Dmitry Kulikov-The $5.5 Million Dollar Man

Erick*

The inconsistent one is at it again.

For all the talk of his improved play, he's been on the ice for a lot of goals against lately. If Kulikov is our best d-man, I guess it makes sense that the d-core is so crappy.

Panthers Rock

Rebuild 10.0
Apr 17, 2006
Winter Springs, FL
1. Kulikov is older than Gudbranson and plays a very different style. Gudbranson is your stay at home, bruising, shutdown D while Kulikov is a two way guy. Comparing these two isn't totally fair and stating that he's the future captain does NOT mean he's worth more in a contract than Kulikov. Where does that logic come from? Your best player does not have to be your captain.

2. Kulikov, while he's done better, hasn't really done enough to be worthy of even $5 million a year. If he gets that, I won't be too happy at this point because he'd be getting paid for what he might do rather than what he has done.

3. Kulikov should be retained and losing him would be quite foolish unless they can turn that into something big. But we're not exactly sprouting awesome defensemen right now, the defense needs work. If that's what it takes, it sucks, but fine. He may not be the best but even his talent level doesn't grow on trees.

4. Gilbert's asking price is irrelevant. At least 1/3 of his season was atrocious. He has improved, yes, but he is very replaceable. Tell me we can't find someone better to pair with Campbell, please. It's not that hard.

5. Anyone who's had to play with Jovo, those minutes do not count against them at all.

Panthersfan1989

Feb 24, 2013
S. Florida
1. Kulikov is older than Gudbranson and plays a very different style. Gudbranson is your stay at home, bruising, shutdown D while Kulikov is a two way guy. Comparing these two isn't totally fair and stating that he's the future captain does NOT mean he's worth more in a contract than Kulikov. Where does that logic come from? Your best player does not have to be your captain.

2. Kulikov, while he's done better, hasn't really done enough to be worthy of even $5 million a year. If he gets that, I won't be too happy at this point because he'd be getting paid for what he might do rather than what he has done.

3. Kulikov should be retained and losing him would be quite foolish unless they can turn that into something big. But we're not exactly sprouting awesome defensemen right now, the defense needs work. If that's what it takes, it sucks, but fine. He may not be the best but even his talent level doesn't grow on trees.

4. Gilbert's asking price is irrelevant. At least 1/3 of his season was atrocious. He has improved, yes, but he is very replaceable. Tell me we can't find someone better to pair with Campbell, please. It's not that hard.

5. Anyone who's had to play with Jovo, those minutes do not count against them at all.

If campbell/gilbert is our top pairing next season, we arent going to win many games..

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
On one hand, giving Kulikov 5.5 million AAV is a scary proposition. But the Panthers can't afford to trade his rights for picks/prospects.

Panthers Rock

Rebuild 10.0
Apr 17, 2006
Winter Springs, FL
On one hand, giving Kulikov 5.5 million AAV is a scary proposition. But the Panthers can't afford to trade his rights for picks/prospects.

image001.jpg

jrockett1096

Aug 2, 2005
Miami
www.miamiestatebuyers.com
If campbell/gilbert is our top pairing next season, we arent going to win many games..

Absolutely right. Yesterday's performance was disgraceful. Mostly by Campbell. He's in offseason mode right now. This team needs a REAL first D pairing and slide Campbell to the second pairing with someone else. Big and talented players just eat those 2 alive. It was quite pathetic watching that performance yesterday.

Panthersfan1989

Feb 24, 2013
S. Florida
Absolutely right. Yesterday's performance was disgraceful. Mostly by Campbell. He's in offseason mode right now. This team needs a REAL first D pairing and slide Campbell to the second pairing with someone else. Big and talented players just eat those 2 alive. It was quite pathetic watching that performance yesterday.

I was out last night and did not watch the game, saw a few highlights on NHL network, what really pissed me off was that goal ellis made the first save no one cleared the puck and the duck player from his knees got the goal. I believe Campbell was the D-men in the blue paint who didnt clear.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012

keep jovo in the lineup too and here we come McDavid :laugh:

with faulk getting under 5per i can't imagine kulikov getting more, unless faulk signed at a discounted price to stay there. 3.8-4.5per is where kulikov should land, 3-5yr deal. if we draft ekblad id actually explore trading kulikov for a winger. perhaps matt read. thats IF guys like greene, nikitin, and meszaros make it to free agency.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

with faulk getting under 5per i can't imagine kulikov getting more, unless faulk signed at a discounted price to stay there. 3.8-4.5per is where kulikov should land, 3-5yr deal. if we draft ekblad id actually explore trading kulikov for a winger. perhaps matt read.

He's a 3.5 million man in my mind.So inconsistent, and yeah, I wouldn't be against this.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013

with faulk getting under 5per i can't imagine kulikov getting more, unless faulk signed at a discounted price to stay there. 3.8-4.5per is where kulikov should land, 3-5yr deal. if we draft ekblad id actually explore trading kulikov for a winger. perhaps matt read. thats IF guys like greene, nikitin, and meszaros make it to free agency.

Faulk's contract starts at 2.6 and rises to 6 mil in the last two. I wouldn't be opposed to give the Kuli the same thing.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
the only thing is i wouldnt want to sign him to anything too long term. 3yrs would be nice, 4yrs tops, and thats just because we still don't know what we're getting out of him. unless the price is cheap of course. but if he's going to make solid money i don't want it to be longterm (yet). if we draft ekblad ill do a matt read swap in a sec, and thats nothing against kulikov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad