Prospect Info: Discussion: Prospects and Marlies Thread ‎VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Who's playing better and who has the higher ceiling - Kapanen or Johnson?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Who's playing better and who has the higher ceiling - Kapanen or Johnson?

They are different players though so it's hard to judge it that way.

Kapanen probably has a higher ceiling due to his NHL speed and overall skill level. Johnson is all about vision and his shot. His skating is fine but it's more about agility than speed.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
Looks like our NCAA players are off to good starts. Greenway at a point a game and Vesey looks to have bounced back (stats wise) after a bad season last year. Toninato has 2 points in 6 games. At this point, highly unlikely he gets offered a contract.

Didn't realize it, but Vesey is a pretty big kid. 6'2 and 210 lbs.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Looks like our NCAA players are off to good starts. Greenway at a point a game and Vesey looks to have bounced back (stats wise) after a bad season last year. Toninato has 2 points in 6 games. At this point, highly unlikely he gets offered a contract.

Maine was a piece of crap last year. I think one player got over 20 points and Vesey had 15. He was like the 4th best scorer and had nothing to work with on the 2nd line.

Toninato should still be offered a deal, even if it's just an AHL deal. I'd expect him to turn it around. He's a pretty good 2/3 C prospect and has looked good in camp for a while. Plus he has some size, which we lack at center beyond Matthews, Gauthier and Joshua.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
They are different players though so it's hard to judge it that way.

Kapanen probably has a higher ceiling due to his NHL speed and overall skill level. Johnson is all about vision and his shot. His skating is fine but it's more about agility than speed.

Agreed and I think they have the same ceiling which is rediculous as Johnsson was a 6th rounder

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

Any insight on Joshua?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Any insight on Joshua?

Big center with defensive skills. Has his fair share of offensive skills as well. He's raw, but he can become something good. Possibly a much better offensive Gauthier, but not AS good defensively (but still really good).

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Big center with defensive skills. Has his fair share of offensive skills as well. He's raw, but he can become something good. Possibly a much better offensive Gauthier, but not AS good defensively (but still really good).

Thanks Sea.
He looked good at camp but that's my only exposure to him.
3rd line upside?

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
I don't think this is quite the time to write off Toninato yet, but he certainly does have to get more productive to earn an ELC, or even a Marlies contract, IMO. He was productive as a freshman and soph but as a junior his assists dropped way off. This year as a senior he has no goals and two apples in six games which is not what you would normally expect of a drafted player in his final year of college eligibility. Still, it is a small sample and perhaps he can turn it around. For comparison's sake, the last I checked Winnipeg first rounder Colin White has one assist in four games. No one expects him to continue to produce at that level.

I hope Toninato does turn it around because in the few times I have seen him play, he passed the eyeball test.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I like Toninato still - but he's got some hard work ahead of him to show he's ready for a NHL role - obscene him getting a contract though at least for the Marlies.

Bracco's been on fire too - poised for a monster season.

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Toninato is gonna be very hard pressed to get a contract from us. This is the way it will be if we have better scouting. Some mediocre prospects will be passed on for contract spots. If he doesn't impress, he won't be worth a 2way contract.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I could see him getting an AHL deal or at least an AHL tryout contract at some point, trying to carve himself out as a checking centre

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
I like Toninato still - but he's got some hard work ahead of him to show he's ready for a NHL role - obscene him getting a contract though at least for the Marlies.

Bracco's been on fire too - poised for a monster season.

Bracco's point totals are very good, but it's going to be how he performs defensively that determines if he becomes a Maple Leaf. He has a lot of work to do in that area.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Toninato is gonna be very hard pressed to get a contract from us. This is the way it will be if we have better scouting. Some mediocre prospects will be passed on for contract spots. If he doesn't impress, he won't be worth a 2way contract.

I thought he was a lock a year or 2 ago. He regressed (or never really progressed) pretty badly and I have no idea why.

He might get an AHL contract like Cameranesi but beyond that...

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Bracco's point totals are very good, but it's going to be how he performs defensively that determines if he becomes a Maple Leaf. He has a lot of work to do in that area.

He's like Kessel in that way. He's never going to be a Selke nominee in that department but he's fine. What he'll do is make sure the puck is in the offensive zone as much as possible with his skating and mobility. He's a nightmare for defenders to go up against, like Marner, because his stickhandling and agility are elite.

I haven't been Bracco's biggest fan to be honest but this 2-way thing is starting to get irritating. I wasn't impressed with the hype last season when I saw him play with the Rangers but he's SO much better this season. Very dominant. He took his off-season training very seriously.

I think it's time to really look at him as a great prospect.

Last edited:

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
He's like Kessel in that way. He's never going to be a Selke nominee in that department but he's fine. What he'll do is make sure the puck is in the offensive zone as much as possible with his skating and mobility. He's a nightmare for defenders to go up against, like Marner, because his stickhandling and agility are elite.

I haven't been Bracco's biggest fan to be honest but this 2-way thing is starting to get irritating. I wasn't impressed with the hype last season when I saw him play with the Rangers but he's SO much better this season. Very dominant. He took his off-season training very seriously.

I think it's time to really look at him as a great prospect.

As long as we have players who can compensate for Bracco's defensive lapses (we didn't really have those during Kessel's tenure), he should be fine as long as he brings enough offense. Kinda like how Patrick Kane gets away with it on Chicago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig