NHL 20 Discussion Thread

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
f*** it, I'll admit that NHL 19 was a good game and I've enjoyed it all year. And I've been a huge detractor of the game since 2013. I'm optimistic about what this year will bring.

Number one on my wishlist is improved teammate AI. I just want my players to get open when I'm being pinned by an aggressive backcheck. Tuning the strategic settings helps with this somewhat, but there should still be better puck support.

The mechanics feel great, the game modes are fun, and the game has come a long way in just two years of development. Let's keep it going.

Scherbs

Feb 16, 2016
Ontario
**** it, I'll admit that NHL 19 was a good game and I've enjoyed it all year. And I've been a huge detractor of the game since 2013. I'm optimistic about what this year will bring.

Number one on my wishlist is improved teammate AI. I just want my players to get open when I'm being pinned by an aggressive backcheck. Tuning the strategic settings helps with this somewhat, but there should still be better puck support.

The mechanics feel great, the game modes are fun, and the game has come a long way in just two years of development. Let's keep it going.
From the Game Informer article which breaks down the changes..

"The team isn’t making any structural changes to player ratings this year and didn’t work on any major overhauls for teammate A.I. or the strategy system." - Breaking Down The 16 Biggest Changes Coming To NHL 20

Building the exact same game every year is hard guys. They don't have time to fix critical, game breaking, issues. Okay?

HunteDxEntitY

Jan 5, 2014
Section 118
From the Game Informer article which breaks down the changes..

"The team isn’t making any structural changes to player ratings this year and didn’t work on any major overhauls for teammate A.I. or the strategy system." - Breaking Down The 16 Biggest Changes Coming To NHL 20

Building the exact same game every year is hard guys. They don't have time to fix critical, game breaking, issues. Okay?

Such a joke.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
First time since 1991/92 I won't have Ea's hockey game in my house. Getting older now, have kids, a business. I played 18 for a month. 19 for a week. Xbox hasn't been turned on in a year lol. No NHL20 for me.

I can't believe they give idiotic things like team celebrations the time of day. How the F can people like that kinda garbage over ACTUAL Gameplay improvements?

They cater to these little 13 year olds now.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
First time since 1991/92 I won't have Ea's hockey game in my house. Getting older now, have kids, a business. I played 18 for a month. 19 for a week. Xbox hasn't been turned on in a year lol. No NHL20 for me.

I can't believe they give idiotic things like team celebrations the time of day. How the F can people like that kinda garbage over ACTUAL Gameplay improvements?

That's where the money is, like Fortnite dances.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Yes, I do understand that, which sucks. It's a business after all. New generation. Terrible.

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013

If 19 came out in September of last year and you played for a week, then how has your xbox been off for a year. Also I agree about the rest of your post.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
We will never get a quality EA NHL game when their primary focus is how much money they can we squeeze out of HUT. Seriously people, stop wasting your ****ing money on this crap. You are buying the same damn items over and over again, and for what? To tell your friends that you got a digital Gretzky card that you are going to lose when the next NHL installment comes out? ....If you want a better hockey, stop wasting your money on HUT!
I played HUT and spent some cash on it in the first year it came out. The next year when it started becoming obvious that they were going to start ignoring the rest of the game to focus on their cash cow, I stopped spending money on it. I haven't spent a cent since and I absolutely won't be again. I wouldn't even care that they have the obvious money grab mode in the game if they also spent some of their effort on the rest of the game. I love the idea of HUT but I'm not going to touch it ever again.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Community: Defending is nearly impossible and onetimers go in 9 times out of 10

EA: How about we add more shooting animations and personalized cellys?

C: No! We want overhauled Be A Pro and GM Connected.

EA: We heard you and added Battle Royale-mode to the game
Seriously when I first heard that I thought it was a joke...

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
No frostbite, no PC version, no changes (at least so far) for Franchise mode. I think I will stick with EHM / FHM and wait for NHL on next gen.
Sean Ramjagsingh has talked about a pc version for almost 5 years and it never ends up happening i am surprised people keep believing they are actually considering it.

Reactions: Cigar City

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
Sean Ramjagsingh has talked about a pc version for almost 5 years and it never ends up happening i am surprised people keep believing they are actually considering it.
I wouldn't trust him to tell me that the players will still be using skates next year.

Madic

May 21, 2008
I'd settle for AI simply knowing that their own net exists and not running into it.

ManyIdeas

Feb 14, 2012
St. Louis
I'd settle for AI simply knowing that their own net exists and not running into it.
Are you telling me you're tired of an AI dman skating circling behind your net, cutting it too close on the close hand and tucking it in behind your goalie for an own goal?

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
Are you telling me you're tired of an AI dman skating circling behind your net, cutting it too close on the close hand and tucking it in behind your goalie for an own goal?
Speaking as a person who mainly plays goalie in BaP, I can't tell you the amount of times I've had to say the words "are you ****ing kidding me?" when stuff like that happens. Another of my favorites is when my defenseman passes to an opposing player directly in front of my own net. I pretty much play with the expectation that one of these things is possibly going to happen and I've saved a lot more of those BS goals than I used to. But I shouldn't have to!

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
Well they overhauled the goaltending AI and added a bunch of new animations.

But yeah, doesn’t sound like any changes to skates AI.
I feel like they say they rehaul the goalie AI every year to make them smarter, yet all it seems to do is make them awful in other areas. A complete overhaul of the goaltending is needed.

From I've read and the little that has been shown, this looks like NHL 17 v4. Will probably pass again. This will be 3 years in a row I will (most likely) not be getting an EA NHL game.

HabsCowboysOwn

Wak Prescott the 40M/yr fraud, here we gooo!
Feb 28, 2008
Montréal
Be A Pro same flavorless **** once again, nothing new in EASHL like practice mode which is long overdue, lame ass battle royale and dumb facemasks to cater to 12-year-olds and casual players instead of their lifelong customers, no GM connected, no AI improvements... They might have outdone themselves this year and that's no easy feat.

Last edited:
Reactions: Frosty415

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519
It blows my effing mind that almost every other sports games has an in depth be a pro mode that fans love but yet EA treats it like s*** and claims that they don’t see much demand for it but of course they see demand for all the game modes that bring extra money.

The whole damn press release is an insult to fans that love traditional simulation hockey games. They Care more about Youtubers and random presentation bullsh** then making a decent simulation game. Scoreboard at the bottom is dumb and is change for change sake. If they want to make an arcade based hockey game then branch off but don’t sabotage and gut the main game.

You said it, I don't play EA NHL anymore for my sim/BAP.. As sad as it sounds I play NBA live 19 for their be a pro, and FIFA.. both are way better than NHL.

As for my sim franchise needs, I usually play the yearly Franchise Hockey Manager games, because at least their GM mode is really in depth, EA continues to disappoint by focusing more on online features than offline single player features, something that was a staple of their games for years.

Sad.. I miss the old NHL/2k Games

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519

dude is the worst dev ever

I called him out every day on twitter about a bug and he blocked me, whatever trash dude isn't getting a dime

korrowan

Sponsor
Feb 8, 2011
I could care less about anything that isn't related to Chel. I guess bringing GM connected back would be cool and I would actually play something besides Chel if that existed but all that other stuff is garbage. I just want to play good hockey with the boys and some other company needs to come out with an unbranded game that is just that and not having to click through 13 menu items each time EA decides to give you a dressing room error for no reason.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad