Prospect Info: Do Canucks fans badly overrate their own prospects?

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
all Canadian teams fans are horrendous for it. Its embarrassing to read a lot of prospect threads for certain Canadian teams

Leafs are worst by far, then Nucks, then Oilers....then next notch down is Jets....Flames/Sens/Habs are the most bearable IMO

I really disagree MTL fans are in the most bearable group. Such a large fanbase has many completely out of touch fans.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I really disagree MTL fans are in the most bearable group. Such a large fanbase has many completely out of touch fans.

Habs fans are friggin' terrible. (Ok not the whole fan base but they definitely have their lumps.)

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
This board is just a microcosm of the large boards and hockey fans in general. Yes for sure some fans absolutely way over hype guys. I think a few people here call it correctly. When you are young, you are generally both more naive and optimistic. I for sure was. I know there is prospects I over hyped. Hell I think I did that with White.

Anyway then there is also the casual fan who just has no idea what it really takes, and just here a prospect is doing well. Well he must be the next _______.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
It's simply hard to project prospects and a lot of times it's about timing and opportunity. There's also the fact that many posters here (including me most of the time) value outside of the NHL "potential" more than NHL contribution. It's like NHL experience without much progress is somehow more of a death knell than a prospect who has been unable to crack the NHL. We see this with the Shinkaruk for Granlund trade. Even to this day some posters here refuse to call it a good trade for reason that it was "unnecessary." That "possibility" of a prospect reaching their drafted potential in the NHL is perceived by many to be worth more than a player who is an NHL player now but who hasn't shown the potential that they displayed as a prospect.

Take Dale Weise. When he was here we saw a guy who had size, could skate, and had good hands. But he was stuck on the 4th line playing limited minutes and producing solid 4th line numbers (which in the grand scheme of things is very average numbers). Since he was 25 and didn't improve his numbers over his 2+ seasons here many here thought he was a dime a dozen 4th line player. He goes to another team, gets more opportunity to play, and he proves himself as a good 3rd line player. The same fans here who are raving about Kassian now were critical of the Canucks for trying to make Kassian fight and play a physical game rather than giving him a chance to be a top 6 producer. But the game Kassian played this past season is what the Canucks tried to get out of Kassian. Kassian had 7 fights in the regular season this season but apparently Canucks management were incompetent in forcing Kassian to fight and play like a grinder.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
The surest way for a Canuck player or prospect to get ridiculously overrated is to be any kind of tough guy. So we have a huge % of the fan base basically demanding that Pedan get promoted to the big club even though he's not even very good at the AHL level. Kassian was ridiculously overrated here because so many Canuck fans wanted him to be our next "Bertuzzi" so badly they could taste it, this despite the fact that Kass (like Bert before him) was far more dirty than he was tough. There is still a disturbing number of Canuck fans who think that what Bert did to Moore was laudible...

Chubros

Dec 9, 2011
The surest way for a Canuck player or prospect to get ridiculously overrated is to be any kind of tough guy. So we have a huge % of the fan base basically demanding that Pedan get promoted to the big club even though he's not even very good at the AHL level. Kassian was ridiculously overrated here because so many Canuck fans wanted him to be our next "Bertuzzi" so badly they could taste it, this despite the fact that Kass (like Bert before him) was far more dirty than he was tough. There is still a disturbing number of Canuck fans who think that what Bert did to Moore was laudible...

What? I haven't heard even one fan ever demand that Pedan get promoted to the big club.

To answer the bigger question: no, Vancouver fans do not badly overrate the team's prospects. They do overrate them, just not badly.

You see, Vancouver fans think the prospects are really **** when in fact they are really, really *****. If they thought the prospects were only the plain old vanilla variety of ****, then that would be badly overrating them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad