Buffalo Bills Divisional round: Bills v. Chiefs 1/23/2022 6:30PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008

I was so excited at this point in the game, man. Three timeouts left with Allen having the ball in his hand with adequate time left to win the game. It was his Montana moment. Cant believe 13 seconds was enough time for Mahomes to get that team into fg range. A lot of that is on coaching, for sure.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
McDermott’s made the playoffs 4 of his 5 seasons in Buffalo and had this team in contention for a super bowl 2 years in a row now. The Bills are now considered to be one of the best teams in the NFL and McDermott’s a big reason for that.

I totally agree he made mistakes. But there’s plenty of blame to go around and that includes Beane.

It’s way too soon to be talking about firing Sean McDermott. I think he’s without a doubt earned more time. IMO He’s the type of coach that’s worth sticking with and giving the time+resources to figure things out. His growth/evolution as a coach is plain to see.

Agreed. I'm pissy at him for some of the calls yesterday but don't ever want him to leave. He's a phenomenal culture builder and leader. He delegates to his staff well and is aware of his shortcomings and not too proud to hand over some responsibilities.

I don't want him going anywhere for a decade-plus. We just need him to tighten up when he plays Reid primarily since there is some kind of master/mentor dynamic with them that makes him revert to some questionable calls it seems like.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Utterly irrelevant considering how rare it is. If that's your argument, it's a weak one.

Regardless of the rarity of it happening, both TEAMS still have the opportunity to score. It puts the onus on organizations to build superior teams, meaning a strong offense and defense. TEAMS need to stop others from scoring. If your defense can't stop the other team, then you deserve to lose, you shouldn't be rewarded with a chance.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY

I was so excited at this point in the game, man. Three timeouts left with Allen having the ball in his hand with adequate time left to win the game. It was his Montana moment. Cant believe 13 seconds was enough time for Mahomes to get that team into fg range. A lot of that is on coaching, for sure.

Everyone at my house was freaking out during the Hill RAC play, and once it was obvious he was gonna take it to the house, I was saying, "Let him score, give Josh enough time to do his thing, he's got this."

I'm still a little stunned that they managed to screw it up so badly. To not even force Butker to try from 50+ was inexcusable.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The two calls on third and short that were basically "take the ball away from Josh Allen" during that stretch were Daboll's worst of the night, IMO. They needed to go for it on at least one of those instead of punting both times.
Unless you get ultra aggressive on 4th down like Staley for the chargers and go for it inside your own 35, you need to make good play calls on 3rd and short. If it’s close enough for a QB sneak then you can run that on 4th and under a yard.

Once you get past your own 40, seeing more and more teams go for it on 4th and 3. Especially if the other team has a top level QB.

Reactions: kirby11

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
How's everyone doing today?
I feel better. This is the type of football we've been craving, and the type of QB we've needed for a long time. Nothing is guaranteed in this league. Marino never got a ring for christ sakes. That being said, we're going to be very good for a while, so Im just going to ride the highs a lot longer than the lows.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

I'm feeling okay, because we have shown we can play on the level of the best of the best, and we have a QB, usually the difference maker in games, that can match ANY QB. But at the same time, I'm disappointed because our losing of games comes on the heels of shooting ourselves in the foot time.

I feel we are as far as Daboll's play calling will take us. I think we need more speed at the CB, and LB positions for the defense. I think the state of the defense is what brought about the coaching decisions they made for those 13 seconds, and I feel showed what the ceiling we have on the defense for this team. This team needs an injection of talent to help us go for it. You saw other teams in a similar position of talent, make plays for bringing in talent to help bolster their team. I wish Bean would've done a lot more.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'm feeling okay, because we have shown we can play on the level of the best of the best, and we have a QB, usually the difference maker in games, that can match ANY QB. But at the same time, I'm disappointed because our losing of games comes on the heels of shooting ourselves in the foot time.

I feel we are as far as Daboll's play calling will take us. I think we need more speed at the CB, and LB positions for the defense. I think the state of the defense is what brought about the coaching decisions they made for those 13 seconds, and I feel showed what the ceiling we have on the defense for this team. This team needs an injection of talent to help us go for it. You saw other teams in a similar position of talent, make plays for bringing in talent to help bolster their team. I wish Bean would've done a lot more.
Allen’s cap hit next year is $16 mill. After that it pushes to $39 mill. So next season is when they can add them it’s managing the roster around Allen’s contract.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Josh Allen: Teams would be foolish to not offer Brian Daboll a job - ProFootballTalk

“I think teams would be foolish not to offer Brian Daboll a job,” Allen said, via Alaina Getzenberg of ESPN. “I’m praying they don’t, because I want him back here, but I love him and his family too much to really think that. I think he’s one of the best coaches in the league.”

Should Daboll move on, Allen said he would support quarterbacks coach Ken Dorsey taking over at offensive coordinator.

“I think every QB would love to be a part of that process and I do know there’s a guy in this building that I’m a huge advocate for [in Dorsey],” Allen said. “Again, it’s not my job. It’s not my decision to make.”

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
upload_2022-1-25_9-33-28.png

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
this L does honestly not feel too bad. obviously losing sucks, but it was basically just a coin toss. we should be just as good next year and hopefully tre makes a full recovery

I would feel that way if not for the 13 second defensive breakdown with two timeouts. The coverage was a disaster, from having 4 on the line, allowing both Kelce and Hill to run off the line freely, and having the safeties 40 yards away.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC

Allen saying exactly what I want to hear yet again. Sometimes I think this dude is a dream or something and I'm going to wake up and we're going to have Trent Edwards as our QB.

If he's supportive of Dorsey than I say lets go with Dorsey. He was huge in helping Newton develop his pocket presence which really put him over the top around 2015. Allen said he's been big for him in the past three years too so I say roll the dice.

Of course, who's to say he doesn't tag along with Daboll wherever he goes. We'll see what happens...

Reactions: Jim Bob

cbbb25

Jan 17, 2012
Everyone: bills looked great, the future is bright…too 2 or 3 team in the league

some Bills fans: this is awful, fire everyone, this was our only year

Let me tell you as a Bills and Leafs fan that the second option generally runs true. The next year/future is bright narrative has been with the Leafs now since they pushed Washington to 6 games in 2017 as rookies. lol its 2022 and the future is bright has been nothing but first round exits haha.

Judge all you want but as a fan of both im now putting the Bills in the Leafs camp. They just dont have the "it" factor that KC has or the Bruins have. I personally dont care much now for Leafs regular season or even 1st round since the expectation is they will lose. Couldnt care less about next years Bills team as well. Good enough to make it not good enough to win it all.

In the last decade

Leafs 4-1 hilarious game 7 collapse with under 10 minutes to go
Leafs 3-1 series lead against their historic rival when they were favoured to sweep or win in 5, they lose in 7 with game 7 in Toronto haha

Bills- 13 second game

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY

Somehow both better and worse?

Better because at least we have Allen and we're not stuck in a QB wasteland.

Worse because I've seen all the analysis of the defense's final plays in regulation and the overwhelming analysis is "what the ever loving **** were Frazier and McD thinking?"

I would've preferred losing because they were aggressive and Mahomes hit some insane bomb over the top at the end instead of basically gift-wrapping them the opportunity to tie.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Worse because I've seen all the analysis of the defense's final plays in regulation and the overwhelming analysis is "what the ever loving **** were Frazier and McD thinking?"

I would've preferred losing because they were aggressive and Mahomes hit some insane bomb over the top at the end instead of basically gift-wrapping them the opportunity to tie.

It seems like they may have been scared to death by the big punt return and TD catch and run that Hill made. It still doesn't make the decision making any better. But, I do think that Hill's playmaking ability is what really had them worried that they didn't have an answer for.

But, who knows...

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Allen saying exactly what I want to hear yet again. Sometimes I think this dude is a dream or something and I'm going to wake up and we're going to have Trent Edwards as our QB.

If he's supportive of Dorsey than I say lets go with Dorsey. He was huge in helping Newton develop his pocket presence which really put him over the top around 2015. Allen said he's been big for him in the past three years too so I say roll the dice.

Of course, who's to say he doesn't tag along with Daboll wherever he goes. We'll see what happens...

Well, if Dorsey is smart, he stays with Allen over staying with Daboll.

Staying with the Bills gives Dorsey way more power as an OC with a defensive minded head coach vs what would happen on Daboll's staff.

And Allen vs whomever is under center for the Giants...

:laugh:

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC

Same. I took today off work thinking I was going to be up late celebrating but the game was honestly too tense to even want to drink and after the end I just went home and promptly passed out as if I had been through a 65 minute football game personally.

Today has been nice to see the respect for Allen. Listened to Bill Simmons and Stepehen A. Smith respectively today and they were giving JA all the flowers. But I keep coming back to that ending and thinking about it and it's so stupid but I just have zero desire to do anything. This takes me back to being a middle-schooler and the Music City Miracle and the Hull No Goal all over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad