Prospect Info: Discussion: Prospects and Marlies Thread ‎VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Rather than simply reasserting my own opinion, I'll say that I have seen fulsome praise for Dzierkals from his coach because he plays with constant edge and aggression and is defensively responsible. Given the number of wingers in the prospect pool, he has a tough road ahead of him. But it does look as if he might be able to do the things that could earn a spot in the bottom six rather than just being a scoring winger.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
mckegg was a better prospect.

McKegg was a similar level of prospect, but McKegg also didn't pan out to near where we thought his potential was despite sticking in the NHL so far this year, if that continues his role will be very limited. If you wanted to say he's similar to a 2010-2011 McKegg then sure - but its not a forgone conclusion that Dzerkials won't pan out better than McKegg did

He's also a much better skater and defender than McKegg was, probably raises his chances of being able to stick in a bottom 6 role. McKegg had very legitimate skating concerns

Personally I think he has much better hands than McKegg, I don't recall McKegg being able to weave in traffic like Dzerkials does at the junior level, but that could be memory failing me

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
say you guys are right.

what is stopping him from producing in junior?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I was never really that high on Dzierkals. I've seen him play many times. I'm not sure he will translate very well to the pro level. I've been wrong before though.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Just wondering since I am usually boxscore watching and just reading comments here about our prospects.

Beside Kap(as I seen him many times), can guys like Tima, Dzierkals, Bracco and others be convert to C?

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
say you guys are right.

He leads his team in points per game and has 12 goals in 19 games, which is a huge improvement over last year's 24 goals in 59 games. You seem to love pacing stats over an 82 game season so I wouldn't dare take that away from you.

Seems to be producing just fine.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
say you guys are right.

What do you consider good production for a 3rd round pick? 1.135ppg last year, 1.368ppg this year. He got a lot of defensive deployment in the memorial cup, I think there was some of that last year and some this year too

he was 32nd in scoring in an 18 team league last year, 3rd in scoring on his own QMJHL champion/memorial cup finalist team (Timo Meier was close in significantly less games, call it 4th on the 2nd best team in the CHL if you want). He's stepped that up to 2nd in scoring and 1st in ppg on his team this year

for a 3rd round pick, this all looks really positive to me...we're spoiled right now with many of our CHL draft picks doing serious damage in the last 2 years, but still I don't think Dzerkials looks disappointing at all right now

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
What do you consider good production for a 3rd round pick? 1.135ppg last year, 1.368ppg this year. He got a lot of defensive deployment in the memorial cup, I think there was some of that last year and some this year too

he was 32nd in scoring in an 18 team league last year, 3rd in scoring on his own QMJHL champion/memorial cup finalist team (Timo Meier was close in significantly less games, call it 4th on the 2nd best team in the CHL if you want). He's stepped that up to 2nd in scoring and 1st in ppg on his team this year

for a 3rd round pick, this all looks really positive to me...we're spoiled right now with many of our CHL draft picks doing serious damage in the last 2 years, but still I don't think Dzerkials looks disappointing at all right now

Connor Brown set the mark with 129 points from a 6th round pick ;)

I'm a smart ass of course because that is highly unusual.

Dzierkals is doing great.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Isn't even in the three stars. Decided to give it to Mascherin, who only had 1 G and 2A, then a young guy who had 2G and 2A and a defenseman with 1G and 2A. Bracco with a hat trick probably should have been 1st star... But nah I guess :laugh:

As usual - they do this so often! Not sure what bias they are employing.

stanleyorbust

Nov 29, 2009
Its probably buried somewhere in here but what happened with Vladimir Bobylyov going to the KHL?

Did the team know he was going back before drafting him?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Its probably buried somewhere in here but what happened with Vladimir Bobylyov going to the KHL?

Did the team know he was going back before drafting him?

there is a Russian fan in here somewhere he is really good for any leafs prospect in the K. Caser? I think that's it

Mad Brills*

The matt martin signing is preventing leipsic from the nhl, which ugh.....

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Dzierkals plays with a lot of grit, and has good speed and hands.
In 19 games he has 12 goals and 14 assists.
14th in scoring, but with a couple of fewer games played, so could easily movie into top ten scoring.
His coach loves him, and he played great in the playoffs last year.
I would suggest it's a little early to write him off.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Matt Martin, what a slug!!!! Boneheaded signing.
Would rather play Leipsic all day long.

eh I don't have a problem with Martin and even then I think we are looking at a Arcobello, Kozun type with Leipsic, I have no idea why I think this but I do and I like martin better on the 4th line in any case

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Bracco continues to have a monster of a season. Looking forward to seeing him et more respect on Leafs prospect rankings

The matt martin signing is preventing leipsic from the nhl, which ugh.....

Yeah. He's goingo to be a roster spot obstacle for young guys for the next 4 seasons. Which is why I hate the contract.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Nielsen starting to turn some heads. I don't see him up with the Leafs this season, unless we're stacked with injuries, but I think he'll have a good chance next season.

I do see a lot similarities to Cody Franson. Nielsen is more engaged physically though.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

1.2ppg in your 18yr old season is a pretty firm minimum for me.

1.35 is near the minimum for 19.

but that kind of production doesn't leave much hope for nhl 2nd line production.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Nielsen starting to turn some heads. I don't see him up with the Leafs this season, unless we're stacked with injuries, but I think he'll have a good chance next season.

I do see a lot similarities to Cody Franson. Nielsen is more engaged physically though.

Could be a nice sleeper pick by Hunter.

Franson was a decent defensemen - big problem was he couldn't skate. If Nielsen has his puck skills plus increased mobility and physicality he'll be a very useful player for the Leafs moving forward

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
1.2ppg in your 18yr old season is a pretty firm minimum for me.

1.35 is near the minimum for 19.

but that kind of production doesn't leave much hope for nhl 2nd line production.
In regards to forwards, what the Leafs need to do is develop a constant stream of cheap replacements, and hope to hit the occasional homer-run. If we get a top 9 forward in the 3rd round that is a good pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad