Dmitry Kulikov

Jonas1235

Jan 8, 2008
Calgary
A young defenseman playing for the Panthers, nobody really notices him down there. But he has played very well this season considering he's only 19 years old.

12 points in 38 games, -6 rating for the season.

Has only been a minus 3 times in the last 26 games.

Who would you compare him to and what do you think his potential is?

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Really like his potential. A hybrid who can dish out and shoot on the PP. Staple top 4 defenseman for a long time.

Panthers got themselves a steal where he was picked.

BobbyRyan9

Let's Go Bruins!
May 26, 2008
Really like his potential. A hybrid who can dish out and shoot on the PP. Staple top 4 defenseman for a long time.

Panthers got themselves a steal where he was picked.

He was supposed to be a top ten pick in the draft (around 9th I believe), but ended up dropping to 14th overall. So I think the Panthers were very lucky to land a guy like him in their position, especially since a defensemen was needed with the departure of Bouwmeester. He is a very good defensive defensemen, almost like a second goalie out there, and may have the ability to chip in offensively more and more as time progresses. I think one of the reasons he has gone unnoticed is due to the spotlight being on Myers and Hedman. But he'll develop into a very solid, top four defensemen within the next few seasons.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
In games that I've seen, he made awful mistakes, Sure he will improve, but he looked very raw to me.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
He was supposed to be a top ten pick in the draft (around 9th I believe), but ended up dropping to 14th overall.
i wouldnt say 'supposed to be top-10'. He was billed as a potential top-10 pick, and going into the draft i thought ottawa or dallas would probably take him. Of course dallas surprised some people a bit with glennie and ottawa had cowen fall into their lap. I think the russian factor played against kuli in the draft even though he was already over - remember radulov tensions were high last year.

Either way, i think the panthers are lucky to have him, but i kind of wish he had gone to a more skilled team. Imagining him playing on the pp in ottawa right now with kovalev, spezza, alfredsson, and michalek is a bit mindblowing.

Manny*

Either way, i think the panthers are lucky to have him, but i kind of wish he had gone to a more skilled team. Imagining him playing on the pp in ottawa right now with kovalev, spezza, alfredsson, and michalek is a bit mindblowing.

That's kind of mean.

member 30781

That's kind of mean.

But its true. Kulikov benefits greatly from an all around talented team. The more skilled of players he had to work with, the easier the transition. The thought of Kuli going to Ottawa, I must admit, is a bit scary. He has tremendous offensive abilities and gels well with those who give him the opportunity to showcase his offensive talents. The Sens powerplay would be deadly if they took Kulikov instead of Cowen, but a shutdown defensive presence was apparently what they were going for. That or they just wanted the safer pick.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
How Kulikov dropped so far down is beyond me, but he has great potential, and he's going to be a great defenseman within the next few years.

Manny*

But its true. Kulikov benefits greatly from an all around talented team. The more skilled of players he had to work with, the easier the transition. The thought of Kuli going to Ottawa, I must admit, is a bit scary. He has tremendous offensive abilities and gels well with those who give him the opportunity to showcase his offensive talents. The Sens powerplay would be deadly if they took Kulikov instead of Cowen, but a shutdown defensive presence was apparently what they were going for. That or they just wanted the safer pick.

Karlsson and Wiercioch say hello. They'll take longer to develop, but their presence will certainly make a world of difference.

panthersfan751

Jan 16, 2010
As a Panther fan, I initially didn't like the pick because of the Russian factor. But thankfully we were able to get him signed.

He's certainly made his share of mistakes this year, but as a rookie, that's to be expected. He is extremely talented, and I think his offensive talent will help make him a very good NHL defenseman.

Masochist Caniac

Because at some point you learn to love the pain
Apr 28, 2009
Toronto, CAN
How Kulikov dropped so far down is beyond me, but he has great potential, and he's going to be a great defenseman within the next few years.

Similar to how MPS dropped I suppose. 2009 was an odd draft that way, many sure fire guys dropped 5-10 spots. I'm curious to see in 5 years if some of those gamble worked out and if guys like Cowen, MPS and Kulikov pan out to what they were hyped to be.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Similar to how MPS dropped I suppose. 2009 was an odd draft that way, many sure fire guys dropped 5-10 spots. I'm curious to see in 5 years if some of those gamble worked out and if guys like Cowen, MPS and Kulikov pan out to what they were hyped to be.

Kulikov was never a really sure-fire top ten guy. I think he was ranked at 8 or 9 by several agencies, but he certainly was never considered as a potential top 5 pick like MSP or Cowen. Falling to #14 wasn't a massive drop. In fact, 14 or 15 was probably the basement of his expected range. He was a minimal faller IMO.

Kulikov definitely has the potential to be a top 2 Dman. Solid attributes everywhere.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
Kulikov was never a really sure-fire top ten guy. I think he was ranked at 8 or 9 by several agencies, but he certainly was never considered as a potential top 5 pick like MSP or Cowen. Falling to #14 wasn't a massive drop. In fact, 14 or 15 was probably the basement of his expected range. He was a minimal faller IMO.

I was sure when the Isles moved up to 12, they were going to take Kulikov. It would've been my dream draft. I can only guess that the Islanders were afraid of what might happen if he did not make the team. Oh well... I'm not unhappy with De Haan, but I think it still would've been the right move.

Cheers,

Dan-o

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
I was sure when the Isles moved up to 12, they were going to take Kulikov. It would've been my dream draft. I can only guess that the Islanders were afraid of what might happen if he did not make the team. Oh well... I'm not unhappy with De Haan, but I think it still would've been the right move.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Right now, its impossible to project who will be better. De Haan looks like a good prospect and just because he has to yet make the NHL unlike Kulikov doesn't mean he is a lesser prospect.

Both are top tier D prospects.

Karlssonlee

Jan 13, 2009
Sorta like Niklas Kronwall with a little more offensive upside and a little less physical.

This is a good comparison, but just wait until he matures a bit and gets comfortable using his body, he's a pretty solid guy who can throw some mean hits

Jun 22, 2009
oo man the way he has been playing this may look like the steal of that draft. i remember hearing lots of the scouts saying that he should go maybe top 7 but a lot of the General Managers were scared of the Russian factor.

TheNudge

Aug 11, 2008
Who s better Kullikov or Ryan Ellis

I traded Ellis for Kullikov, since there's way too many top tier Defencement in Nashville. So Ellis will get buried under the top tier D. So was it a good choice or not.
I say that Ellis have a better offensive uside but overall he's lacking in size.
Wich mean bust or gold.

So Ellis or Kulikov.

By the way it was a keeper league

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I remember he was being compared to Sergei Gonchar, is that still fair? I'm also with Dan-o, I thought Garth was going to draft Kulikov when he traded up to 12.

I'm not sure he's got Gonchar's shot but there are certainly some similarities. Hopefully his defensive game develops a lot quicker than Gonchar's.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Who s better Kullikov or Ryan Ellis

I traded Ellis for Kullikov, since there's way too many top tier Defencement in Nashville. So Ellis will get buried under the top tier D. So was it a good choice or not.
I say that Ellis have a better offensive uside but overall he's lacking in size.
Wich mean bust or gold.

So Ellis or Kulikov.

By the way it was a keeper league

Well Kulikov is certainly the safer player to have and yes Ellis is buried and who knows of he even makes the NHL....

As for Kulikov I had him in my top 7 in last year's draft. I love this kids potential as a top pairing #1 defenceman. He already is pretty decent defensively and his offensive game is very good as well. The teams that passed on him from 7-13 might regret it....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad