Speculation: ''Disgrace of hockey'' Radulov thread |Will the prodigal son return to his papa Roy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Team Russia has a contagious groin injury? Nobody else from the Avs (beside Varly and Radulov :sarcasm:) made the team right?

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
"-sha" is a diminutive suffix in Russian and the "Sa" comes from Aleksander. Comparable of calling an Alexander Sandy instead of Alex.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Educate a moron here but how do the Russians nickname their Alexanders Sasha?

All Russian names have diminutives Alexander = Sasha, Pavel = Pasha, Evgeny = Zhenya, Vyachaslav = Slava etc. etc.

girls' names as well. Maria = Masha, Ekaterina = Katya etc. etc.

Full names are formal and the diminutive forms are more informal....

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Saša is a deminutive and a term of endearment for Aleksandar/Alexandar (male) and Aleksandra/Alexandra (female) in all of the Slavic languages, not just in Russian. It is also used as a given name in Croatia and Serbia for both genders (more often for boys).

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
All Russian names have diminutives Alexander = Sasha, Pavel = Pasha, Evgeny = Zhenya, Vyachaslav = Slava etc. etc.

girls' names as well. Maria = Masha, Ekaterina = Katya etc. etc.

Full names are formal and the diminutive forms are more informal....

I got one of those even though I don't have a tradional russian name. My name's Benjamin, but growing up everyone called me Benya.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I don't know a single Alexander who goes by Sandy. Then again I know Richard's who go by Dick so who knows.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don't know a single Alexander who goes by Sandy. Then again I know Richard's who go by Dick so who knows.

*shrug* My uncle is an Alexander who goes by Sasha

EDIT: whoops read "Sandy" as "Sasha" :laugh:

Mikhail is Misha too isn't it?

Got really quiet on the Rads front, no? Like you know who quiet.

Yep. My dad's is a Mikhail, and folks who don't use his nickname call him Misha. Same thing for Dmitri becoming Dima, Konstantin becoming Kostya, Sergei becoming Seryozja...how the hell do you spell that in english?..., etc.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Oh god no. You're not saying that...they finally discovered that Rads is just poorly-shaved bear, are you?

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Saša is a deminutive and a term of endearment for Aleksandar/Alexandar (male) and Aleksandra/Alexandra (female) in all of the Slavic languages, not just in Russian. It is also used as a given name in Croatia and Serbia for both genders (more often for boys).

In Russian usually there is one common diminutive form per name, while name 'Alexandr' has really a lot of diminutive forms: Sasha, Sanya, Shura and derivatives of those.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
With Alexander (or Aleksander), the first syllable that lends itself to a -sha suffix is the Sa-, hence Sasha. Alsha and Exsha dont really work :) I have heard many diminutives for Alexander. Alex, Alec, Al, Allie, Lex, Lexie, Aleksan, Sandy, Xander, Sasha, Sander, Andy, Ander, Lexa....that's all I remember for now, but I am sure there are more, not including the ones above that I have not heard before, Shura and Sanya.

My name is Alexander, btw.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
With Alexander (or Aleksander), the first syllable that lends itself to a -sha suffix is the Sa-, hence Sasha. Alsha and Exsha dont really work :) I have heard many diminutives for Alexander. Alex, Alec, Al, Allie, Lex, Lexie, Aleksan, Sandy, Xander, Sasha, Sander, Andy, Ander, Lexa....that's all I remember for now, but I am sure there are more, not including the ones above that I have not heard before, Shura and Sanya.

My name is Alexander, btw.

Of the four letter variety I'm sure. :naughty:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad