Discussion: Will Tom Sestito Make The Team?

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
100% agree. :clap:

If Sestito wasn't in the lineup last year, I wonder how many of those scraps would have involved Kassian or Bieksa instead??

I don't want guys like that to risk breaking a hand/finger/face fighting Brian McGratton or Luke Gazdic. That's Sestito's job.

Dorsett makes Sestito redundant though. Dorsett is a better fighter IMO, and a much better hockey player.

JerkChicken

Jun 18, 2008
South Sound
5 goals and 4 assists is decent for an enforcer playing limited minutes.
But if we're going to roll 4 lines he needs to improve his skating and conditioning. I thought he looked gassed after every shift. It sounds like he may be in better shape this year.

And really...THIS should be worth 2 goals. One for putting the puck in the net, and another for the priceless Yakupov-trolling celebration that followed.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
Hansen is a better player. Said as much. Sadly his worst season came in the season where he played top 6 and often top line minutes, which to me is worse.

The one game Sestito had shifts with the Twins that I recall I believe he contributed to goals.

I'll stop replying though, let some others weigh in.

That happens to everyone, they turned Byron Bitz into a first liner for a game too, and he's 10x worse than Sestito.

:laugh:

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Better hockey player - undoubtedly.

Better fighter - not vs heavy weights

Sestito lost to Dorsett...

But looking over Dorsett's history, I suppose you're right. He doesn't really fight the heavyweights, and when he does he hasn't been too successful.

JerkChicken

Jun 18, 2008
South Sound
Sestito lost to Dorsett...

But looking over Dorsett's history, I suppose you're right. He doesn't really fight the heavyweights, and when he does he hasn't been too successful.

Is that a fact? I didn't see the official fight scoreboard.

In my opinion...I didn't see anything in that video to suggest that Sestito lost to Dorsett (or vice-versa). They both landed a few punches, then the refs came in.

Looked like a pretty clear draw to me.

Bottom line, Dorsett is going to have a long, painful year if he has to fight McGratton & co on any sort of regular basis.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Kassian quite clearly isn't our Lucic, so yes I hope he is on the team as the 13th forward. Those who say you don't need someone of his ilk are the ones off their rocker - not the other way around. Well, as long as the NHL is it's usual cheap-shotting self anyways.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
In my opinion...I didn't see anything in that video to suggest that Sestito lost to Dorsett (or vice-versa). They both landed a few punches, then the refs came in.

I'd give the decision to Dorsett. It looked like Sestito's legs buckled at 0:19. I think that's why he went into a clinch.

JerkChicken

Jun 18, 2008
South Sound
I'd give the decision to Dorsett. It looked like Sestito's legs buckled at 0:19. I think that's why he went into a clinch.

And I saw it as a draw. I don't see anyone's legs buckling. To each their own.

This site contradicts what Y2Kcanucks posted earlier. The majority say Sestito won, closely followed by a draw. http://hockey-fights.com/fightlog/details.php?id=10472

That's why these hockey fight websites are a joke. It's mainly fan-boys homer voting their own guys. There can be a fight where a guy gets tuned up and doesn't even land a punch and he still gets 20% of the 'WIN' votes.

arsmaster*

Dorsett makes Sestito redundant though. Dorsett is a better fighter IMO, and a much better hockey player.
A better fighter, sure when fighting francis bouillion lol

That's like saying a guy who only fights 12 year old kids is a better fighter than a professional boxer who loses to other professionals.

Also interesting is that this vastly surperior hockey player produces roughly the same amount of offense. Also makes close to 3 times as much salary.

How many soft skill guys are we looking to play with.

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014
At this point I think he'll be dressed vs. goon line-ups like Calgary, and fill in for injuries. I think he has the potential to earn a full time spot, but we have more bottom 6 depth than last year so it'll be unlikely.

Sestito
Kassian
Bieksa
Dorsett

Good toughness depth against teams with nothing to lose. If the refs don't give him BS penalties like last year we should be fine...

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yep. Sestito is worth keeping around for those goon laden tank team games but otherwise press box fodder.

Why?

The two answers we always get are 'well, otherwise their heavyweight will run around causing trouble!!' and 'well who's going to fight their heavyweight then?'

Both are rubbish.

McGrattan or whoever runs around just as much whether an opposing goon is dressed or not, and Sestito didn't stop Alberts from getting clocked last year. Statistics show that injuries actually go *up* when you dress a goon, for the record. And if we don't have Sestito, McGrattan probably doesn't even dress.

Similarly, there is no correlation between not dressing a goon and other players fighting more. McGrattan only fights goons. If we don't have a goon dressed, he fights no one. Again, we recently went two years without a goon, and this 'top players fighting goons' problem simply didn't happen.

Oh, and Kevin Bieksa had a career high in fights last year, with Sestito dressing every game.

Yeah, you have to almost wonder sometimes if the "goons are a waste " crowd just started watching hockey, or at least spend too much time breaking down corsi data to understand the real life requirements for putting together a cohesive TEAM.

I've been hearing for 30 years now that the goon was going the way of the dodo, but they're still around (and I don't consider Sestito a pure goon, he's a reasonably effective role player). Talking about our President Trophy teams would be relevant if the league reset officiating standards back to those years, but they're not going to.

I don't think there's any doubt Sestito makes the squad as a "13" forward that will dress when a bigger body is needed to match up against some of the heavyweights we will see this season.

Maybe when there is an overabundance of pure skill players in the world the league will move to a no contact brand of hockey. It would suck, but might happen one day. In the meantime some teams are going to try using aggression and intimidation to win games. It's the job of a competent GM to provide his coach with a roster with some versatility so he can get favourable line ups vs any given night's opponent. That's what Sestito provides, and does so cheaply and without drama. The days of "making them pay on the PP" were short lived and now behind us.

Long live tough, physical hockey.

Absolutely long live tough, physical hockey. And I'm all for team toughness.

But goons are dying and again, almost no quality teams around the league still dress them. For a reason. They're crap players who don't add anything positive and make your team worse.

Jordan Nolan.

Sure he's a bit faster, but his role is the same. Get in on the forecheck, hit the opposition hard, defend teammates. He had 1 more goal than Sestito and his teammates won the Cup, didn't finish 25th overall in a 30 team league.

Give me Sestito over a Welsh/Dalpe anyday as the 13th/14th. You surround a guy like Sestito (who as I've said has underrated skills) you may be able to get some more pop surrounding him with skilled NHLers, like Jordan Nolan has been given not AHLers like Welsh and Dalpe.

Jordan Nolan is a big physical forward who skates well and plays a good three-zone game. He only fights occasionally, isn't remotely a goon, and had 54 PIM last year.

I'd love to have Nolan on this team over a defensive liability stuck in sand like Sestito.

100% agree. :clap:

If Sestito wasn't in the lineup last year, I wonder how many of those scraps would have involved Kassian or Bieksa instead??

I don't want guys like that to risk breaking a hand/finger/face fighting Brian McGratton or Luke Gazdic. That's Sestito's job.

Again, Bieksa had a career high in fights last year.

And when we didn't have a goon from 2010-2012, Bieksas fights were down, not up.

No matter how many times people repeat these stupid myths about goons, it isn't going to make them true.

Better hockey player - undoubtedly.

Better fighter - not vs heavy weights

And again, who cares?

If Sestito isn't in the lineup, McGrattan fights nobody.

And carrying a worse roster because of some useless lump who'll play 4 minutes/game 6 times against us next year is just ludicrous.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
They should keep Sestito around in case this whole Henrik-Bonino-Vey thing doesn't work out.

Sestito is our trump card to getting a high lottery pick.

Hyack57

Aug 6, 2004
Airdrie, AB
I think Willie understands that Tostitos is a completely useless player, and the BS reasons that low-information fans trot out to defend dancing bears are all basically discredited.

Dorsett can be the facepuncher or whatever, it sure seems like that's the route they want to go. Tostitos will get picked up on waivers somewhere. Good riddance.

agreed

Love

Feb 29, 2012
I dont get why all of you are hating on Sestito all of the sudden. I want him to be a Canuck personally.

He was not terrible last season, although most here seem convinced of that. He did what his coach asked him too last season, even if his coach was an idiot. If Willie D can channel his ability into more of a energy/hitting player rather than fighting so much then he can be useful.

And BTW he isnt a bad fighter. He's actually pretty good, improved a ton from beginning of the season to end of season.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Why?

The two answers we always get are 'well, otherwise their heavyweight will run around causing trouble!!' and 'well who's going to fight their heavyweight then?'

If Sestito isn't in the lineup, McGrattan fights nobody.

And carrying a worse roster because of some useless lump who'll play 4 minutes/game 6 times against us next year is just ludicrous.

Fundamentally we are in agreement. Goons are pointless. There seem to a group here that think Dorsett can replace the goon and fill his roll. He can't, he's a good 4th liner who can tangle with lightweights and pests. My fear is that sooner or later he'll be expected to do a goons job and the poor guy will get mauled. If the team wants to have someone to answer the bell against the McGratton's and Gazdic (stupid as it is) they will have to keep Sestito.

I could care less if they waive TBH, best thing for the league would be teams waiving the lot.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Yes. Tommy is a perfect 13th forward. He's big, tough, good in the room...and has a very affordable contract.

Dress him when you're playing The Flames/Oilers/Kings etc. and you want a bit of extra toughness in the lineup. When a guy like McGratton or Gazdic (among others) starts running around, I'd rather have Sestito drop the mitts so a guy like Kassian doesn't have to risk busting his hand on someone's forehead. That's Sestito's job.

I think Sestito is one of the more hockey-smart 'enforcers' in the league. He knows his role and quite honestly, I think he does it very well.

I'm totally happy with him on the 4th line when needed this season.

Pretty much this... plus the guy has a bit of game... not a ton of game, but he can fill out a 4th line role when necessary.

Or replace him with Archibald. Either would be fine with me.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Again, Bieksa had a career high in fights last year.

And when we didn't have a goon from 2010-2012, Bieksas fights were down, not up.

No matter how many times people repeat these stupid myths about goons, it isn't going to make them true.

Moreover, one of the highlights last season before things fell apart were our games against the Oilers when that clown Gazdic kept skating around pointlessly trying to start **** while our team more or less just ignored him while scoring goal after goal. I think in one game Sestito finally fought him in the third when the game was out of reach, big deal.

Remember this game? Sestitio doesn't dress, Gazdic "plays" 7 minutes of "hockey," fights nobody, and the Canucks win 4-0. Oh, what a miracle that we managed to win that game without someone to take punches from their knuckle-dragger!

It's like people have this frame in their minds about "how hockey works" that is in no way influenced by actually following the games.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad