WJC: Division I-III

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
No other IIHF event has ever charged for live streams like this... ever.
I don't think that's even remotely true, because in the past I saw IIHF tournaments being charged this way. I can't really tell you from the top of my head which ones, though. But you have to pay for most, if not all IIHF events, you just usually don't have to do it on a game to game basis. Rather everything is included in a package you pay for (say, broadcasts via national TV channels and their websites).

Nor is it smart to. The entire point is too expose the game to a wider audience. If they think they're going to make bank off people buying live streams for a Div 1B tournament they're mistaken. That's coming from someone who looks forward to this tournament every year and follows the players going very closely (for the team I follow, GB). You use this tournament to grow the game, especially in a country like GB where you have little hockey interest as is. You throw this stream around on social media and you're more likely going to get some viewers you wouldn't normally get which opens the eyes of some sports fans that didn't have any interest in the sport... but no noob sports fan will watch if it isn't free.
This I totally agree with.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
I don't think that's even remotely true, because in the past I saw IIHF tournaments being charged this way. I can't really tell you from the top of my head which ones, though. But you have to pay for most, if not all IIHF events, you just usually don't have to do it on a game to game basis. Rather everything is included in a package you pay for (say, broadcasts via national TV channels and their websites).

This I totally agree with.

I've been watching quite a few of the lower divisions and the worst I've seen is no stream at all lol I've also seen links to "justin.tv" and the likes that were brutal quality but never have I ever come across a fee to watch this low of a level. Top division I wouldn't know because that's on TV here :laugh: I guess they could potentially sell streams and it would be viable because it might not be televised in some of the major countries the way it is in Canada.

Bugs me so much that GB would get an event that could help their growth, maybe not a ton but at least a little, and they piss away a huge opportunity to get the game out there. The only people who will pay are the people who really really really want to see the games, aka fans you already have :laugh: you might grow interest in Dumfries but that's 1 city in Scotland and Scotland produces few GB national team players compared to England. Pains me to see them finally get host and pull something like this.

The Monctonian (A major midget tournament in Eastern Canada) used live streams extremely well this season to reach a wider audience. It's a tournament for NB/PEI/NS/NL hockey teams, it also included a number of Ontario teams including Ontario Hockey Academy. They got the links out there and had many viewers around the world tuning in to see these kids you wouldn't normally get to see (without going to the rink and watching them). For me it worked well because I got to see some kids who will only be in my area 2 games this year and I know there are a ton of people who watched who said the same thing. Also nice for the friends and family to tune in and watch their kid if they're away from home. They had people tweeting in from all around the world saying they were watching player X from city Y and appreciated the stream.

Did I mention this bugs me? :sarcasm:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Well, Shevchuk stole a point for Ukrainians last year but this year it's 4-1 after 1st. Looks like easy victory in the books for Kazakhs already.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
Last edited:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Danish preliminary roster:
If I have written nothing after the team name they are from the Danish Al-Bank Liga.

Goalies:
George Sørensen, Herning.
Thomas Lillie, SønderJydskE
Nicolaj Henriksen, Esbjerg IK. (Danish 1'st division)

Defenders:
Sonny Hertzberg, Oskarshamn, Allsvenskan.
Mads Larsen, Malmø U20.
Anders Krogsgaard, Esbjerg.
Andreas Bødker Pedersen, Esbjerg.
Sebastian Andersen, Herning.
Bjørn Uldall, Herning.
Martin Larsen, Odense.
Rasmus Schultz Lyø, Odense.
Christoffer Lindhøj, Rungsted.

Forwards:
Nikolaj Ehlers, Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL.
Oliver Bjørkstrand, Portland Winterhawks, WHL.
Mads Eller, Edmonton Oil Kings, WHL.
Matthias Asperup, Malmø U20.
Kristoffer Lauridsen, Malmø U20.
Nick Olesen, Växjö U20.
Lasse Jul Korsgaard, Aalborg.
Mikkel Aagaard Hansen, Frederikshavn.
Christopher Frederiksen, Frederikshavn.
Mikkel Ankjær Nielsen, Odense.
Marcus Nielsen, Rungsted.
Emil Møller Rasmussen, Rødovre.
Nikolaj Zorko, Rødovre.
Søren Dau Mortensen, SønderjyskE.
Henrik Nielsen, SønderjyskE.

So the names to follow are goalie Georg Sørensen, defender Sonny Hertzberg and forwards Nikolaj Ehlers, Oliver Bjørkstrand, Mads Eller & Matthias Asperup.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Nice to see Kazakhstan seeing off Ukraine comfortably. Still kinda expect them to bottle the promotion.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
I'd love to see the reaction of one of the kids parents who can't make it to the tournament.

"So... I put my kid through hockey in this country, I spent X amount of dollars on his gear, registration, etc. and now I have to pay to watch him play for his country in his country when he was in Ukraine last year and it was free?"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad