Prospect Info: Discussion: Prospects and Marlies Thread ‎VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
1.2ppg in your 18yr old season is a pretty firm minimum for me.

1.35 is near the minimum for 19.

but that kind of production doesn't leave much hope for nhl 2nd line production.

There are quite a few star NHL players that weren't drafted in the 1st round and have similar numbers as 19 year old players in the CHL. Dzierkals, as a talent, is (at worst) on par with Connor Brown. He's a more attractive prospective hockey player than Brown was at any point in the CHL. Connor put up almost two points-per-game as a 19 year old but that is a terribly inflated number. The Erie Otters had Connor McDavid, Dylan Strome and Andre Burakovsky up front, as well as several others NHL draft picks. Dzierkals is on a team with Jeremy Lauzon (D) and a bunch of overage, undrafted players.

If you use points-per-game ratio, you're going to win the debate of Connor Brown or Martins Dzierkals.

If you use facts, player skills and take circumstances into consideration, Dzierkals is a better prospect at 19 than Brown was.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Nielsen getting a call post deadline wouldn't be shocking....

I wouldn't bank on it. Let him play the entire year as an key piece on the Marlies - hopefully he can lead them through a deep playoff run - and then see where he's at come training camp next year.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
There are quite a few star NHL players that weren't drafted in the 1st round and have similar numbers as 19 year old players in the CHL. Dzierkals, as a talent, is (at worst) on par with Connor Brown. He's a more attractive prospective hockey player than Brown was at any point in the CHL. Connor put up almost two points-per-game as a 19 year old but that is a terribly inflated number. The Erie Otters had Connor McDavid, Dylan Strome and Andre Burakovsky up front, as well as several others NHL draft picks. Dzierkals is on a team with Jeremy Lauzon (D) and a bunch of overage, undrafted players.

If you use points-per-game ratio, you're going to win the debate of Connor Brown or Martins Dzierkals.

If you use facts, player skills and take circumstances into consideration, Dzierkals is a better prospect at 19 than Brown was.
Dylan Strome was a raw 16 year old, Brown destroyed it when both McDavid and Burakovsky were at the WJC, and mostly played with an overager in Dane Fox. He wasn't on McDavid's line. You prefer Dzierkals, fine. I think at this point in time Connor Brown was the better prospect. Its not like Dzierkals put up insane numbers on a team that was stacked last year. He has potential, but I don't think at comparable stages he is clearly better than Brown. Granted, about a month ago you were saying Dzierkals was better than Kapanen, so you seem to hold him in higher regard than most analysts and fellow fans. Maybe your right, but I disagree with both assessments.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
We'll agree to disagree, I suppose.

In the meantime, here's a video of Martins Dzierkals at the most recent rookie tournament.

schenneuf

Jul 4, 2011
Dzierkals has that Nylander/Marner-like ability to just wind up and take off through the neutral zone like a bullet and offensive zone entry. Whether it translates or not is the question.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Dzierkals has that Nylander/Marner-like ability to just wind up and take off through the neutral zone like a bullet and offensive zone entry. Whether it translates or not is the question.

Martins Dzierkals is very Marneresque in the way he moves and handles the puck at high speeds.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
1.2ppg in your 18yr old season is a pretty firm minimum for me.

1.35 is near the minimum for 19.

but that kind of production doesn't leave much hope for nhl 2nd line production.

Is there a reason for those particular cutoffs?

last year's numbers were likely affected by deployment, that was a good team and if I remember correctly I think they loaded up at the TDL for a run that pushed Dzerkials down the lineup

This year will likely start to paint a more complete picture, but if he ends up at 1.5ppg will that affect your opinion?

I probably wouldn't lay money on him being a 2nd liner, but that's not surprising for a 3rd rounder. The skillset seems to be there, he looks like a Soshnikov clone to me. Looks like he could be very useful even if he's not a top 6 player

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009

Well in, Mate.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
BC got shelled today and Woll was pulled early in the 3rd after allowing 4 goals. Hopefully he can bounce back quickly from this. BC plays again Tuesday, so hopefully he gets the start. From the box score he got bombarded with shots in the 2nd.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
There are quite a few star NHL players that weren't drafted in the 1st round and have similar numbers as 19 year old players in the CHL.

no, there aren't.

Dzierkals, as a talent, is (at worst) on par with Connor Brown. He's a more attractive prospective hockey player than Brown was at any point in the CHL. Connor put up almost two points-per-game as a 19 year old but that is a terribly inflated number. The Erie Otters had Connor McDavid, Dylan Strome and Andre Burakovsky up front, as well as several others NHL draft picks. Dzierkals is on a team with Jeremy Lauzon (D) and a bunch of overage, undrafted players.

no, facts say brown was always a far better prospect.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Is there a reason for those particular cutoffs?

last year's numbers were likely affected by deployment, that was a good team and if I remember correctly I think they loaded up at the TDL for a run that pushed Dzerkials down the lineup

This year will likely start to paint a more complete picture, but if he ends up at 1.5ppg will that affect your opinion?

I probably wouldn't lay money on him being a 2nd liner, but that's not surprising for a 3rd rounder. The skillset seems to be there, he looks like a Soshnikov clone to me. Looks like he could be very useful even if he's not a top 6 player

some friends of mine have crunched the numbers pretty thoroughly on this one - if you're not minimum 1.2ppg at 18 you're likely not an nhl producer, barring exceptional circumstances.

if he manages to get up to 1.5 this yeqr then yeah it'll give me hope.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
eh I don't have a problem with Martin and even then I think we are looking at a Arcobello, Kozun type with Leipsic, I have no idea why I think this but I do and I like martin better on the 4th line in any case

fair enough, but I would at least like to see what Leipsic can do in the NHL. What if we sat Martin for a few games and gave Leipsic a try? If he is a scrub too, then send him back down.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
some friends of mine have crunched the numbers pretty thoroughly on this one - if you're not minimum 1.2ppg at 18 you're likely not an nhl producer, barring exceptional circumstances.

if he manages to get up to 1.5 this yeqr then yeah it'll give me hope.

his exceptional circumstance is late development due to playing in ****** junior leagues in Latvia and Europe, with not much competition.
Remember, last year was his first year in NA, quite an adjustment in terms of lifestyle, language, hockey style etc, and his coach loved him and he had a great memorial cup.
I get that he is a longshot, but I am rooting for him nonetheless, just like I root all the time for Brown!!! Loved his 4 point night.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
Honestly Zeke it's a balancing act. If you have a boat load of points but don't pass the eye test or exhibit NHL qualities then you're probably not much of a prospect. If you pass the eye test and exhibit NHL qualities but don't put up a boat load of points you're probably...ugh you know what you're probably still a better prospect than the former.

But he is putting up a decent amount of points and he really does play a lot like Soshnikov. Endless motor, always buzzing, very shifty, chippy. If you want to say it's realistic he doesn't make the NHL then yeah that's no duh because something like 250+ are drafted every year most don't make it.

To put things into perspective...I have very big hopes for Bracco. But it seems like everyone who watches a Kitchener game says that the way Bracco plays is not transferable to the NHL at all and while his skill set is off the charts he's going to have to show the willingness to adapt and change his game or it just won't happen.

When people watch Dzierkals they almost always come back impressed, score sheet or not.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
We're all going to get a very good look at Dzierkals quite soon, he's going to have to put the Latvians on his back for them to avoid relegation. Kid's got a non stop motor and I imagine he'll be even hungrier than usual.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Dreger Report: Marner working magic for Leafs

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/dreger-report-marner-working-magic-for-leafs-1.611286

Murphy on the move?

I'll close this week’s Dreger Report with the acknowledgment there is more trade banter occurring around the NHL.

Defencemen are always a hot commodity, which is why we in the media grab hold when a name like Flames’ blueliner Dougie Hamilton surfaces. I don't get the sense from the Flames that Hamilton is truly in play, at least no more than a number of other quality defenceman who can always be made available if the team most interested is willing to overpay.

In saying that, teams are doing due diligence on Hamilton, but this story could be more of a retread from June when the Arizona Coyotes, among others, expressed interest in Hamilton around the draft.

Embedded ImageCarolina's Ryan Murphy is a different story. He doesn't seem to be a fit for Hurricanes head coach Bill Peters. Murphy's name has been used as trade bait for months, but now the Canes are actively shopping him. With a salary of $750,000 this year and $825,000 next season, the 23-year-old, right-shot defenceman will likely be on the move.

The Hurricanes were among the clubs most interested in Anaheim's Cam Fowler before Hampus Lindholm signed his extension, so clearly Carolina is hoping to upgrade its blueline and would include Murphy as part of a deal.

schenneuf

Jul 4, 2011
Looking at an excel sheet and using a calculator for the majority of your argument makes you a very poor judge of talent.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
fair enough, but I would at least like to see what Leipsic can do in the NHL. What if we sat Martin for a few games and gave Leipsic a try? If he is a scrub too, then send him back down.

i can get behind that, but if Leipsic is deemed good enough to stay, 4th line isn't the place for him, so a spot further up will need to opened for him. 4-5 games on the 4th line then back down to marlies or move up the line up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad