Prospect Info: Dmitri Jaskin - Signed to 3 year deal by Blues

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
I think this guy deserves his own thread. Dmitri Jaskin made the move to Moncton and has arrived better than expected. After a medicore season in a european pro league , Jaskin is flourishing in his first stint in the CHL. He's proved himself well worthy of being chosen in the first round, 22nd overall, in the CHL Import draft this past June. Dmitri , a 6'2" 203 pound power forward, flanks the right side of Russian sensation Ivan Barbashev and the two have formed instint chemistry since arriving here not that long ago. They compliment each other well and are good enough that it dosn't matter who plays on the left side of Moncton's second line. His transition from europe to North American was a smooth one. Jaskin is a fan favourite for his "fine fashion" goal scoring. He's defiantely that last thing from a perimeter player as he goes through his opponents. He plays with an edge and is fearless when battling along the boards and digging in the corner. He extremely strong and almost impossible to knock off the puck. He uses his stick very effectively while defending, he can often strip his opponents of the puck .He's definately not affraid to do the work and says it's okay because it's rewarding when the puck ends up in the back of the net. Jaskin posseses a lethal shot with dead on accuracy which causes big problems for the opposing team's goaltenders. He can also be found using his "one timer" slap shots on the squad's first powerplay unit. Dmitri Jaskin comes as advertised and has an excellent hockey IQ, he reads plays very well. One of his previous flaws ,according to many hockey people, was his skating and foot speed. This was partcially due to a knee injury which he sustained a year prior. That has completely changed. If anything, skating is now one of his fortes and that is probably to do with exhausting excerise routine and dedication to obtaining his dream of playing in the NHL. Dmitri Jaskin is now tied for first in team scoring with overage star forward and fourth year veteran, Alex Saulnier. He currently has 15 goals and 12 assists for 27 points in only 20 contests. His pace is seemingly picking up as time goes on and he is improving everyday.He looks like a man, playing amongst boys. I look forward to following his progress and know he'll be in the NHL in the very near future.

http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=dmitr...&ndsp=17&ved=1t:429,r:9,s:0,i:96&tx=96&ty=106

Last edited:

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I think this guy deserves his own thread. Dmitri Jaskin made the move to Moncton and has arrived better than expected. After a medicore season in a european pro league , Jaskin is flourishing in his first stint in the CHL. He's proved himself well worthy of being chosen in the first round, 22nd overall, in the CHL Import draft this past June. Dmitri , a 6'2" 203 pound power forward, flanks the right side of Russian sensation Ivan Barbashev and the two have formed instint chemistry since arriving here not that long ago. They compliment each other well and are good enough that it dosn't matter who plays on the left side of Moncton's second line. His transition from europe to North American was a smooth one. Jaskin is a fan favourite for his "fine fashion" goal scoring. He's defiantely that last thing from a perimeter player as he goes through his opponents. He plays with an edge and is fearless when battling along the boards and digging in the corner. He's definately not affraid to do the work and says it's okay because it's rewarding when the puck ends up in the back of the net. Jaskin posseses a lethal shot with dead on accuracy which causes big problems for the opposing team's goaltenders. He can also be found using his "one timer" slap shots on the squad's first powerplay unit. Dmitri Jaskin comes as advertised and has an excellent hockey IQ, he reads plays very well. One of his previous flaws ,according to many hockey people, was his skating and foot speed. This was partcially due to a knee injury which he sustained a year prior. That has completely changed. If anything, skating is now one of his fortes and that is probably to do with exhausting excerise routine and dedication to obtaining his dream of playing in the NHL. Dmitri Jaskin is now tied for first in team scoring with overage star forward and fourth year veteran, Alex Saulnier. He currently has 15 goals and 12 assists for 27 points in only 20 contests. His pace is seemingly picking up as time goes on and he is improving everyday. I look forward to following his progress and know he'll be in the NHL in the very near future.

http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=dmitr...&ndsp=17&ved=1t:429,r:9,s:0,i:96&tx=96&ty=106

Thaks for the info. We don't get to reallly watch our JR prospects and it is good to hear that after a horrid year last year, he is really settling in.

stlweir

Sep 29, 2008
Jaskin is proving himself to be a genuine prospect. Power forwards don't come along very often. This Blues organization has done a great job of building through the draft.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I had my doubts following last year, but I'm glad to see him really picking it up. Hopefully he becomes a solid power forward in the NHL. Never have too many :D

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Thanks for the info. Great to know that his skating is better, and it sounds like he fits our style perfectly. Seems like another example of why I have complete faith in our scouts.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
He really has that Jagr like ability to shield the puck. Not quite sure if it'll translate though.

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
He really has that Jagr like ability to shield the puck. Not quite sure if it'll translate though.

I've seen alot of players come and through the QMJHL and most don't make it to the NHL but this kid has a real good chance. His overall combination of skills and size is rare and you can tell that he's a special player after watching one of his games.

h22prelude93

Jan 27, 2010
St.Louis, Mo
Great info, thanks again. I was wondering is there anywhere online where they show highlights of Wildcat games? I noticed they have a channel on YT, but unfortunately there's only a couple videos posted.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Jaskin already has 2 goals in the first period of tonight's game. Hope he can finish the hatty.

TheKingSlayer

He was in the way!
Mar 12, 2008
Ottawa
I was at the game tonight. Kid is obviously Moncton's best player. I still his skating can use some work as he does look awkward out there, but it is by no means a hindrance. He did not lose many puck battles, but could also stand to be a tad more physical given he is bigger than everyone out there. Thing that stood out the most to me though was that his passing game is just as good as his scoring game. Every pass was tape to tape, you can really tell that he has a very high hockey IQ. Big fan of his.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I was at the game tonight. Kid is obviously Moncton's best player. I still his skating can use some work as he does look awkward out there, but it is by no means a hindrance. He did not lose many puck battles, but could also stand to be a tad more physical given he is bigger than everyone out there. Thing that stood out the most to me though was that his passing game is just as good as his scoring game. Every pass was tape to tape, you can really tell that he has a very high hockey IQ. Big fan of his.

Thank you for the objective evaluation. It's easy to get caught up in the stats without really seeing him play. Skating is an issue that can be fixed rather easily. Hitting game might take a little more work, but from most reports he loves the game and works hard so I'm sure he can improve.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
And we all thought he was a dud lol.

I didn't see too many people who thought that. He was simply buried on a men's team and wasn't getting a whole lot of opportunity. When he was playing against his peers in the WJC you could tell he was very talented. I liked the pick when it was made and still think he's an exciting prospect. The biggest issue I see with him making the Blues someday is that he's a RW...and with Oshie, Stewart & Tarasenko holding down that position, he's going to have to displace a legitimate NHL'er to get his shot here in town.

TheKingSlayer

He was in the way!
Mar 12, 2008
Ottawa
I didn't see too many people who thought that. He was simply buried on a men's team and wasn't getting a whole lot of opportunity. When he was playing against his peers in the WJC you could tell he was very talented. I liked the pick when it was made and still think he's an exciting prospect. The biggest issue I see with him making the Blues someday is that he's a RW...and with Oshie, Stewart & Tarasenko holding down that position, he's going to have to displace a legitimate NHL'er to get his shot here in town.

Jaskin scored his first goal playing RW, his second goal playing LW (and it was the nicer of the two goals - five-hole snipe). He can play both wings just fine.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Jaskin scored his first goal playing RW, his second goal playing LW (and it was the nicer of the two goals - five-hole snipe). He can play both wings just fine.

He played a fair bit of time at center for Slavia Praha as well.

If he's good enough, we'll find a way to work him into the lineup.

stlweir

Sep 29, 2008
It is a must for an organization like the Blues to build through the draft. To have Rattie and Jaskin following Tarasenko amd Schwartz is sweet. If the Blues could just find a center.

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
It is a must for an organization like the Blues to build through the draft. To have Rattie and Jaskin following Tarasenko amd Schwartz is sweet. If the Blues could just find a center.

I have a feeling that the Blues will be zeroing in on centers in this draft. There are a bunch of them available in 2013; my current favorites are Brynas' Elias Lindholm and Hudson fasching of the USNTDP. I don't think the Blues will get a shot at either Nathan McKinnon, Sean Monahan or Curtis Lazar unless they can luck into a top five pick in a lottery.

Lifetimebluesfan

Jul 2, 2012
This is probably a dumb question, but is there a chance the blues let him play a couple games with the big club next year? Could he play the full season..?

Schwartz Backes Oshie
Perron Berglund Tarasenko
Jaskin Steen Stewart
Sobotka Nichol Reaves

Last edited:

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
This is probably a dumb question, but is there a chance the blues let him play a couple games with the big club next year? Could he play the full season..?

Schwartz Backes Oshie
Perron Berglund Tarasenko
Jaskin Steen Stewart
Sobotka Nichol Reaves

I don't think there is ANY chance that Jaskin will be playing a full season with The Blues next season.

frostyflo

Jan 29, 2009
Austria
I don't think there is ANY chance that Jaskin will be playing a full season with The Blues next season.

Nah, he talked about a couple of games, not about a whole season.

But I also think its not very likely since Dags isnt in that list, No one knows If Amac will be back and if we find a center and Steen can go back to wing...

Too many ifs, too much depth...yet

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Forget about any chance of Jaškin playing an entire NHL season in 13/14, we'll still have too much depth and we are too patient for that. It isn't out of the question that he would make his debut next season if his progress was to continue, but we have so much depth that might might still be here that it is impossible to say.

Although, we always seem to get more than our fair share of injuries, so Rattie or Jaškin seeing some time is probably a safe bet no matter how much depth we have.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
If a skilled guy gets injured, guys like Schwartz, Hensick, and probably Rattie would be ahead of him. If a grinder gets injured, guys like Cracknell, Peluso, and Grachev would likely have the edge. It would take a tremendous amount of injuries for him to play next season, especially considering he's a winger.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
If a skilled guy gets injured, guys like Schwartz, Hensick, and probably Rattie would be ahead of him. If a grinder gets injured, guys like Cracknell, Peluso, and Grachev would likely have the edge. It would take a tremendous amount of injuries for him to play next season, especially considering he's a winger.

If Jaskin goes into Peoria and outplays Rattie, Hensick, and Schwartz, then he could leapfrog them just as Joe Kelly leapfrogged all the other Cardinals starters this year. Schwartz has done little to nothing to justify a call up from Peoria. I would take Hensick over him in a heartbeat at this point or pull Rattie or Jaskin out of juniors before I would recall Schwartz.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad