OT: Do NOT shout out "TRUE NORTH" during anthem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
If you're unhappy with management or the product, your recourse is pretty straightforward: stop giving them money.

If TNSE tried to sue someone for backing out of their TPA, they'd garner terrible publicity. Hell, I honestly doubt they'd even get an award in small claims court. :dunno:

Not spending money on their products is one opinion. Of course if you spend money on their products you have every right to express your displeasure how ever you like, within the law of course.

Boo fine

Throw jersey on ice, fine

Do what you like, as a fan it's your right (within the law).

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Not spending money on their products is one opinion. Of course if you spend money on their products you have every right to express your displeasure how ever you like, within the law of course.

Boo fine

Throw jersey on ice, fine

Do what you like, as a fan it's your right (within the law).

Against the rules.

Fans may not engage in fighting, throwing objects or other behaviour deemed detrimental to the experience of other guests. Those who engage in any of these actions will immediately be ejected from the game.

https://www.nhl.com/jets/tickets/fancode

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011

I know it's not allowed, but nothing legal would likely be done. I meant anything really bad, illegal types of things. Jersey throwing is nothing big imo, burn the jersey in front of the arena if a person likes.

My point is i don't really care, i also defend fans rights to express themselves in a non harmful way.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
I know it's not allowed, but nothing legal would likely be done. I meant anything really bad, illegal types of things. Jersey throwing is nothing big imo, burn the jersey in front of the arena if a person likes.

My point is i don't really care, i also defend fans rights to express themselves in a non harmful way.

OK - I see your point.

Angry crowds gathering outside MTSC burning Jets flags and alternately chanting "Fire Chevy" "Fire Maurice" while burning old Jets programs in a big bonfire filled with Buff bobbleheads and Pavelec jerseys. While inside MTSC Laine sits stapled to the bench, Stafford eats up 25+ minutes of ice while the Jets lose 5-1 and Chevy explains to the media its all a process and Maurice calmly proclaims he is still evaluating the defense so he can further evaluate Pavelec. Sounds fun and a lot more exciting than the silent treatment of the True North shout out. I'll bring a bobblehead!

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
OK - I see your point.

Angry crowds gathering outside MTSC burning Jets flags and alternately chanting "Fire Chevy" "Fire Maurice" while burning old Jets programs in a big bonfire filled with Buff bobbleheads and Pavelec jerseys. While inside MTSC Laine sits stapled to the bench, Stafford eats up 25+ minutes of ice while the Jets lose 5-1 and Chevy explains to the media its all a process and Maurice calmly proclaims he is still evaluating the defense so he can further evaluate Pavelec. Sounds fun and a lot more exciting than the silent treatment of the True North shout out. I'll bring a bobblehead!

That would be funny to see. I'll throw my old Pavs bubble head on the pile.

While I personally do feel some gratitude towards Chipman for bringing the nhl back, make no mistake here, he's not doing for charity. He's profiting big time. While the team doesn't bring in massive truck loads of profit (but i'm sure he's making a fair bit, some is also reinvested) the teams value has significantly increased over the six years. As a business and fans who buy a product we have the right to express our displeasure over the product if it doesn't seem like fair value. To-date i can't say i've gotten good value for the many 1000's of dollars i've invested in the team over six years. I'm not happy as a fan, my hope is the return on my investment finally starts paying off very soon.

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
I sure hope people aren't so blindly loyal to the Jets that they continue to yell "TRUE NORTH" during the national anthem. It's become an embarrassment. Chipman would like to win, but it's clear he is not prepared to open his wallet, and acquire the management personnel, defensemen, or veteran goalie that could kick start the Jets fortunes.

Let's [mod] stop giving a shout out to an organization that gouges fans annually, and isn't prepared to put on a competitive team on the ice. There is no way in hell we should be behind Calgary or Vancouver. Please, DO NOT shout out "True North" during the anthem.

This is absolutely disgusting. Where do you get off telling people how they should or shouldn't cheer?

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Is burningn a jersey at portage and main illegal? The symbolism...

Nope, sounds like Winnipeg's finest would even clear a path down the to MTSC for the disgruntled group of fans.:naughty:

Protesters in Winnipeg, angered by a clash with police at a protest in New Brunswick, tied up traffic in the city’s famous Portage and Main intersection and burned a Canadian flag late Thursday.

Dozens marched from the Forks and formed a circle at Portage Avenue and Main Street shortly after 5 p.m.

Winnipeg police appeared to be clearing the way for the march, blocking traffic along the way; more than a dozen cruisers were posted around the Portage and Main intersection, keeping the rush-hour traffic at bay and causing vehicles to back up a great distance. The Winnipeg protest was peaceful but protesters burned a Canadian flag at Portage and Main before continuing west on Portage Avenue.

http://globalnews.ca/news/909350/protesters-block-traffic-burn-flag/

Count me out but it would give a new meaning to fueled by passion.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
This is absolutely disgusting. Where do you get off telling people how they should or shouldn't cheer?

This is a call for a protest, nothing more. People have been doing that for ages, for causes that range from important to trivial. In this case, the latter. Where he gets off doing this falls under freedom of expression. You should not find that disgusting, even if you disagree with the sentiment expressed.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I have never shouted out "True North" and I never will, but if others want to, knock your socks off... makes no difference to me. Shout out whatever you want as long as it is not offensive.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
In other words, you are one to just let things stay as is, without complaining. After six years without a playoff win. After we fill the cup boards full of prospects, and look good on paper, yet are actually worse than the Thrashers were in their last years. You don't see any problem with that??

Maybe you have never heard of a city called "Edmonton, Alberta." Let me tell you about Edmonton. The fans tolerated a rebuild after Pronger left town. However, after Katz bought the team, the Oilers took a nosedive to the bottom of the standings. After a couple of years, fans started writing about their displeasure in blogs and forums, kind of like what has happened for the past year in Winnipeg.

By 2014, after three 1st round draft picks, and the Oilers still stuck in the basement, people in Edmonton took it to another level, all around the city, it seemed you could not go anywhere without visual signs of fans displeasure with the organization. "How Lowe can we go?" billboards, bumper stickers, neon signs, etc. were abundant in the city. Hundreds of fans waited outside the dressing room to boo the team after losses. It became known as the "walk of shame." Nobody wanted to play in Edmonton, not even Dany Heatley.

Changes were finally made in 2015, after the organization finally got the message that there was a fan revolt in progress. With True North like measures implemented for the first time in Oilers history. Throwing jerseys was one thing, but banning fans for the season for signs critical of the organization? Having said that, the Oilers revamped the management, increasing it in all area, hiring a new GM, and other talent.

The franchise lucked out with the 2015 draft, but it took ten long years for the Oilers to return to glory. Now people are once again excited, and Oilers tickets are once again a hot item. Right now the Jets are on year six of mediocrity. Do we really want to wait four more years to turn the club around, into a perennial playoff contender? I sure do not.

It's interesting that you mock people who are critical of True North. Should we still argue in 10 years to shut up and be glad True North brought back the Jets, if the stink on the ice? IMO, its clear that the organization is dysfunctional, and there are plenty of examples (loyalty to a fault, too frugal to pick up a defensive depth, veteran backup, etc). Edmonton is the most similar franchise to Winnipeg. Both are blue collar, small market, working class towns. Yet, you expect people in Winnipeg to react differently than they do in Edmonton, when the team misses the playoffs 5 of 6 years, and is falling fast? Weird.

Overreacting a tad?

First off, your suffering as a disgruntled sports fan for a whopping 5 and a half seasons, is a joke compared to what some other fanbases have had to endure.

Secondly, as a fan, you are not guaranteed success within a time frame, that is based on your patience, and act as though you are owed it. There are no guarantees in sports, none. Some things work, some things don't.

And where did I say, lets not be critical of this team? Just because I think your suggestion is silly does not mean I believe this organization is above criticism.

There is no constructed criticism in your suggestion, and why would we want to take away the crowds chant and remove the boost it gives to the barn, before puck drop? So you can tell Chipman that you are a hard done by, disgruntled and impatient fan that deserves better? That your whopping 5 and a half seasons of insufferable misery is an injustice.

If you think this organization's primary goal is not to build a winning team that can compete for a cup, based off 6 sub par seasons, that's your prerogative. From what I have heard from those in the know, Chipman is obsessed with winning a cup, and dedicated to the process he believes will get us there.

You not yelling True North does nothing to influence this, rather just a self serving tactic to show them your impatience with his process.

Do you think the fans forced Katz to turn the Oilers into a winner? That because some fans wrote in or blogged or posted on a forum that he decided to go out and hire Chiarelli, change his coach and make a concerted effort to get better?

That's a funny narrative.That now they get a new gm and coach, along with lucking into a generational talent, it shows Katz is finally listening to the fans?

Katz had been trying to win since he bought the team several years ago, it takes that long, it takes luck, and it takes patience. The fans angst did absolutely, positively nothing to influence that, as would your suggestion.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Overreacting a tad?

First off, your suffering as a disgruntled sports fan for a whopping 5 and a half seasons, is a joke compared to what some other fanbases have had to endure.

Secondly, as a fan, you are not guaranteed success within a time frame, that is based on your patience, and act as though you are owed it. There are no guarantees in sports, none. Some things work, some things don't.

And where did I say, lets not be critical of this team? Just because I think your suggestion is silly does not mean I believe this organization is above criticism.

There is no constructed criticism in your suggestion, and why would we want to take away the crowds chant and remove the boost it gives to the barn, before puck drop? So you can tell Chipman that you are a hard done by, disgruntled and impatient fan that deserves better? That your whopping 5 and a half seasons of insufferable misery is an injustice.

If you think this organization's primary goal is not to build a winning team that can compete for a cup, based off 6 sub par seasons, that's your prerogative. From what I have heard from those in the know, Chipman is obsessed with winning a cup, and dedicated to the process he believes will get us there.

You not yelling True North does nothing to influence this, rather just a self serving tactic to show them your impatience with his process.

Do you think the fans forced Katz to turn the Oilers into a winner? That because some fans wrote in or blogged or posted on a forum that he decided to go out and hire Chiarelli, change his coach and make a concerted effort to get better?

That's a funny narrative.That now they get a new gm and coach, along with lucking into a generational talent, it shows Katz is finally listening to the fans?

Katz had been trying to win since he bought the team several years ago, it takes that long, it takes luck, and it takes patience. The fans angst did absolutely, positively nothing to influence that, as would your suggestion.

While I do agree that boycotting a harmless gesture is pointless.
I would say to those who are in the know or not... Chipman wanting to win and knowing how to win are not mutually inclusive.
Chipman is no doubt a great business man , it doesn't make him a great hockey mind.
I think he surrounded himself with people he is comfortable with and is willing to ride it out with them out of a genuine loyalty which is admirable and honourable.
I think he needs to likely start looking for people not so close to this city or organization or their respective histories.
He needs an unbiased view with people who aren't yes men.
Until then we struggle

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I haven't followed this thread all day, partly intentionally and partly just too busy so I haven't read many of the posts.

But come on AC while you may not agree with the "cons" opinion surely you have to aknowledge they have some very valid points. Six years and the team has shown zero improvement where it counts, not to mention many extremely puzzling management/coaching decisions over the years. Once this team shows real improvements I'm very confident we will see far fewer "cons" fans but to date there is very little hard improvements in six years. Soft improvements/potential mean little until or if they turn into hard improvements/results.

For the record I've always considered myself neither a con or pro type of fan......I try to look at both sides POV.

In the context of this thread there are no valid points from the OP's position.

Yelling "true north" is not me endorsing a corporate entity. It's me enjoying myself. Norhing more, nothing less. I love hearing it. Niw that I live in a different city I love yelling it and watching the fan reaction around me.

It is not an endorsement of an corporate culture in any way whatsoever.

I disagree 100% with the other opinion

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Overreacting a tad?

Once Katz stepped back and held those in the organization accountable things changed. Yes, #97 helped.

The issue with Katz’s Oilers is accountability, something that many fans and observers of the team have previously identified.

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/h...tability-a-core-value-for-the-edmonton-oilers

Oilers Entertainment Group vice-president and chief operating officer Bob Nicholson was on Oilers Now on Thursday talking about the key issue for the Edmonton Oilers in the Daryl Katz era, accountability in hockey operations. It’s something that has been lacking, as I explored in posts here, here and here.

The major findings of this series of posts? a) under Katz, the Oilers were inexperienced at the top from the start, with a new owner in Katz, a new director of hockey ops in Kevin Lowe and a new GM in Steve Tambellini, then in Craig MacTavish, all of them doing their jobs for the first time

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/h...-how-much-do-the-oilers-need-to-win-this-year

I am all for freedom of expression from the fans of the Jets. What ever makes people happy.

Deif

Sep 20, 2014

Yelling "true north" is not me endorsing a corporate entity. It's me enjoying myself. Norhing more, nothing less. I love hearing it. Niw that I live in a different city I love yelling it and watching the fan reaction around me.

You don't see how yelling True North during the anthem (as, TNSE brought the Jets back to Winnipeg) can be portrayed as a corporate endorsement? If it has no meaning and is just you yelling during the anthem why not yell other words like FREE or NATIVE?
I honestly don't see how anyone could not see the connection between people yelling TRUE NORTH during the anthem and TRUE NORTH SPORTS AND ENTERTAINMENT bringing the Jets back to Winnipeg.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada

Some may not view it as an endorsement of a corporate entity but it was born out of the ideas of fans on message boards to salute True North Sports and Entertainment for purchasing the Atlanta Thrashers and returning NHL hockey to Winnipeg. There were very few of us participating in the salute to True North Sports and Entertainment at the 1st exhibition game against Columbus in 2011. Once the ball got rolling the rest became history including an individual seeking media attention claiming it was his idea. All good times.:laugh:

Deif

Sep 20, 2014
Some may not view it as an endorsement of a corporate entity but it was born out of the ideas of fans on message boards to salute True North Sports and Entertainment for purchasing the Atlanta Thrashers and returning NHL hockey to Winnipeg. There were very few of us participating in the salute to True North Sports and Entertainment at the 1st exhibition game against Columbus in 2011. Once the ball got rolling the rest became history including an individual seeking media attention claiming it was his idea. All good times.:laugh:

Right. There are articles back from when it first started saying that it was started as a salute to True North Sports and Entertainment. It's 100% a True North endorsement. I don't see how it could be perceived any other way.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
You don't see how yelling True North during the anthem (as, TNSE brought the Jets back to Winnipeg) can be portrayed as a corporate endorsement? If it has no meaning and is just you yelling during the anthem why not yell other words like FREE or NATIVE?

For me It's a sign of appreciation to the group that brought them back nothing more. I chant it but don't particularly care for how this year has gone. Like an other poster stated I'll raise my concerns in the season seat survey.

If some fans want to protest they are more than welcome to. I just have a hard time understanding how tossing away an expensive jersey solves anything other than putting that person out cash. There are other ways. They have various social media platforms that can be used to get your point across.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Some of you really need to stop acting like TNSE is doing you guys a charity by running the Jets. The people who go to Jets games pay top dollar for tickets, from what I've read prices for concessions beers etc are through the roof. Additionally TNSE gets millions in tax breaks from the government. They get their new projects approved with govt funding. By all accounts it sounds like TNSE pretty much owns the city of Winnipeg. They are being compensated just fine for their troubles. The idea that TNSE is untouchable and no one should do anything to offend them is frankly ridiculous and I'm alarmed by the amount of people in this thread giving OP grief and being offended on behalf of a corporation. The guy/girl just suggested that the fans at the game don't do what is an obvious salute to the ownership as a protest and so many of you jumped on him/her like they suggested something blasphemous. People getting offended on behalf of a corporation for someone saying not to give them a shout out? Sounds like something from a dystopian Wachowskis' movie

To the OP, protests are supposed to get attention, being one of the few people staying silent does the opposite of that. Putting a paperbag on your head is a much more effective protest, you don't need 15000 to cooperate with you to pull it off ;)

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011

I have no opinion on the who shouting out TN or not, my opinion is fans have a right to express their opinion or not in whatever means they like (legal means only).

The OP isn't so much about the shout out, it's about a fan trying to communicate or express his fustration and dissatisfaction to the Jets management over the current status of the team, specifically the complete lack of improvement in results over 5.5 seasons. IMO I couldn't care less about the shout out, but I do acknowledge he has a point.....about the lack of real improvement/results (no one can debate that fact, the results in the standings after 5.5 years don't lie or show any bias).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad