Dmitry Kulikov-The $5.5 Million Dollar Man

Georgia Panther

Aug 2, 2005
BufordGA/FranklinNC
Set to become a RFA with the threat of the KHL looming, the Panthers are trying to re-sign defenceman Dmitry Kulikov. The talk is GM Dale Tallon has put a four-year, $20-million deal on the table but Kulikov’s camp wants $22 million over four years. If he gets that kind of money, Florida’s talks with UFA Tom Gilbert and RFA D Erik Gudbranson should be interesting. Tallon told an Ottawa radio station last week that Gudbranson is a “future captain†and “isn’t going anywhere.†The Panthers have an odd way of treating a guy they consider a franchise player ...

http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/03/22/gms-face-chopping-block

Perhaps I should have started a Poll, what's more disturbing, Kulikov's asking price or Tallon's offer to him?

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL
Set to become a RFA with the threat of the KHL looming, the Panthers are trying to re-sign defenceman Dmitry Kulikov. The talk is GM Dale Tallon has put a four-year, $20-million deal on the table but Kulikov’s camp wants $22 million over four years. If he gets that kind of money, Florida’s talks with UFA Tom Gilbert and RFA D Erik Gudbranson should be interesting. Tallon told an Ottawa radio station last week that Gudbranson is a “future captain” and “isn’t going anywhere.” The Panthers have an odd way of treating a guy they consider a franchise player ...

http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/03/22/gms-face-chopping-block

Perhaps I should have started a Poll, what's more disturbing, Kulikov's asking price or Tallon's offer to him?

How have the panthers treated Guds bad. I mean other than making him play with Jovo.

Plus it's Garrioch ......

Georgia Panther

Aug 2, 2005
BufordGA/FranklinNC
How have the panthers treated Guds bad. I mean other than making him play with Jovo.

I think the implication is if Tallon is willing to pay Kulikov that much money that Gudbranson is grossly underpaid.

If Kulikov is worth $5mil, than isn't Gudbranson, who you called your future Captain and who also is a RFA, worth $6mil or more?

Last edited:

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL
I think the implication is if Tallon is willing to pay Kulikov that much money than Gudbranson is grossly underpaid.

He's on his ELC and has missed most of one year with a self induced shoulder injury and has been up and down much like Kulikov. And future captain means just that in the future. He's not ready for it now and his play hasn't been all world. Tallon saying he likes the kid and thinks he has a bright future means they should over pay him now?

Georgia Panther

Aug 2, 2005
BufordGA/FranklinNC
He's on his ELC and has missed most of one year with a self induced shoulder injury and has been up and down much like Kulikov. And future captain means just that in the future. He's not ready for it now and his play hasn't been all world. Tallon saying he likes the kid and thinks he has a bright future means they should over pay him now?

Both Kulikov and Gudbranson RFA's so who is more valuable and who gets the bigger payday?What one gets impacts the other.

SufferingCatFan

Apr 6, 2008
fort lauderdale

Plus it's Garrioch ......

Agree with your comment: "Plus its Garrioch."

Would not be surprised, however, if Kuli is signed to a multi-year contract in the $4 million range. We kept him to resign him after all.

If Barry Trotz is fired in Nashville, we can probably expect the Panthers to go hard after him considering the Santos connection and the fact that our current style of play is modeled after Nashville.

Georgia Panther

Aug 2, 2005
BufordGA/FranklinNC
Agree with your comment: "Plus its Garrioch."

Would not be surprised, however, if Kuli is signed to a multi-year contract in the $4 million range. We kept him to resign him after all.

If Barry Trotz is fired in Nashville, we can probably expect the Panthers to go hard after him considering the Santos connection and the fact that our current style of play is modeled after Nashville.

Agreed on the $4mil and, unfortunately, agree about Florida-Nashville though why anyone's goal in life is to be a hockey team like Nashville is beyond me. BORING!!!

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
I think the implication is if Tallon is willing to pay Kulikov that much money that Gudbranson is grossly underpaid.

If Kulikov is worth $5mil, than isn't Gudbranson, who you called your future Captain and who also is a RFA, worth $6mil or more?

Gudbranson will sign a bridge contract like Kuli did two years ago. Kuli is farther along and near UFA, Guddy is coming off his ELC.

Personally I'd do 5.5 for 5 or even six. The way he is playing now, if that trajectory keeps on then in 2-3 years 5.5 is a steal for that skill level.

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL
Both Kulikov and Gudbranson RFA's so who is more valuable and who gets the bigger payday?What one gets impacts the other.

LOL ones coming off an entry level deal and has been in the NHL 3 years and the other is coming of his second "bridge" contract. If Guds signs a 2 year deal like Kulikov did and improves as much as Kulikov has this year he can expect a bigger third contract. They may both be RFA's but their contract situations are nothing alike. And to say they are just proves what an idiot Garrioch is.

Effe

Sep 26, 2013
Gothenburg, Sweden
Kulikov has been our best blueliner since christmas and Im fine with 5x4 M deal, and Gudy has been decent had some injury problems and hasn't shown anything that would justify a 5M deal yet. He will get another bridge and next season its time for him to prove that he's a future #1

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
3.75-4.5M with term I'm okay with.

Kuli hasn't proven consistently that he's worth +5 yet.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
1) Ottawa sun

2) kuli well worth 5mil x 4. There are good teams that would build around him, a hard to find puck moving dman with a helluva shot, that unlike jayblo likes it here.. Only by a few would he be a scapegoat like he was early in the season when he slumped, like all players do.

3) Ottawa sun

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
3.75-4.5M with term I'm okay with.

Kuli hasn't proven consistently that he's worth +5 yet.

I totally agree with this. I would hope $4 million is the high at this point in time. If he plays how he has since his benching for the next four years or so, then he can start seeking money in the $5-6 million dollar range, IMO.

-ghoste

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
5 million is fine. 5.5 is so so

Guds should get a 2-3 year deal under 3 million a year

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
1) Ottawa sun

2) kuli well worth 5mil x 4. There are good teams that would build around him, a hard to find puck moving dman with a helluva shot, that unlike jayblo likes it here.. Only by a few would he be a scapegoat like he was early in the season when he slumped, like all players do.

3) Ottawa sun

AG I feel like you missed pointing out that this article comes from the Ottawa sun and thus from a writer who has a weird attraction to Tallon.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
No way in hell is Kulikov worth this type of money.

Not right now but he will probably get it. I'd prefer to give him a 5yr @ $4.5mil instead of the 4yr @ $5.5mil. I doubt Tallon "gives up" on guy who's played 300 games at the ripe age of 23. If he's true to his word and wants to stay then I feel Tallon has to take the gamble and assume Kuli will take his game to the next level and become a #1D or #2D. If I was Dale, I'd be okay with the 4 year counter offer from his agent. It's 4 years, we have the money and he looks to be on the upward trend. Pay that man his money!

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
No way in hell is Kulikov worth this type of money.

Gotta account for cap inflation. This it he same as $4 mil old monies. Keep that in mind.

Only reason I say yes is because our defense sucks enough as it is. Yes to 20, do not cave into demands for 22 though.

Erick*

I sort of don't want to take a chance on overpaying another defenseman. We've done enough of that since Tallon has gotten here; it's been his one major flaw.

I have no interest in counting on Kulikov's potential. If this is what he's actually asking for, I hope he's traded.

The guy has 16 points, is a team worst -18. He's been in the league for a handful of years now and still isn't playing top-pairing minutes on a consistent basis. He's an inconsistent player.

If Kulikov is seriously valued like this around the league (and I'm not saying he's not, he's still a young d-man), I'd be more interested in seeing the type of return we can get for him via trade before paying him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad