why I was skeptical on hamonic long term... he was outmatched all series. We can talk about Hanifin’s mistakes, but hammer is primed for a Karl alzner 2.0 situation. As much as I can’t stand Brodie at times, I choose to keep him.

Who would want him?

Lots of interest if we attach kylington and our first. Tre made his bed on this one.

You can cherry pick some actually middling examples all you want but the depth production was factually average as a whole, and the worst amongst elite teams. What's worse - it's actually one of the most expensive depth in the league.

Cough cough James Neal. Jankowski and Neal were the two weaknesses in our bottom 6 this year. Bennett was actually solid this year. That fourth line was also legit from the minute they were brought together. Advanced stat gods and the results backed it up. Ryan played closer to a low end second liner this year, he’s worth his money.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
This core has gotten progressively worse over three trips to the playoffs. Rough shit

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
This core has gotten progressively worse over three trips to the playoffs. Rough ****

How much of a “core” has stayed together? Look at the roster heading into the 2017 playoffs:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Versteeg-Bennett-Brouwer
Bouma-Stajan-Chiasson

Gio-Hamilton
Brodie-Stone
Barf (auto-correct got it right lol)-Engelland

How about 2015 (I can’t remember these line ups well, so I’ll use our playoff one with Giordano included):

Gaudreau-Monahan-Hudler
Bennett-Backlund-Colbourne
Ferland-Stajan-Jones
Bollig-Jooris-Raymond

Giordano-Brodie
Russell-Wideman
Schlemko/Diaz/Wotherspoon-Engelland

6 new forwards and 4 new dman. It’s an entirely different team, and this is only over two season. 2015 is even more significant. I’d say frolik and or stone are likely gone as well after this year. Maybe give our guys more than one year to prove themselves?

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
tenor.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

tenor.gif

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

bladewatcher

Apr 7, 2019
I was disgusted enough going into this game. Rationalized what 'could have been' re. OT losses, etc., but nonetheless shocked at the them deserving where they were at based on play in the series. To lose so gutlessly tonight, at home..... This series takes so much away from what had been one of the most fun seasons in decades. I thought they had come much further in the area of mental toughness - now - not at all sure and must question so much of the character (or lack thereof) in that room.
  • Top line MIA (continued)
  • PP unreliable
  • PK putrid (who decided it would be a good idea to go back to the ol' passive-box PK style? GREAT idea in a series where puck possession problems were shocking)
  • Awesome, break out / transition defence .....?
  • 3rd period powerhouse? Not when required...
  • Resilient. Well....in the reg. season perhaps - this squad appeared shell-shocked very early on.
  • Well-coached? Where were effective adjustments? Here's one my kids would have made - drop the inexplicable passive PK style.... Most of this on players, however.
EPIC CHOKE. And this fan (since 1980) is some choked.

Hope Brad Treliving has some great ideas this summer, as we have little choice but to reconsider the ingredients of the current Flames recipe.

Thanks to all who gave their all.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
In 20 career Playoff games, Gaudreau has 2 goals + 2 assists for 4 points 5v5.

In 20 career Playoff games, Monahan has 3 goals + 0 assists for 3 points 5v5.

That is like... really, really, really bad.

Oof.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I said Mark Jankowski would be a much better player than he is by now, and for that reason I am closing my HFboards account. Soon as I can figure out how.

As my last post, here are the things I believe:

1) TJ Brodie is one of the best players on the Calgary Flames, and a player you win with. It would be a mistake for Calgary to trade him away.

2) Oliver Kylington is going to be a star player in the NHL, and not playing him in the playoffs was a mistake

3) While the Flames deserve some blame for this series, that shouldn't absolve the officiating. In a world where officiating was half decent we are probably in a 2-2 tied series and heading back to Colorado after tonight's loss

4) For the most part, Calgary didn't play bad tonight. This was the only game in the series where they played Flames hockey. The Hanifin-Hamonic pair was a liability and that needs to be addressed, but on a whole I am fine losing the way we did tonight.

5) As choked as I am right now, remember, we got to watch five more games this season than Oilers fans. f*** the Oilers.

6) Sean Monahan is not a number one center. He's not even a number two center. He's... just not a center. Move him to wing, even if it's Backlund's wing.

7) Backlund didn't have the best series ever but I still believe in him. He will come back even better next year. He is, unlike Sean Monahan, a center who belongs on the top six of a playoff team.

8) Matthew Tkachuk is only 21. He will be better next year. The Flames need to work with him and a few other guys on skating.

9) Andrew Mangiapane has a very bright future ahead. He will be a top six forward next year.

10) Johnny Gaudreau is still a superstar. I admit, he's not as good as Nathan MacKinnon, but that's not a knock on him. My dream as a fan remains to get him a Jack Eichel calibre linemate to play with.

11) We should still enjoy this regular season. Mark Giordano might win the Norris and that's something that our team has never got to enjoy.

12) To this day, I contend that waiving Paul Byron broke this team. It broke their identity. It took away one a player who could make a breakaway out of nothing, an elite PKer, a waterbug who exemplified leadership, who was the fastest skater on the ice all 200 feet, who was the first to throw a big hit but the smallest guy out there. We're still suffering a curse from waiving him because we haven't filled that void, not truly.

13) Sam Bennett is a Number One Center. He's not perfect, and the team could stand to work on some things with him (maybe get him a slightly flexier stick that lets him get his wrister off quicker?). But if the Flames do not utilize him as the player that he is and continue to misuse him as a 3LW, they are writing their own demise. There's so much to love in this kid, and if my legacy on CFHF is that of someone who never stopped believing in his talent, his complete game, and his ability to dominate, so be it. I have never been frustrated by this player, even when he gets called on chintzy penalties or goes long stretches without scoring because those are things I know are not his own fault. But no, Sam Bennett is not Nathan MacKinnon. We'll never have that kind of talent on our roster without tanking for it. But if we utilize him, I believe we can win a Stanley Cup with him. And if Giordano isn't wearing the C at that time, it should be Sam Bennett as the next captain of the Calgary Flames.

Peace, signed OvermanKingGainer

Last edited:

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I said Mark Jankowski would be a much better player than he is by now, and for that reason I am closing my HFboards account. Soon as I can figure out how.

1) TJ Brodie is one of the best players on the Calgary Flames, and a player you win with. It would be a mistake for Calgary to trade him away.

2) Oliver Kylington is going to be a star player in the NHL, and not playing him in the playoffs was a mistake

3) While the Flames deserve some blame for this series, that shouldn't absolve the officiating. In a world where officiating was half decent we are probably in a 2-2 tied series and heading back to Colorado after tonight's loss

4) For the most part, Calgary didn't play bad tonight. This was the only game in the series where they played Flames hockey. The Hanifin-Hamonic pair was a liability and that needs to be addressed, but on a whole I am fine losing the way we did tonight.

5) As choked as I am right now, remember, we got to watch five more games this season than Oilers fans. **** the Oilers.

6) Sean Monahan is not a number one center. He's not even a number two center. He's... just not a center. Move him to wing, even if it's Backlund's wing.

7) Backlund didn't have the best series ever but I still believe in him. He will come back even better next year. He is, unlike Sean Monahan, a center who belongs on the top six of a playoff team.

8) Matthew Tkachuk is only 21. He will be better next year. The Flames need to work with him and a few other guys on skating.

9) Andrew Mangiapane has a very bright future ahead. He will be a top six forward next year.

10) Johnny Gaudreau is still a superstar. I admit, he's not as good as Nathan MacKinnon, but that's not a knock on him. My dream as a fan remains to get him a Jack Eichel calibre linemate to play with.

11) We should still enjoy this regular season. Mark Giordano might win the Norris and that's something that our team has never got to enjoy.

12) Sam Bennett is a Number One Center. He's not perfect, and the team could stand to work on some things with him (maybe get him a slightly flexier stick that lets him get his wrister off quicker?). But if the Flames do not utilize him as the player that he is and continue to misuse him as a 3LW, they are writing their own demise. There's so much to love in this kid, and if my legacy on CFHF is that of someone who never stopped believing in his talent, his complete game, and his ability to dominate, so be it. I have never been frustrated by this player, even when he gets called on chintzy penalties or goes long stretches without scoring because those are things I know are not his own fault. But no, Sam Bennett is not Nathan MacKinnon. We'll never have that kind of talent on our roster without tanking for it. But if we utilize him, I believe we can win a Stanley Cup with him. And if Giordano isn't wearing the C at that time, it should be Sam Bennett as the next captain of the Calgary Flames.

Some awful takes here. Oh well, your never changing anyway. Peace out man :)

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Probably won't be posting much until the draft, but good season everyone. Hopefully we have more fun next season, but I just can't right now. Every thing annoys me, reffing, Flames, Mike Smith actually showing up and then just wasting it, posters annoy me with the negativity (I get it just don't need to be around all of it and I know I contribute to a bunch of it as well).

All I can do now is laugh it off.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary

5) As choked as I am right now, remember, we got to watch five more games this season than Oilers fans. **** the Oilers.

12) To this day, I contend that waiving Paul Byron broke this team. It broke their identity. It took away one a player who could make a breakaway out of nothing, an elite PKer, a waterbug who exemplified leadership, who was the fastest skater on the ice all 200 feet, who was the first to throw a big hit but the smallest guy out there. We're still suffering a curse from waiving him because we haven't filled that void, not truly.

13) Sam Bennett is a Number One Center. He's not perfect, and the team could stand to work on some things with him (maybe get him a slightly flexier stick that lets him get his wrister off quicker?). But if the Flames do not utilize him as the player that he is and continue to misuse him as a 3LW, they are writing their own demise. There's so much to love in this kid, and if my legacy on CFHF is that of someone who never stopped believing in his talent, his complete game, and his ability to dominate, so be it. I have never been frustrated by this player, even when he gets called on chintzy penalties or goes long stretches without scoring because those are things I know are not his own fault. But no, Sam Bennett is not Nathan MacKinnon. We'll never have that kind of talent on our roster without tanking for it. But if we utilize him, I believe we can win a Stanley Cup with him. And if Giordano isn't wearing the C at that time, it should be Sam Bennett as the next captain of the Calgary Flames.

If this is your last post forever, thanks OKG for all your posts. While some people won’t agree with you on everything, I think we all appreciate the passion you brought to the board. Thank you for being a proponent of the whipping boys, even when it wasn’t popular and seeing the positives in a player when they’re struggling.

I really appreciated your views and what you brought to this board.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
OKG has some hilarious takes that I may not agree him, but I still appreciate his input unlike some other boner fans on this board. Just come back next season bruv.

Reactions: BigFuzzyDice

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Canucks fan here.. was actually rooting for you guys, disappointing end but still a great season with some positives to build upon. The flames actually made the playoffs not sure what the Oilers fans are babbling about they’re the real embarrassment.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Blues fan offering condolences.

Not even close to what you envisioned I'm sure but I wanted to tell you I thought the Flames showed some very serious potential this season that should leave you feeling good about what could be with the right adjustments whether it's coaching, systems, personnel etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad