WJC: Division I-III

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
Highlights, thanks AT for the link!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/IHUKTV/videos

I admit, not a bad crowd for both games considering it's Scotland. Japan is a great skating team, not one of them looked bad in those highlights.

They had some local schools in for the first game and the kids were encouraged to cheer for one of the teams :)

France and Japan looked on a whole other level to the rest in terms of skating and passing.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Average height for team Japan is 5'8" or 173cm... Ukraine & Italy average heights are 6'0" or 183-184cm. Japans lack of physicality is always made up for with their speed.

That's why I always wish GB could be better skaters, international refs all but eliminate the physical game and GB players are usually skinny so playing the speed game is the way to go.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I saw that they demolished Ukraine 7-2, not sure what to make of that in context of the game. But if we can get something against Italy then I don't see why we can't try against Kazakhstan.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
I wouldn't have called that in a million years, nor would I call half of these icings

puck 2 inches behind the red line "OMGWTF ICING!!!!1111!1!"

International officials lol

GB players are throwing the puck up before the red line a lot though, still no idea what Selby was doing on that "pass" off the boards to Antonov, not even remotely close to him lol

Kiraly

Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, B.C.
WC U20 Warmup

Hungary-Slovenia: 5-4

Goals:
Hungary: Vilmos Gallo (3), Krisztian Nagy (2)
Slovenia: Zan Jezovsek, Vid Jazbec, Luka Vincec, Jure Stan

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Today more so than yesterday you could see Stewart being a step ahead of the other players on the GB side. He lost his temper at one point because it's gotta be a frustrating situation, especially after the laughable slashing call against him. As a '94 wearing an A, it's not exactly what you want to see but I find it understandable.

According to the IIHF website we had a total power play time of 8 minutes compared to Kazakhstan's 14. They score 5 PPG's as well.

They scored on a 5-on-3 the rest were one man advantage PP's.

Ye but did you see how piss poor the PP was? They couldn't even get in the zone compared to yesterday where they were playing well on the PP.

The PK giving up goals for GB is nothing new, especially when playing a better opponent. They're already playing a better team and that team now has a man advantage? It should be expected that they'll get scored on often in that situation. The PP on the other hand, you have 1 more player on the ice than the other team and you can't even get in the zone? It was brutal and you could see some frustrated players try to go hero mode through 4 guys at some point on the PP. Worse than the PK was also the discipline, which again is nothing new for GB. Don't get me wrong there were a lot of silly calls going against GB and the ref seemed to let the Kazakhs get away with a few more things but there were also a number of really dumb undisciplined penalties.

I didn't like that Duggan got moved off the Stewart PP line. I liked what he was doing with Stewart & Venus in game 1 and Chamberlain didn't do all that much on that line. Cownie & Hook are a creative duo and they've been playing with Chamberlain in IIHF events so why split it up now? May have been a 1 game shake up.

bobbeaver

Oct 7, 2013
On the Croatian team i wonder how will Milic and Jarcov as they are best scorers and assistants in EBjL (austrian u18 league)

ficohok*

On the Croatian team i wonder how will Milic and Jarcov as they are best scorers and assistants in EBjL (austrian u18 league)

It is not Milic, it is Milicic. They won't score much...U18 EBEL is step back for them, as they already were scoring in U20 EBEL last season.

We are going to get relegated to D2B, this team sucks at every position.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Hungary was a decent hockey nation back in the day, still it was an exhibition against Slovenia so perhaps nothing should be took from the result.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Denmark U20 beat Frölunda U20 in a pre-wc exhibition match today 3-2 after SO.

Denmark controlled the game afaik. Ehlers didn't play.

Oliver Bjorkstrand looked heavy, probably jetlagged.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Hungary was a decent hockey nation back in the day, still it was an exhibition against Slovenia so perhaps nothing should be took from the result.

Hungary looked really good last year against us, might've been the WHC though. Potential for a future Division I team similar in stature of Switzerland?

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
It's not like Slovenia is a powerhouse and the difference between our nations isn't that great, but we've traditionally done quite well in the U20's (always on the verge of making the World Juniors, but forever falling short), so I would've thought and hoped we'd have won the game. Certainly, it was an exhibition game, but the difference between the two countries seems to be decreasing both due to Slovenia getting worse and Hungary getting better. Both those changes might be small, but, as I said, we weren't overwhelmingly dominant to start with, so even small changes in the power levels can lead to results like the one at hand.

Or, you know, it was just one game, so whatever :dunno::laugh:

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Hungary looked really good last year against us, might've been the WHC though. Potential for a future Division I team similar in stature of Switzerland?
Well, with all due respect, looking good against GB doesn't say much :) And I hope you're not serious with them being at the level of Switzerland anytime soon.

Kiraly

Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, B.C.

Hungary played Britain in the WC and the U18 WC last year. Hungary already is a Division 1 nation at the senior level and could potentially become a Division 1 nation at the U18 & U20 levels.

Switzerland is an elite hockey nation at all levels. I think a better example would be that Hungary could potentially be in the same class as Slovenia, Italy, and Austria.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad