Disregarding salary, who is the ideal winger for Crosby?

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Ovechkin is the best right-shooting winger in the game and he has been for some time and he will be for some time more. There's nothing more to it than that. He and Sid would flat out dominate and along with Kunitz would be the best line in hockey. Elias... please.

Have you ever watch Ovechkin play the game? His style doesn't mesh with Sid's, that's pretty obvious. They would produce, but he is far from the best fit possible. There is more to hockey than scoring goals you know. Sid is a 200-feet player and he excels with other 200-feet players.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Have you ever watch Ovechkin play the game? His style doesn't mesh with Sid's, that's pretty obvious. They would produce, but he is far from the best fit possible. There is more to hockey than scoring goals you know. Sid is a 200-feet player and he excels with other 200-feet players.

Meh. Having a guy who is naturally pass first defer to a guy who is naturally shoot first, and has an ability to find areas to get shots off better than most...yeah, that'd be pretty awesome to watch.

And AO isn't bad defensively.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Meh. Having a guy who is naturally pass first defer to a guy who is naturally shoot first, and has an ability to find areas to get shots off better than most...yeah, that'd be pretty awesome to watch.

And AO isn't bad defensively.

There is "bad" and then there is Ovechkin bad. He is a liability when he doesn't have the puck. It has gotten worse in the last two years. Ironically, his numbers have risen since then.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
There is "bad" and then there is Ovechkin bad. He is a liability when he doesn't have the puck. It has gotten worse in the last two years. Ironically, his numbers have risen since then.
I don't even care about defense that much. He doesn't even give his defensemen an out, he seems like he's turned a bad situation into a worse one in Washington and he's a fat ass.

He doesn't control plays, doesn't make his line mates better and the last time I checked he was well into Dec with only 1 even strength assist. I'm hoping that last one is some bad info I've gotten but it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I don't even care about defense that much. He doesn't even give his defensemen an out, he seems like he's turned a bad situation into a worse one in Washington and he's a fat ass.

He doesn't control plays, doesn't make his line mates better and the last time I checked he was well into Dec with only 1 even strength assist. I'm hoping that last one is some bad info I've gotten but it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Oh he was stuck at one before getting one against MTL last Saturday :laugh:

He must be at 3 or 4 now. Still that's pretty pathetic for a guy of his skill level.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Pure fantasy: Corey Perry - Not sure I need to explain.

Realistic Cap: Dustin Brown. His style of play and speed would compliment that RW spot. Kuntiz has proven he can finish, Brown can create a lot of space, win the gritty battles and consistently puts up 20+ on a team that lacks offense. Huge plus for when we plays teams like Boston.

Letang for Brown+

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
If Shero traded Letang for Dustin Brown he should be fired on the spot. Brown is barely better than Dupuis at this point and that contract is atrocious.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
I disagree. Brown's game is pretty effective. Not talking about scoring potential, which will probably explode playing with Sid, just overall playing capability. 5.8 isn't a terrible cap. And yeah, the Kings would have to add.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I disagree. Brown's game is pretty effective. Not talking about scoring potential, which will probably explode playing with Sid, just overall playing capability. 5.8 isn't a terrible cap. And yeah, the Kings would have to add.

I'm talking about overall playing capability as well. Brown hits a lot, but he has the skillset of a third liner. That's why he's currently playing on the King's third line.

And what is essentially 5.9M for 8 years for a guy that's already regressing is pretty bad.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
This is 100% truth and this coming from someone who just watched him play 10 rows from the ice.

He has been HORRIBAD!
How good is Kope though? I wouldn't be surprised if he wins a Selke one day.

What do you guys think of Vanek? Elite hands but there's just something that makes me think he wouldn't fit the Pens style. Moulson too.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
I have to agree with Waffle Fries. I'd love a player like Brent Burns playing on the right side with Crosby. He has the talent offensively, the size, the grit, and his skating ability.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I'm sorry but Crosby's ideal winger is not a 200-foot player. Ovechkin or Stamkos would challenge Gretzky's 92 if they had Crosby at center for 82 games. Crosby can work with a lot of different levels of talent on his wing, different styles, etc. But ideal? A guy who can just flat-out score goals would be sick with Sid.

Come on people.

ObsessedCreative*

How good is Kope though? I wouldn't be surprised if he wins a Selke one day.

What do you guys think of Vanek? Elite hands but there's just something that makes me think he wouldn't fit the Pens style. Moulson too.

Both are too slow IMHO and not to mention, MM especially, are pretty 1 dimensional and if they aren't scoring they aren't doing much and often times hurting the team. Not to mention Vanek is way too expensive and I would never want to pay MM $$$ or term he will be seeking. No to both.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'm sorry but Crosby's ideal winger is not a 200-foot player. Ovechkin or Stamkos would challenge Gretzky's 92 if they had Crosby at center for 82 games. Crosby can work with a lot of different levels of talent on his wing, different styles, etc. But ideal? A guy who can just flat-out score goals would be sick with Sid.

Come on people.

Parise and Perry are also really good goal scorers.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
-5 tonight. Just FYI.

So? +/- is the most irrelevant stat

He has definitely gotten worse in the last 2 years, and a lot of that is just because he's not motivated. I've seen a motivated AO, and he can be a puck hound on a backcheck when he's feeling it.

AO needs a change of scenery I think. And let's be serious, does Sid's ideal winger have to be a stellar defensive player? He really doesn't.

SteelFish87*

Actually OV would be the best possible winger for Crosby for obvious reasons

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I like that we are not just making absolute statements and hitting each other over the head with those. Great discussion...

Personally, I think Crosby and Ovechkin are too individually talented not to be frequently awesome together. For the Pens as a team though, I think there are a few other players who would do more for us to win hockey games in general and not least when it matters. Also as regards helping Sid fight through tough defensive matchups.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
People don't give credit for Ovy's speed but I would love to see THAT w/ Sid's speed. Yikes... defenses would be pissing themselves.

I'm still sticking with Perry because I want to see those two in a playoff series cycling around the best d-men/shutdown forwards the game has to offer. My GOD it would be sexy.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
People don't give credit for Ovy's speed but I would love to see THAT w/ Sid's speed. Yikes... defenses would be pissing themselves.

I'm still sticking with Perry because I want to see those two in a playoff series cycling around the best d-men/shutdown forwards the game has to offer. My GOD it would be sexy.

OV for Letang.

Ray Ray, get it done.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig