Dmitry Kulikov-The $5.5 Million Dollar Man

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
I sort of don't want to take a chance on overpaying another defenseman. We've done enough of that since Tallon has gotten here; it's been his one major flaw.

I have no interest in counting on Kulikov's potential. If this is what he's actually asking for, I hope he's traded.

The guy has 16 points, is a team worst -18. He's been in the league for a handful of years now and still isn't playing top-pairing minutes on a consistent basis. He's an inconsistent player.

If Kulikov is seriously valued like this around the league (and I'm not saying he's not, he's still a young d-man), I'd be more interested in seeing the type of return we can get for him via trade before paying him.

With how bad this team is on defense, I don't think we can afford to lose a player like Kulikov and go bargain hunting for FAs.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Kulikov has been our best Dman since December. Half a season isnt enough to gauge if he has improved to the point where he deserves big money, but its a good start. Is he worth over $5 million per, probably not, but the way the cap is increasing, its less than it actually sounds. Id offer hi $5.5 million per if he was willing to go 6 or 7 years. Its a lot of money, but from the 3rd year on, it becomes cheaper than his worth, especially if he continues to improve.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
The past 6 or 7 excellent games Kulikov has played is not enough to make up for his subpar turnover riddled no offense season. LOL at getting 5.5 million a year he won't get anything close to that and no team is gonna give up a couple of firsts to get him on an offer sheet. See you at arbitration Kuli.
**btw this is Ottawa Sun reporting it might as well have come from one of us. This guy is up there with ekland for worst in the biz.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
The past 6 or 7 excellent games Kulikov has played is not enough to make up for his subpar turnover riddled no offense season. LOL at getting 5.5 million a year he won't get anything close to that and no team is gonna give up a couple of firsts to get him on an offer sheet. See you at arbitration Kuli.
**btw this is Ottawa Sun reporting it might as well have come from one of us. This guy is up there with ekland for worst in the biz.

This!

$4 million per year max imo. And that is being generous.

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
I think the implication is if Tallon is willing to pay Kulikov that much money that Gudbranson is grossly underpaid.

If Kulikov is worth $5mil, than isn't Gudbranson, who you called your future Captain and who also is a RFA, worth $6mil or more?

what?

Gudbranson has done nothing to earn a pay raise, let alone a hefty one. he's been awful his entire time in the NHL. you don't get paid $5+ mil a year strictly for being a captain. or in Gudbranson's case, a "potential" captain.

Bryce Salvador is a captain of an NHL team. would you pay him $5mil? i don't see the comparison between the two.

That being said, while Kulikov is a much better player than Guds is, he also isn't worth $5 mil per. $4 mil i'd be fine with. anything more than that is too much. he's been playing ALOT better lately, but still, he needs to prove it on a more consistent basis to earn $5mil a yr.

coopdaloop123

Mar 11, 2013
FL
Roman Josi signed a deal this past offseason for 4 mil a season ... While I think Kulikov has a higher "potential" than Josi, there is no question that Josi is the better player right now and they are both 23 y/o.

IMO this contract should be the benchmark when the team's are negotiating, I think 4 mil for Kuli is a fair price.

5.5 is a bit insane, but I'm sure when he sees that Jovo makes 4.25 and Soup makes 7+ that he deserves some $$$ =/

jrockett1096

Aug 2, 2005
Miami
www.miamiestatebuyers.com
He is worth the 4 million. If he was unrestricted I think he would get the 5 or 5.5 so lets keep it in perspective. As I said in another post he should be in the 1st pairing with another stud number 1 dman and stop with wimpy Campbell getting all this ice time and on the top pairing here. On another subject i excuse any of our young dmen (kulikov, Guds, Olsen) this year that have had to play with jovo, weaver, mottau, whitney and robak. All those guys ruined there D partner and made them look bad all year and are not NHL players. I think we have to really consider the obstacle playing with that. Weaver was the best of that group which isn't saying much and Jovo destroyed Olsen and Guds and continues poisoning this team. Only campbell had someone competent to play with nearly all year long.

Two top end wingers and a stud dman is what we need here to turn this team around and move all our 3rd and 4th line players playing in there competent appropriate roles and end this mockery of a lack of top end talent on this team.

panthersfan94

#CatsAreComing
Jan 23, 2014
Nashville, TN
To everyone complaining about his lack of offense, he is one of the biggest reasons for our recent powerplay improvement, and how much offense can reasonably be expected from a d-man playing second pairing minutes with Mike Weaver for much of the year and with minimal time on the powerplay until recently.

Panthersfan1989

Feb 24, 2013
S. Florida
Roman Josi signed a deal this past offseason for 4 mil a season ... While I think Kulikov has a higher "potential" than Josi, there is no question that Josi is the better player right now and they are both 23 y/o.

IMO this contract should be the benchmark when the team's are negotiating, I think 4 mil for Kuli is a fair price.

5.5 is a bit insane, but I'm sure when he sees that Jovo makes 4.25 and Soup makes 7+ that he deserves some $$$ =/

Soup also stops trying after the playoffs are out of reach, great role model. Im so tired of him and all the praise he gets.

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
He is worth the 4 million. If he was unrestricted I think he would get the 5 or 5.5 so lets keep it in perspective. As I said in another post he should be in the 1st pairing with another stud number 1 dman and stop with wimpy Campbell getting all this ice time and on the top pairing here. On another subject i excuse any of our young dmen (kulikov, Guds, Olsen) this year that have had to play with jovo, weaver, mottau, whitney and robak. All those guys ruined there D partner and made them look bad all year and are not NHL players. I think we have to really consider the obstacle playing with that. Weaver was the best of that group which isn't saying much and Jovo destroyed Olsen and Guds and continues poisoning this team. Only campbell had someone competent to play with nearly all year long.

Two top end wingers and a stud dman is what we need here to turn this team around and move all our 3rd and 4th line players playing in there competent appropriate roles and end this mockery of a lack of top end talent on this team.

Agree. This should be the objective this offseason.

-ghoste

Georgia Panther

Aug 2, 2005
BufordGA/FranklinNC
For those of you that bring up that Kulikov has been our best defenseman recently my reply to that is that isn't saying much. Two years at 4 per and after seeing some consistency talk about the big bucks.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
For those of you that bring up that Kulikov has been our best defenseman recently my reply to that is that isn't saying much. Two years at 4 per and after seeing some consistency talk about the big bucks.

He's not accepting another bridge contract. He is going to want term with this deal no doubt.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
Okay so all they have to do is draft Ekblad to replace the guy they might lose that was drafted to replace another guy they lost. Whew!

That should git er done in Panther Land.

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
It's Garrioch, how often is he right? GP stirring controversy as usual.

Yeah, Guds hasn't been awful his entire time here, that's so old and tired.

And the team would be way worse without Soup. Why that guy is on a witch hunt for Soup is beyond me.

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
I sort of don't want to take a chance on overpaying another defenseman. We've done enough of that since Tallon has gotten here; it's been his one major flaw.

I have no interest in counting on Kulikov's potential. If this is what he's actually asking for, I hope he's traded.

The guy has 16 points, is a team worst -18. He's been in the league for a handful of years now and still isn't playing top-pairing minutes on a consistent basis. He's an inconsistent player.

If Kulikov is seriously valued like this around the league (and I'm not saying he's not, he's still a young d-man), I'd be more interested in seeing the type of return we can get for him via trade before paying him.

Unfortunately we are fans of a team where people think Kulikov and Gudbranson are good.

Our team would sadly be that much worse without them though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad