OT: Do NOT shout out "TRUE NORTH" during anthem

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
"TRUE NORTH" is a homage to bringing an NHL team back to Winnipeg, keeping it here, and the fans supporting that in and of itself. It transcends the day to day bickering about team performance.

Look, I'm disgruntled too. But if your loyalty is tied to wins and losses then just stop coming until you're happy enough to. Suck up your pride and admit to being a fair-weather fan. There's really no shame in that.

I'm not directing "you" or "your" at anyone in particular here.

Loyalty isn't tied to wins and losses - those are incidental.

Loyalty is tied to seeing the organization at least trying to improve the win-loss record. Shelling out $10,000 + a year for a pair is a major commitment. When that kind of investment is rewarded with managerial indifference any grievances are legitimate and just.

TN hasn't even made the easy moves; they've left the low hanging fruit on the tree. Goaltending? Still a sore spot. LD? Nada. Special teams? Still more like Special Needs Teams.

If True North doesn't care enough about the team to at least take steps to make it competitive (when doing so would increase their bottom line) then why do they expect fans to care enough to continue to pour in tens of thousands of dollars?

Charging near league-high prices for a perennial basement dwelling team isn't a long term plan for success.

m.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
This thread is ridiculous. How about a dose of ****ing context on why we yell True North at the anthem...

I was 15 when Jets 1.0 left for Phoenix. It was devastating to me as a young hockey fan. And EVERYONE assumed that NHL hockey was gone forever. Winnipeg was too small and too poor.

Then TN brought pro hockey (in the form of the Moose) to Winnipeg, they got the MTS Centre built, and over the years, they schmoozed with all the right people, and did all the right things, properly and patiently. They actually brought an NHL team back to Winnipeg. They did what many said was impossible.

Little ol Winnipeg, back in the big leagues. We got our team before Vegas and Kansas City, before Hamilton (remember Jim Balsillie?) and Toronto 2, and Quebec. They effing pulled it off. After over a decade of stagnation in expansion and relocations - WE were first. Go back and read some threads back in 2007 and 2008 in the BoH sub forum. Those that were hopeful the Jets were coming back were the "crazies" or the "Jetties"... If you were on the Jets Owner forum back then --where this anthem-shout-out tradition started-- you clung onto any shred of news about the subject. And while everyone was arguing about whether Winnipeg could support a team or not, or whether there was enough corporate support, or whether the MTS centre was big enough for the NHL, Chipman was working quietly to make it a reality.

They made MY dream a reality. The Jets could be in last place right now - of course I'd be disappointed, but I'd still yell TRUE NORTH. And as long as the Jets are here, I'm not gonna stop.

I was 8 years old, but this basically sums it up for me.

**** on the people who think True North owes them anything. Stop watching, buying tickets, etc I don't care.

Nothing wrong with not shouting True North either. But it shows how entitled OP thinks he is, to think that everyone should do the same. So it's not just him doing it in vain lol

Will always love the Jets, even if they suck.

Sixty Minute Man

Apr 13, 2013
Winnipeg, Mb
I sure hope people aren't so blindly loyal to the Jets that they continue to yell "TRUE NORTH" during the national anthem. It's become an embarrassment. Chipman would like to win, but it's clear he is not prepared to open his wallet, and acquire the management personnel, defensemen, or veteran goalie that could kick start the Jets fortunes.

Let's [mod] stop giving a shout out to an organization that gouges fans annually, and isn't prepared to put on a competitive team on the ice. There is no way in hell we should be behind Calgary or Vancouver. Please, DO NOT shout out "True North" during the anthem.

How is this clear? Everything he's ever said suggests the opposite.

Sixty Minute Man

Apr 13, 2013
Winnipeg, Mb
I for one will now shout it out louder on Friday. IMO giving homage to True North for bringing back the NHL to Winnipeg is a very different matter then the current struggles of our team. Teams will rise and fall over time and I can live with that. This is our last shot at NHL hockey and I will always feel a debt of gratitude to Chipman for that. When we got the team back I promised myself I would fully support the team no matter what happened. I have no intention on going back on that in year 6.

Beautifully said KB. I'm with you. I'm so committed to this team. Sure they **** me off all the time ,but I only get angry about stuff that I'm passionate about.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
This thread is ridiculous. How about a dose of ****ing context on why we yell True North at the anthem...

I was 15 when Jets 1.0 left for Phoenix. It was devastating to me as a young hockey fan. And EVERYONE assumed that NHL hockey was gone forever. Winnipeg was too small and too poor.

Then TN brought pro hockey (in the form of the Moose) to Winnipeg, they got the MTS Centre built, and over the years, they schmoozed with all the right people, and did all the right things, properly and patiently. They actually brought an NHL team back to Winnipeg. They did what many said was impossible.

Little ol Winnipeg, back in the big leagues. We got our team before Vegas and Kansas City, before Hamilton (remember Jim Balsillie?) and Toronto 2, and Quebec. They effing pulled it off. After over a decade of stagnation in expansion and relocations - WE were first. Go back and read some threads back in 2007 and 2008 in the BoH sub forum. Those that were hopeful the Jets were coming back were the "crazies" or the "Jetties"... If you were on the Jets Owner forum back then --where this anthem-shout-out tradition started-- you clung onto any shred of news about the subject. And while everyone was arguing about whether Winnipeg could support a team or not, or whether there was enough corporate support, or whether the MTS centre was big enough for the NHL, Chipman was working quietly to make it a reality.

They made MY dream a reality. The Jets could be in last place right now - of course I'd be disappointed, but I'd still yell TRUE NORTH. And as long as the Jets are here, I'm not gonna stop.

I understand all that. Although I take a different view. Perhaps I'm a bad fan but I hate losing. When I heard the team was coming back it was a feeling of guarded optimism. I only wanted to be part of this if they were going to make a legitimate attempt to win a title. Jets 1.0 was never going to do that, and I expect this re-incarnation to be different.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
I printed out this post so I could have some reading material.

I now sit in the smallest room in the house, and your words are before me.

Very soon, they will be behind me.

:handclap:

The real solution to this problem is to take national anthems out of non-international matches. ;)
But honestly if anyone's worried about how the chant "looks", no one outside of Winnipeg cares and sees it as either a cool Canada pride thing with perhaps a few more educated fans aware of the name of the company that brought the team back. In terms of fan satisfaction I'm sure TNSE have far more reliable metrics to count on.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Loyalty isn't tied to wins and losses - those are incidental.

Loyalty is tied to seeing the organization at least trying to improve the win-loss record. Shelling out $10,000 + a year for a pair is a major commitment. When that kind of investment is rewarded with managerial indifference any grievances are legitimate and just.

TN hasn't even made the easy moves; they've left the low hanging fruit on the tree. Goaltending? Still a sore spot. LD? Nada. Special teams? Still more like Special Needs Teams.

If True North doesn't care enough about the team to at least take steps to make it competitive (when doing so would increase their bottom line) then why do they expect fans to care enough to continue to pour in tens of thousands of dollars?

Charging near league-high prices for a perennial basement dwelling team isn't a long term plan for success.

m.

Bang on post. I think some of the discussion in this thread is due in part to the frustration and dissatisfaction that the ticket buying public and in particular season ticket holders are feeling.

I am personally locked into a roughly $39 000 TPA after already completing a $38 000 TPA.

It doesn't matter what garbage is thrown out onto the ice as 13 000 fans are "locked in". I see the argument regarding the shout out and see it more as the ticket buying public wanting a voice even if that voice is silence in order to be heard.

What is a STH recourse if you don't like the product or direction? If you were a STH from day 1 the solution is for P1 and P2 it is to not renew 4 years from now! For P3 and P4 it is to not renew 3 years from now. I can see why there is no urgency to fix the on ice dumpster fire that started as a small smoulder and has now been burning strong for six season. TNSE have all the "big money" locked up and know it.

The fact that special teams remain terrible, we have been trotting Pavs out as a starter and Stu and Thorburn have actually been playing in regular season NHL hockey games six years in speaks volumes of the absolute lack of accountability within the organization.

I have all 4 of my seats for the Hawks game Friday night and will be taking the wife and in laws to the game. I don't mind spending $400+ to go to a hockey game if the on ice the product is good and the GM has been addressing team weaknesses. However, it is just the same old song and dance my friend.

Signed,
BFSTH
Beyond Frustrated Season Ticket Holder

HalfWallWheeler*

Jan 16, 2017
yelling true north started as a thank you for bringing back the jets now i think its mostly just a roll call thing and i love hearing it when we play away on tv. has nothing to do with the corporate aspect

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
yelling true north started as a thank you for bringing back the jets now i think its mostly just a roll call thing and i love hearing it when we play away on tv. has nothing to do with the corporate aspect

Who is the corporation that owns the Jets?

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
Don't tell me what I can or can't do when attending Jets games. [mod] If somehow everyone on this board that attends Jets games decided to follow this directive it wouldn't make even a lick of difference in the volume of the True North shoutout. A person can be unhappy with the team and still follow this tradition you know.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Typical thread between the pro and con TNSE fans. Both make their opinionated posts filled with emotion and believe they 100% correct. Both sides make equally comical comments and fair points. This will continue to happen until the team shows real improvement in standings.....which is likely logical & fair response. Six years down.....looking towards year 7 and maybe some improvement.

Ugh.....

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
I don't have season tickets but if I was spending that much disposable income on the Jets, I would want my voice to heard somehow. Seeing as true north does not "permit" freedom of the press with the media that covers them, then there is no voice to convey the feelings of the fan base. Refusing to to shout "true north" is a fair and honest medium for fans to be express their feelings.

Give me a break with TNSE not allowing freedom of the press garbage it is utter BS . If you disagree with the slant the media takes, it could just mean that's how they really feel and they may just be kinda dumb on their own and not taking directive from TNSE.

Last edited:

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Typical thread between the pro and con TNSE fans. Both make their opinionated posts filled with emotion and believe they 100% correct. Both sides make equally comical comments and fair points. This will continue to happen until the team shows real improvement in standings.....which is likely logical & fair response. Six years down.....looking towards year 7 and maybe some improvement.

Ugh.....

It will never end. Even if the Jets win the cup

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB

I like the cut of your jib. 100% support what we have.
Improvements would be nice but not saying true north in the anthem is not going to change a thing lol.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
I sure hope people aren't so blindly loyal to the Jets that they continue to yell "TRUE NORTH" during the national anthem. It's become an embarrassment. Chipman would like to win, but it's clear he is not prepared to open his wallet, and acquire the management personnel, defensemen, or veteran goalie that could kick start the Jets fortunes.

Let's [mod] stop giving a shout out to an organization that gouges fans annually, and isn't prepared to put on a competitive team on the ice. There is no way in hell we should be behind Calgary or Vancouver. Please, DO NOT shout out "True North" during the anthem.

How is this going to make any difference? There are many fans (myself included) that don't yell it, and wouldn't yell it if they were cup contenders. Still others who will yell it even if they are completely fed up with the organization.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Give me a break with TNSE not allowing freedom of the press garbage it is utter BS .

Of course it is freedom of press. However, if media members run afoul of NHL organizations or the league itself those members will no longer be fed "insider info". Some media members have mentioned calls from Scott Brown when running afoul from the Jets and directly from Bill Daly when running afoul from the league. Take it for what its worth.

What happened to Al Strachan after being the 1st to break the news of Atlanta to Winnipeg back in 2009?

Any media members "travelling" with the team will not be providing objective media perspectives. Sharing taxis to hotels with players does not bode well for objective perspectives.

As for the True North shout out. Cheering from the press box is forbidden so the silent treatment upstairs will not change things.

Fans can do whatever they do or don't want to do contained within the Winnipeg Jets fan code of conduct. I have been boooing rather than stuuuuing since year 2.:naughty:

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
This is a legit good idea. I might even start shouting it randomly at work.

"TRUE NORTH" isn't about what the OP makes it out to be. At least not to me. It's more about the fun of the whole event. But then, as passionate about hockey as I am, it is not the most important thing in my life. I mean, I'm not losing sleep over this ****. Is anyone here actually that invested?

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
If you're unhappy with management or the product, your recourse is pretty straightforward: stop giving them money.

If TNSE tried to sue someone for backing out of their TPA, they'd garner terrible publicity. Hell, I honestly doubt they'd even get an award in small claims court. :dunno:

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
It will never end. Even if the Jets win the cup

I haven't followed this thread all day, partly intentionally and partly just too busy so I haven't read many of the posts.

But come on AC while you may not agree with the "cons" opinion surely you have to aknowledge they have some very valid points. Six years and the team has shown zero improvement where it counts, not to mention many extremely puzzling management/coaching decisions over the years. Once this team shows real improvements I'm very confident we will see far fewer "cons" fans but to date there is very little hard improvements in six years. Soft improvements/potential mean little until or if they turn into hard improvements/results.

For the record I've always considered myself neither a con or pro type of fan......I try to look at both sides POV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad