Speculation: ''Disgrace of hockey'' Radulov thread |Will the prodigal son return to his papa Roy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
You know how everybody says Crosby started a trend of wearing his number because of his birth year. Well, fun fact... Radulov is actually the one who started the trend.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Wait a minute...
2827fd58faed4e115f9b415f950e1bfa.jpeg

Al Gore was right! Alex Radulov is Manbearpig

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Mikhail is Misha too isn't it?

Got really quiet on the Rads front, no? Like you know who quiet.

That would be correct.

Don't really know what the diminutive of Nikita is though. I never met or came across any Nikitas when I worked and lived there...not that I recall anyway. or if I met any I didn't get to know them well enough to use the informal deviations of Russian names.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Nikita doesn't have an abbreviated version, I've heard some say Nikitushka, which is more of a term of endearment. The deminutive of my name in Russian would be Vanya. And Vanja is an unisex given name in Croatian. Slavic languages are funny that way, they borrow a lot from each other, but there are always small deviations to the theme.

A lot of names that seem completely Slavic, are actually taken from languages like Greek (Ivan), ancient Norse (Igor) and Latin.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
With each passing day i'm truly hoping Avs stay away from Radulov, he's just not what this team needs right now. A lot of this team's problems are being mentally fragile, lack of leadership issues, and Radulov just doesn't strike me as the right leader or the character for this team.

Roy has already called out MacKinnon saying his mind is else where or whatnot and Duchene for that celebration, last thing this team needs is Roy starting to baby sit Radulov and his crazy ways.

Roy may have wanted Radulov early last year, but the way the season went for them, i doubt Roy and Sakic want him now. They talked about fixing the d again, and i hope that's exactly what they do and just stay away from Radulov

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
With each passing day i'm truly hoping Avs stay away from Radulov, he's just not what this team needs right now. A lot of this team's problems are being mentally fragile, lack of leadership issues, and Radulov just doesn't strike me as the right leader or the character for this team.

Roy has already called out MacKinnon for saying his mind is else where or whatnot and Duchene for that celebration, last thing this team needs is Roy starting to baby sit Radulov and his crazy ways.

Roy may have wanted Radulov early last year, but the way the season went for them, i doubt Roy and Sakic want him now. They talked about fixing the d again, and i hope that's exactly what they do and just stay away from Radulov

That's ok. I'd think that way to, if I didn't know much about Rads and just bought into the crap that gets recycled every time NAs bring him up. Radulov would give this team a boost of exactly the kind of the unrelenting-self-belief and unbridled-passion that this team needs; the same way that "just don't piss them off" Pete-n-Pat were such a great yin to pokerface Joe's yang in the Golden-Age team's core.

Our current model needs more of that arrogance, more willingness to be dicks to make what-needs-to-happen happen, and this team needs more stars who's (unhealthy) refusal to accept failure borders on the insane. We've got some guys who can get that way when you piss them off, but who don't play that way normally. Having someone like Rads as one of our stars wouldn't just give the team his fieriness, but it could also rile those guys like EJ; who have that "****-you-i-won't-do-what-you-tell-me!!!!" higher gear that they kick into when playing angry; up.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
That's ok. I'd think that way to, if I didn't know much about Rads and just bought into the crap that gets recycled every time NAs bring him up.

Because it is only our NA posters who have raised concerns and not some fairly well respected Euro posters as well

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I get that there's nobody we could add as talented as Rads and adding him instantly makes next year more fun and interesting but tbh it's just another patch to mask our problems. Plus we don't know how it's going to work out and the financial impact. I'm not trying to poopoo it but it's definitely a short term yay than a long term one. It has nothing to do with his personality or whatever.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Because it is only our NA posters who have raised concerns and not some fairly well respected Euro posters as well

Mighty fine strawman you've got yourself there.

I get that there's nobody we could add as talented as Rads and adding him instantly makes next year more fun and interesting but tbh it's just another patch to mask our problems. Plus we don't know how it's going to work out and the financial impact. I'm not trying to poopoo it but it's definitely a short term yay than a long term one.

I'mma have to disagree with you here Yackie. He could have a really big (and positive) impact on the mentality of this core; as well potentially having a similar influence to the one Jagr's had in helping those young Panthers realize how talented they were.

Plus bringing-in/developing-talent is easier when your big league team is making noise. Kids don't need to be rushed as much, there's less holes to patch with futures, your organization becomes a more attractive destination, etc.

Last edited:

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Ok well, i guess we can agree to disagree. IMO this team needs more of a Toews style of player (leader) than a Radulov if we're talking strictly leadership, giving the team that leadership boost or whatnot.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA

Wasn't intended to be a strawman. You seem to be the resident expert here, so of course I'll bow to your knowledge over my obvious ignorance, but are you saying that those Euro posters (that I at least respect) are just recycling the same as NAs? You seemed to specifically isolate it in your posts as being a NA bias based on lack of knowledge.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

I'mma have to disagree with you here Yackie. He could have a really big (and positive) impact on the mentality of this core; as well potentially having a similar influence to the one Jagr's had in helping those young Panthers realize how talented they were.

Plus bringing-in/developing-talent is easier when your big league team is making noise. Kids don't need to be rushed as much, there's less holes to patch with futures, your organization becomes a more attractive destination, etc.

They need to get to using the kids. Just rip the damn bandaid off. This pretending that they are some sort of one or two players away from being a solid playoff team has to stop. If they have Rads are they going to push that they are "going for it" again. It's been a mistake to ease the kids, not that I just want them thrown into the fire but from the standpoint that they think using untrustworthy kids hurts their chances rather than helps them. This organization is near the brink of a real crisis and refuses to look at the reality of their situation. I know they aren't so dense they don't see that the D still isn't good enough but it's starting to feel like for me they don't really know what to do about it. Sakic and Roy only have a couple years left, who us going to be left holding the bag? I'm not saying don't sign him but that's why I'm not exactly overjoyed about it. There's too many parallels to Iggy. I know Rads is a ton better but the mentality of the add is too similar to me. I'm not saying an org that's trying to improve shouldn't add FAs but he has no future here, it's just a distraction to what's going on around us.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Wasn't intended to be a strawman. You seem to be the resident expert here, so of course I'll bow to your knowledge over my obvious ignorance, but are you saying that those Euro posters (that I at least respect) are just recycling the same as NAs? You seemed to specifically isolate it in your posts as being a NA bias based on lack of knowledge.

You're misunderstanding my point, that part of my sentence was about how it gets regurgitated every time Rads is discussed over here. Not that it's only people over here who take issue with the way Radulov handles the press, or how he has struggled in the past with keeping his passion/emotions in check, or that he was a dick as a younger player, or that he can still be an ***hole, or that he won't have a problem being the bad-cop in a locker-room and kicking a garbage can when it's needed...

...even though, with how many different times I've seen younger team-mates of his talk about how his encouragement helping them find their confidence; it's hard to believe he's always in bad-cop mode, a la torts.

They need to get to using the kids. Just rip the damn bandaid off. This pretending that they are some sort of one or two players away from being a solid playoff team has to stop. If they have Rads are they going to push that they are "going for it" again. It's been a mistake to ease the kids, not that I just want them thrown into the fire but from the standpoint that they think using untrustworthy kids hurts their chances rather than helps them. This organization is near the brink of a real crisis and refuses to look at the reality of their situation. I know they aren't so dense they don't see that the D still isn't good enough but it's starting to feel like for me they don't really know what to do about it. Sakic and Roy only have a couple years left, who us going to be left holding the bag? I'm not saying don't sign him but that's why I'm not exactly overjoyed about it. There's too many parallels to Iggy. I know Rads is a ton better but the mentality of the add is too similar to me.

We agree on a lot of this. But I just don't see how adding a real difference maker at a position of need...which will remain a need even if we do turn to the youth...constitutes a bandaid. *shrug* We need to trust our kids, and add talent to this team.

Last edited:

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
You're misunderstanding my point, that part of my sentence was about how it gets regurgitated every time Rads is discussed over here. Not that it's only people over here who take issue with the way Radulov handles the press, or how he has struggled in the past with keeping his passion/emotions in check, or that he was a dick as a younger player, or that he can still be an ***hole, or that he won't have a problem being the bad-cop in a locker-room and kicking a garbage can when it's needed...

...even though, with how many different times I've seen younger team-mates of his talk about how his encouragement helping them find their confidence; it's hard to believe he's always in bad-cop mode, a la torts.

And you seem to be continually telling people who express their concerns that they are doing so because they only know what has been regurgitated, as if it all stems from pure misinformation, so it is what it is.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
They need to get to using the kids. Just rip the damn bandaid off. This pretending that they are some sort of one or two players away from being a solid playoff team has to stop. If they have Rads are they going to push that they are "going for it" again. It's been a mistake to ease the kids, not that I just want them thrown into the fire but from the standpoint that they think using untrustworthy kids hurts their chances rather than helps them. This organization is near the brink of a real crisis and refuses to look at the reality of their situation. I know they aren't so dense they don't see that the D still isn't good enough but it's starting to feel like for me they don't really know what to do about it. Sakic and Roy only have a couple years left, who us going to be left holding the bag? I'm not saying don't sign him but that's why I'm not exactly overjoyed about it. There's too many parallels to Iggy. I know Rads is a ton better but the mentality of the add is too similar to me. I'm not saying an org that's trying to improve shouldn't add FAs but he has no future here, it's just a distraction to what's going on around us.

We have no idea what his future would be. He could stay here another 10 years. It could be just one though.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
And you seem to be continually telling people who express their concerns that they are doing so because they only know what has been regurgitated, as if it all stems from pure misinformation, so it is what it is.

Depends on what people complain about. If folks wanna talk about any of those actual topics, I'd be down. I react less cordially to vague repetitions of russian stereotypes.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Depends on what people complain about. If folks wanna talk about any of those actual topics, I'd be down. I react less cordially to vague repetitions of russian stereotypes.

You take great pride in your non-cordial ways and have mentioned them a few times of late, so I'm sure before he signs you'll have lots more opportunities for both approaches.

I'll go back to just reading all the debate I think since I only have indirect reference to Radulov since he left the league

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad