WJC: Division I-III

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Figure there should be somewhere to discuss the lower division tournaments.

Wikipedia page that has results for all divisions

Division IA
December 15 - 21 in Sanok, Poland

Latvia
Belarus
Denmark
Slovenia
Austria
Poland

Division IB
December 9 - 15 in Dumfries, Scotland, UK

France
Kazakhstan
Italy
Ukraine
Great Britain
Japan

Division IIA
December 15 - 21 in Debrecen, Hungary

Croatia
Hungary
Romania
Netherlands
Lithuania
Estonia

Division IIB
January 11 - 17 in Jaca, Spain

Spain
South Korea
Serbia
Australia
Iceland
China

Division III
January 12 - 18 in Izmir, Turkey

Belgium
Bulgaria
New Zealand
Mexico
Turkey
South Africa

Last edited:

Klown

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
So, what players should we be watching?

Denmark should be able to take the step up to the top tier again. Nikolaj Ehlers and Oliver Bjorkstrand will be very important for them.

Also, I notice Liam Stewart is playing fo England. :handclap:

ficohok*

Division IIA
December 15 - 21 in Debrecen, Hungary

Croatia
Hungary
Romania
Netherlands
Lithuania
Estonia

After relegated from D1B last year, this season could be similiar for Croatia. Hungary, Romania, Netherlands and Lithuania are way stronger than us, our only chance is Estonia, but against Eesti we have had much trouble in the past at U20 and U18 level. Our D looks terrible and up front aside from Gjoni and Å akić nobody can score goals. All in all team looks "ready" to play in D2B next season.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Browsed through D1B and what's the story with Kazakhs not having Stanislav Zinchenko on their roster? With him on it Kazakhstan would look like favorites to win the division

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Browsed through D1B and what's the story with Kazakhs not having Stanislav Zinchenko on their roster? With him on it Kazakhstan would look like favorites to win the division

I've heard the rumor that Donbass didn't let him go. Also his teammate Khalikov is just as Kazakh and unfortunately wull still pursue dream to play for Russia.

Regarding my A team, not feeling confident whatsoever. Could use Zemgus' talents a lot to power through this competition. Danes look good, feeling that Belarus have pulled their stuff together.

Regarding my C team - Ukraine, they look as uninspiring as ever lately.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I've heard the rumor that Donbass didn't let him go.

Could their reasoning be that this makes it easier for Ukraine to beat Kazakhs? :laugh: That's the only reasoning I see behind this and that's hilarious :laugh:

Regarding Latvians - c'mon, Zemgus would help but you still have a strongest team by a country mile.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Could their reasoning be that this makes it easier for Ukraine to beat Kazakhs? :laugh: That's the only reasoning I see behind this and that's hilarious :laugh:

Regarding Latvians - c'mon, Zemgus would help but you still have a strongest team by a country mile.

Hell will freeze over before this Kazakh roster will lose to Ukraine. Too much skill on every line even without Zinchenko.

I know that our roster is good enough to win this tier, but am I confident about that without Zemgus and Bukarts? No, sir. Hopefully Merzlikins finally will deliver on international level as well, could add that little bit extra to get drafted.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Hell will freeze over before this Kazakh roster will lose to Ukraine. Too much skill on every line even without Zinchenko.

Oh I know, that's exactly what makes that line of thinking so hilarious. That means that Ukrainians actually believe they will be able to compete with Kazakhs for, supposedly, first place.

I know that our roster is good enough to win this tier, but am I confident about that without Zemgus and Bukarts? No, sir. Hopefully Merzlikins finally will deliver on international level as well, could add that little bit extra to get drafted.

What's the rule for the CHL clubs to release players for the international duties anyway? I thought Bukarts will be there, how come he won't?

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Oh I know, that's exactly what makes that line of thinking so hilarious. That means that Ukrainians actually believe they will be able to compete with Kazakhs for, supposedly, first place.

Honestly, I believe he simply might have a conflict with Kazakh hockey heads, hence the surprising transfer away from Barys as well.
What's the rule for the CHL clubs to release players for the international duties anyway? I thought Bukarts will be there, how come he won't?

I have no idea about CHL rules. If we would be playing in top tier, no doubt he would be released. But surprisingly he isn't among the candidates, just like Bindulis who is the only defensemen appearing in any pre-draft rankings.

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen
I have no idea about CHL rules. If we would be playing in top tier, no doubt he would be released. But surprisingly he isn't among the candidates, just like Bindulis who is the only defensemen appearing in any pre-draft rankings.

I believe all CHL players must be released for all IIHF sanctioned tournaments.

So, I have no idea why he wasn't selected...:help:

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
I believe all CHL players must be released for all IIHF sanctioned tournaments.

So, I have no idea why he wasn't selected...:help:

The players themselves can decline to go.

For example last year Tim Bozon declined to play for France, preferring to remain with the Kamloops Blazers. He's on the French preliminary roster this year, but I don't see him leaving Kootenay to go beat up on some lesser countries. Though that his father is the coach and his brother is also on the preliminary roster, but I doubt he's flying to Scotland for that.

Jesus Vitale

Formerly CPZ17
Nov 19, 2010
Pittsburgh
I think South Korea has a pretty good shot at being promoted. Their only real competition should be Spain and maybe Serbia. It'd be good for them for 2018 to show that their hockey programs are overall pretty competent to maybe get an automatic qualifying spot.(if they still do that)

ficohok*

I think South Korea has a pretty good shot at being promoted. Their only real competition should be Spain and maybe Serbia. It'd be good for them for 2018 to show that their hockey programs are overall pretty competent to maybe get an automatic qualifying spot.(if they still do that)

I do hope Korea will get promoted, so Croatia will have easier path for returning to D2A next season in D2B.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
So, what players should we be watching?

Denmark should be able to take the step up to the top tier again. Nikolaj Ehlers and Oliver Bjorkstrand will be very important for them.

Also, I notice Liam Stewart is playing fo England. :handclap:

He's playing for Great Britain. Not England. There are 3 Scottish players in the team.

Great Britain also selected 15 year old Sam Duggan

robbza

Oct 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
He's playing for Great Britain. Not England. There are 3 Scottish players in the team.

Great Britain also selected 15 year old Sam Duggan

Liam Stewart is also the son of a "Scot"

Wow 15, is he amazing or is our junior team ****? (answered this myself 26 points in 5 games)

Last edited:

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
After relegated from D1B last year, this season could be similiar for Croatia. Hungary, Romania, Netherlands and Lithuania are way stronger than us, our only chance is Estonia, but against Eesti we have had much trouble in the past at U20 and U18 level. Our D looks terrible and up front aside from Gjoni and Å akić nobody can score goals. All in all team looks "ready" to play in D2B next season.

What's the status of hockey in Croatia, in general? Do people go to watch those matches of Medveseak (sp)? Or are they only interested in following Dynamo Zagreb's uphill battles in Europe and domestic dominance... (There surely are no "ultras" among Croatian hockey fans. I guess. )

ficohok*

What's the status of hockey in Croatia, in general? Do people go to watch those matches of Medveseak (sp)? Or are they only interested in following Dynamo Zagreb's uphill battles in Europe and domestic dominance... (There surely are no "ultras" among Croatian hockey fans. I guess. )

Of course they go to Medvescak matches :) Medvescak is among top 20 clubs in Europe in attendance in past few seasons :)

Dinamo Zagreb have very little fans, no interest. Mafia boss, too strong for Croatia, too weak for Europe.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
So pissed right now that Div IB will have a stream but it will cost a lot for a live stream. I follow GB hockey a lot more than the average North American but even I can't justify paying $10 per game for a live stream... Not impressed.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Always great to hear about the lower countries being involved in hockey. Great to see countries like Mexico and Spain being involved with hockey.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
So pissed right now that Div IB will have a stream but it will cost a lot for a live stream. I follow GB hockey a lot more than the average North American but even I can't justify paying $10 per game for a live stream... Not impressed.

Where did you see that?

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
First game of the lower divisions start tomorrow at 13.00GMT/08.00EST/05.00PST, with Ukraine playing Kazakhstan.

I haven't been able to find a stream of the tournament yet, but if anyone can find one, I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one who would be appreciative.

Am still deciding if I will post the results in the first post, but I'm thinking I may just link to the Wikipedia page, which will likely be updated faster than I can, and with more results.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
First game of the lower divisions start tomorrow at 13.00GMT/08.00EST/05.00PST, with Ukraine playing Kazakhstan.

I haven't been able to find a stream of the tournament yet, but if anyone can find one, I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one who would be appreciative.

Am still deciding if I will post the results in the first post, but I'm thinking I may just link to the Wikipedia page, which will likely be updated faster than I can, and with more results.

They're $10USD per game:
http://www.icehockeyuk.co.uk/u20-world-championship-live-webcasts-p189065

Hopefully someone streams it for free because of how silly it is that they're selling streams to an IIHF event.

Ukraine team & their fans should be insulted. Last year they streamed it for free when they hosted and now GB hosts and they're expected to pay that much per game?

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Hopefully someone streams it for free because of how silly it is that they're selling streams to an IIHF event.
That's pretty expensive, but I don't get why the fact that it's an IIHF event has any bearing on it has any significance. Every other tournament by other organizations is being paid for, as well (FIFA, FIBA events etc.)

Ukraine team & their fans should be insulted. Last year they streamed it for free when they hosted and now GB hosts and they're expected to pay that much per game?
OK, no need to exaggerate. No one needs to be insulted.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
That's pretty expensive, but I don't get why the fact that it's an IIHF event has any bearing on it has any significance. Every other tournament by other organizations is being paid for, as well (FIFA, FIBA events etc.)

OK, no need to exaggerate. No one needs to be insulted.

No other IIHF event has ever charged for live streams like this... ever.

Nor is it smart to. The entire point is too expose the game to a wider audience. If they think they're going to make bank off people buying live streams for a Div 1B tournament they're mistaken. That's coming from someone who looks forward to this tournament every year and follows the players going very closely (for the team I follow, GB). You use this tournament to grow the game, especially in a country like GB where you have little hockey interest as is. You throw this stream around on social media and you're more likely going to get some viewers you wouldn't normally get which opens the eyes of some sports fans that didn't have any interest in the sport... but no noob sports fan will watch if it isn't free.

Random sports fan in England turns it on and see's Rod Stewarts son is playing for GB, it could peak their interest lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad