Do Jack for Hughes

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
A decade of suckage, and we'll be saved by one more high draft pick. Yeah, sure.

haha.... yeah.....

this team is so, so, SOOO, far from even competing most nights.... even if we fluked into the top-2, we aren't really going to be any better next year at all.... still cap strapped, still nobody on defence, still have a pathetically bad goalie signed to a monstrously terrible deal, and still have no secondary scoring .... and thats if we fluke out in the lottery.... the much more likely scenario is that we finish around 25th overall, pick a rather bad player 6th overall, and nothing changes at all

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I lost hope in a wildcard spot, but I don't live under the dilusion that one more high draft pick will make a difference. We need competent management much more than we need another high draft pick. Sure, theoretically a high pick is better than a low one, but if the potential benefits of the pick are squandered by poor management, there is hardly any reason to be excited by the outcome of the draft.

as long as the OBC is still in charge, the league could give us the #1 pick literally every year forever, and it wouldn't matter a lick... the OBC is cancer

fishcolator

Jan 1, 2019
A high pick would be nothing but a make-shift band-aid.
Oilers as of now are an open wound and will require a heavy duty surgery

Uindicator

Sep 27, 2010
I wonder if we could trade anything for another 1st round pick from the bottom dwellers excluding McD, Drai, and maybe Nuge.
Get rid of as many bad contracts and just play the kids coming up, Bouchard ,McLeod ,Yamo , Jones etc.
Then get a leader or two who’s not afraid to rip these guys a new one if they slack off.
Might as well start something new and hopefully build something from that, either way this team is screwed for 2-3 more years.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Meh. They would win this lottery. Just like they got the “privilege” of drafting Yakupov instead of MacKinnon the following year.

Connorrhea

Sep 17, 2005
Hitch calls out the team, McDavid calls them desperate and they pretty much play a typical Oiler game that shows no heart or desperation. One of Draisatl or McDavid provides offense while everyone else dumps, chases, does nothing in the neutral zone and show no emotion. I don't get why everyone loves Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, I think he is the most overrated player on this team, he never shows emotion, makes lots of mental mistakes and looks lazy on the rush and doesn't really create anything as #1 pick that is suppose to have vision and skill to make others better. Huge mistake to sign this guy to $6 million a year, they need to get rid of him along with Kassian and Khaira...don't know why everyone is in love with Khaira either, the guy is big and slow and can't finish, he doesn't fit in today's NHL. This guy has 3 goals this year and keeps getting 2nd and 3rd line minutes when he should always be on the 4th, better yet playing in the AHL. He has 15 goals in 146 career games!!!

I also want to call McDavid out for tip toing his way on the penalty shot, this is our captain who said they are the most desperate team in the league yet takes his sweet time like he's in a skills competition instead of skating fast and hard like he does in order to make Murray move. He showed no desperation in his attempt and goalies have seen him try to pull that move on before in shootouts so Murray just waited him out...come on captain, shows them something new! Not to mention his lazy penalty killing shows that this team knows it has no chance and doesn't want to play for an old yeller like Hitchock because his style doesn't work in today's NHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Messrules11

Connorrhea

Sep 17, 2005
They are either in the "Do Jack for Hughes" or do "Krap for Kakko"....I think they are hoping to get a shot at Kakko because he is a scoring winger and would continue their search for their next Jari Kurri so Katz can re-live the glory days.

Last edited:

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Dangling with a muffin of a shot is a recipe for more of what we've seen the past years. Stickhandling and passing, no shots on net until we lose the puck

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Hitch calls out the team, McDavid calls them desperate and they pretty much play a typical Oiler game that shows no heart or desperation. One of Draisatl or McDavid provides offense while everyone else dumps, chases, does nothing in the neutral zone and show no emotion. I don't get why everyone loves Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, I think he is the most overrated player on this team, he never shows emotion, makes lots of mental mistakes and looks lazy on the rush and doesn't really create anything as #1 pick that is suppose to have vision and skill to make others better. Huge mistake to sign this guy to $6 million a year, they need to get rid of him along with Kassian and Khaira...don't know why everyone is in love with Khaira either, the guy is big and slow and can't finish, he doesn't fit in today's NHL. This guy has 3 goals this year and keeps getting 2nd and 3rd line minutes when he should always be on the 4th, better yet playing in the AHL. He has 15 goals in 146 career games!!!

I also want to call McDavid out for tip toing his way on the penalty shot, this is our captain who said they are the most desperate team in the league yet takes his sweet time like he's in a skills competition instead of skating fast and hard like he does in order to make Murray move. He showed no desperation in his attempt and goalies have seen him try to pull that move on before in shootouts so Murray just waited him out...come on captain, shows them something new! Not to mention his lazy penalty killing shows that this team knows it has no chance and doesn't want to play for an old yeller like Hitchock because his style doesn't work in today's NHL.

That's a lot of words and almost everyone of them is wrong. Spectacular job.

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
Heh, I was just looking up the draft class last night to see what we have to look forward to. Doesn't seem like a very strong class, but really adding another decent forward prospect that can hopefully turn into a middle 6/top 6 winger is decent and adds to our current similar forward prospects. We need some good forwards to fill out the depth in the roster, its the main thing we're missing right now.

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
You guys got suckered into NAIL Y and will be suckered into Hughes...Enough with the over hyped Americans !!! (unless his name is mathews)

LOL even tsn tried to do Eichel Mcdavid...LOL TSN !!!!! tried to compare the 2 players.... LOL!!!!!!

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018

I can't figure out if you're trying to make some sort of satirical post, or you just don't understand hockey?

Reactions: B33K33PING

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
I wonder if we could trade anything for another 1st round pick from the bottom dwellers excluding McD, Drai, and maybe Nuge.
Get rid of as many bad contracts and just play the kids coming up, Bouchard ,McLeod ,Yamo , Jones etc.
Then get a leader or two who’s not afraid to rip these guys a new one if they slack off.
Might as well start something new and hopefully build something from that, either way this team is screwed for 2-3 more years.

Playing our young talent too early has been a mainstay of our plan/failure over the years.

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
Hughes is a nobody. If Leon and Connor couldn't turn this around wtf is some overrated american twirp going to do here. At this point the Oilers should trade thier 1st pick in order to avoid the embarrassment of another number 1.
Say the pick turns out to be 1st overall do you at least consider trading it this time for “immediate” help? 1st overall (Hughes) for say Pastrnak and Bruin’s 1st? You get a winger for McDavid whose on a good contract and same age as the core without giving up a roster player but obviously losing out on Hughes and his “potential” is a gamble. Of course this is all hypothetically speaking.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Say the pick turns out to be 1st overall do you at least consider trading it this time for “immediate” help? 1st overall (Hughes) for say Pastrnak and Bruin’s 1st? You get a winger for McDavid whose on a good contract and same age as the core without giving up a roster player but obviously losing out on Hughes and his “potential” is a gamble. Of course this is all hypothetically speaking.

Give me Pastrnak and the Bruins 1st all day.

Have Hughes man.

Pastrnak- Draisaitl combination would be frightening on a second line. Then move RNH to the top line, and go after Dzingel or Athanasiou on the other side. Before all this , magically make the cap disappear.....

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Hughes arent the Bpa in my book, and C are the position we are strong at! Bring back Tambo just for the lottery, so we can enjoy his gritty smile when we choose Kakko at no 1 (with a obligatory english test a week before the draft).

Wonder when we get a functional org. who can clean up the mess created over the years?
Scouting is the key and also small trades who doesnt seems special when you do them. We have failed in almost every trade an we cant develop talent even if our lives depends on it.

The Org are like a disfunctional family full of deep problems who takes years to recover from!

Uindicator

Sep 27, 2010
Playing our young talent too early has been a mainstay of our plan/failure over the years.
The failure has been how to properly coach the young talent and develop a good team chemistry, we had glimpse of that with Kruger and Nelson, and also handing out stupid contracts.

Tkachuckycheese

Oilers/Sens
Feb 2, 2016
honestly if the Oilers got the 1st overall I'd want them to trade it to a team that would take 2 players as cap dump

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad