Division-centric sites for season resumption - reported to be Edmonton and Toronto

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I think the playoff rounds should be shorter this year to give some more breathing room to stage as many games as possible next year

The 2020-2021 season can not happen until there's a vaccine or widespread herd immunity. And neither are close right now.

This whole bubble playoff model is happening because of a fairly specific set of circumstances. The season was far enough along that the players earned all but their last paycheque (players voted to forego that cheque in order to reduce escrow). Player salary is the league's biggest expense - 50% of all HRR goes to salaries. So for the playoffs the league doesn't pay players, but does get all that money from TV rights. It's almost pure profit.

When it comes to next season though, the league has to pay players again. But the league is very dependent on ticket sales - much more than MLB/NFL/NBA. The league can not afford to go without fans in the seats.

Which is why the league is okay with delaying next season - they hope that with a delay they'll be able to have a season at all.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Las Vegas is on the list of places where the Republicans are looking to potentially relocate their convention in August.
Trump says GOP forced to find new state to host convention as North Carolina stands by coronavirus measures - CNNPolitics

Can't imagine the NHL would want to be in the same vicinity given the heightened risk of coronavirus due to people coming in from all over the country. And given the current unrest there may be significant protest action going on as well.

Another place the Republicans are looking at is Orlando.. where the NBA was rumoured to be interested in. If the NBA needs another "home" perhaps they look at Vegas.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Another place the Republicans are looking at is Orlando.. where the NBA was rumoured to be interested in. If the NBA needs another "home" perhaps they look at Vegas.
Technically, the NBA would be quarantining everyone in Kissimmee at the Wide World Of Sports complex. It's 20 miles from Amway Center, where I'd guess the convention would be.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
NHL will most likely be quarantined at south end of Strip. Any convention would probably be clustered nearer north end of Strip closer to convention center, 3-4 miles north.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
I would absolutely hate to see the calendar shifted to a Dec-Aug season as Mirtle suggests.

The schedule is perfect to me, as there's always either hockey or baseball happening. April and October are the 2 best months of the year, and I don't want to watch hockey in July and August in non-pandemic years.

Reactions: WanderingCapsFan

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
I would absolutely hate to see the calendar shifted to a Dec-Aug season as Mirtle suggests.

The schedule is perfect to me, as there's always either hockey or baseball happening. April and October are the 2 best months of the year, and I don't want to watch hockey in July and August in non-pandemic years.

I think November-mid July would be decent shift imo. Having Conference Finals and Cup Final happening in June-July might be something the TV networks prefer over May-June considering May sweeps in TV are still important and a big deal.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
All the NHL cares about is maximizing the time that they can have fans back in the stadium. A half full stadium in June is far better than an empty stadium in November.

Not likely the league would break even if they are playing regular season games without fans. Is there any summary out there of what the local TV deals in each market are? My impression is that the teams most likely to lose money are even more dependent on gate revenues than teams in large markets.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005

My team is at no risk of playing in July or August so I don't really care. Pretty sure NHL will want to avoid competing vs Olympics late July-August.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
All the NHL cares about is maximizing the time that they can have fans back in the stadium. A half full stadium in June is far better than an empty stadium in November.

Not likely the league would break even if they are playing regular season games without fans. Is there any summary out there of what the local TV deals in each market are? My impression is that the teams most likely to lose money are even more dependent on gate revenues than teams in large markets.

Forbes lists estimated gates receipts and total revenues for each team:

Florida Panthers on the Forbes The Business of Hockey List

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
NHL will test players daily, if/when season resumes

Bettman says players will be tested daily.

It was millions for twice weekly testing, so that will raise the cost 3.5 times. Perhaps $10m or so.

Still haven't heard status of some players with diabetes and asthma, etc., that some pundits were speculating about whether they'd report.

I’d venture to guess that top level athletes would be well controlled with their diabetes and shouldn’t have any higher chance of complications of the rona or catching it than a normal person.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Those numbers seem very off. If the Panthers have gate receipts of $17m, where does the remaining $88m come from?

The Panthers averaged 13,262 fans per game in 2018/2019. That would put the average ticket price at $31. Is it really that cheap?

NHL Fan Cost Index uses average price of $37:

Tableau Public

37 x 543 734 fans is around 20 millions. Forbes lists $42 as average price for a ticket. Gate Receipts has a footnote (6) but I can't find the actual details. Luxury suits could be included or something. Anyway in these estimations as we don't really know how many tickets within each price category are sold which will influence gates receipts.

You can have an average price of $100 but if most fans are buying the $20 ticket, your gate receipts will be far below average price * number of fans.

Last edited:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Paywall. LeBrun checked with 24 qualifying round teams as to when they plan to open training facility. Some teams have majority of players who stuck around and will be opening as soon as Monday. Others have handful of guys and will wait some time before opening. Canadian teams concerned over quarantine requirements.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005

So not firm, yet.

Even if players are not paid much over playoffs, they will still require some sort of compensation which I believe will eat into NHLPA 50% share. Unless both sides agree to other terms.

With other hockey leagues done, teams definitely need more players to offset potential injuries/COVID. Unless we want a bunch of emergency Zamboni drivers as backups. ;)

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Players get no salary in the playoffs. But there is a bonus system throughout the four rounds of playoffs.

Not exactly sure what they'll do with the 8 teams that don't advance from the qualifying round to the playoffs, if there will be any bonus or anything.

(The bonus levels are Conference QF participants, Conference SF participants, Conference finals participants, Stanley Cup Final participant, Stanley Cup Final winner)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad