Prospect Info: Dmitri Jaskin - Signed to 3 year deal by Blues

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
@lkorac10 Make what you will. Today's line combos: 57-42-20 w/26 mixing in on top line, 10-17-25, 9-32-91 and 79-21-75. Also, Oshie & Nichol skating.

Hitch is NOT happy with Berglund. I don't think that guy is going to be on the team next year.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
wouldn't we need to send someone down if we get oshie and nichol back? i'm guessing it would sadly be cracknell to go back down. But i wouldn't mind Jaskin-porter-Reaves on the 4th line. I know we all wanna see jaskin play in the top 9 but i have a feeling he's atleast gonna start on the 4th and work his way up the ladder.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
wouldn't we need to send someone down if we get oshie and nichol back? i'm guessing it would sadly be cracknell to go back down. But i wouldn't mind Jaskin-porter-Reaves on the 4th line. I know we all wanna see jaskin play in the top 9 but i have a feeling he's atleast gonna start on the 4th and work his way up the ladder.

No, on trade deadline day rosters lose the 23-man limit.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Here is what Korac's reporting:

Perron-Backes-Steen (with Jaskin mixing in)
McDonald-Sobotka-Stewart
Schwartz-Porter-Tarasenko
Cracknell-Berglund-Reaves

Yeah, I'd say Hitchcock is pointing the finger at a certain Swede's game and saying it totally sucks.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Said it before but I think it's not impossible they take a look at Jaskin at center. His physical game is what they want to see at center. If he looks good there it opens up a LOT more options in the offseason.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
Berglund looks like Stewart during his worst stretches last season. One aimless, purposeless shift after another. Berglund has to play with others to get the best out of him. Historically that's been Perron or Oshie. He isn't a catalyst himself. When you look around at our competition and see who their second line centers are it becomes absurdly clear what a gaping hole that position is in our lineup. This is the first time all year I look at our line chart up front and think how below average our forwards are on paper. I seriously think this team will struggle to score goals in the playoffs the way the 2008-09 team did.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
We do have some options internally to try at center, some I believe would be successful and some I don't, but I didn't expect Allen to do much, so I'm open to anything.

Schwartz, Oshie, and even Jaskin could get a look at center IMO.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
This team's problem is that Berglund and Backes aren't Kopitar, Toews, etc. Berglund, despite his struggles, would still be a great asset to the team IF they can fill that center hole. Berglund would be lucky to be a #2 on a lot of contenders. Hopefully Jaskin listens to Backes and Nichol and learns to play center really soon.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO

McDonald-Sobotka-Stewart

Yeah, I'd say Hitchcock is pointing the finger at a certain Swede's game and saying it totally sucks.

ROFL wow.

Can't say I disagree with him.

Man if Jaskin could come in and play center, that'd be awesome.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Makes me wonder if Jaskin ends up on the 4th line or if Porter end up on the 4th and someone takes the 3rd line center spot.

I find it interesting that Jaskin is taking shifts with the top line. Wonder what the reasoning is there. If he is there to learn from the vets or if he will be on that line in his debut.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
If the Blues are that desperate to fill the 2nd line center spot than Oshie is the best alternative. Berglund stinks, you can't put a rookie in that spot, Sobotka would be playing a line too high, and McDonald is too small. So it comes down to Oshie and Steen and I think Oshie would be a lot more effective than Steen who wasn't very good (IMO) during his pivot stint. Most of his early season points came courtesy of the PP. One of Oshie's best games in the early parts of his career came in Calgary when Andy Murray put him at center and he played 22 minutes of flawless two-way hockey.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
We do have some options internally to try at center, some I believe would be successful and some I don't, but I didn't expect Allen to do much, so I'm open to anything.

Schwartz, Oshie, and even Jaskin could get a look at center IMO.

I wouldn't be in a big rush to get a look at Jaskin at center. I can't recall him taking a single shift there in Moncton; pretty much all on the wing with Saulnier/Barbashev/Danault at center.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
I wouldn't be in a big rush to get a look at Jaskin at center. I can't recall him taking a single shift there in Moncton; pretty much all on the wing with Saulnier/Barbashev/Danault at center.

The Blues don't use their centers as playmaking distributors. They prefer big bodies at center. Backes was originally a winger. I don't think how Jaskin was used at Moncton will be the deciding factor for Hitchcock. He'll probably be a winger but if a center experiment worked, it really changes the Blues' options in the offseason for reworking their forward lines, so there is incentive to try it.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I think it is pretty unlikely that Jaskin gets a look at center, but for next season it isn't too far-fetched.

We have to win games down the stretch. They are all pretty much must wins, which is why I doubt Jaskin would get playing time at center this season.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
The Blues don't use their centers as playmaking distributors. They prefer big bodies at center. Backes was originally a winger. I don't think how Jaskin was used at Moncton will be the deciding factor for Hitchcock. He'll probably be a winger but if a center experiment worked, it really changes the Blues' options in the offseason for reworking their forward lines, so there is incentive to try it.

Hitchcock inherited Backes and Berglund, and we've had very little option but to go with them. I don't think we can read anything into that.

As for Jaškin at centre, I really don't see that happening. I never seen him play the position for Slavia, he didn't play it in Moncton. The move to the NHL is a big enough jump without asking him to play a position he hasn't seen in years.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012

McDonald-Sobotka-Stewart

Why wouldn't Jaskin be in full time if he was going to play tomorrow night? I'm legitimately curious. Wouldn't they want him gaining some understanding with his linemates, and possibly capture some chemistry in practice? Is it possible Hitch keeps him out until the Phoenix game?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Wonder if his conditioning isn't on the NHL level or if Hitch is just keeping his cards close.

I'm just glad someone in the top 9 is being bumped out regardless if Jaskin plays or not.

stlweir

Sep 29, 2008
Perron hasn't scored a goal for awhile. Perhaps Jaskin takes his place. The power play has been dead in the water for too long.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
6'3, 205 lb. carrot. I hope we get to at least see him play a game.

I like the Schwartz-Porter-Tarasenko combo. It seems like Tarasenko generates his best chances with Schwartz.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Agreed that I would also be surprised to see Jaskin at center. Yes, he's a big body but he's always been a winger AFAIK. It's one thing to convert a winger to center like Backes and Steen but those two at least played C in Jrs, college, etc. Jaskin's always been a winger. And to try to convert him as a rookie, late in the season? I just don't see it.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas

McDonald-Sobotka-Stewart

I think he's trying to get Berglund's physicality back up to where it was early in the season. The 4th line is the guys that are playing the right way right now...and are looking to funnel to the net the most effectively (ironic, but sadly true) compared with the top 9.

I'm not sure this is Hitchcock totally down on Berglund as much as he's trying to get his mind right for the post-season. And hopefully Berglund takes it as a sharp wake-up call.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad