Discussion: Coach Willie Desjardins | VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
Burrows scored in the final shootout last season and it was a nice story. No big surprise he gets some chances in the early going here.

Who cares if it's a nice story though? Long time vet getting his last crack at it? Plenty of players should have been ahead of him. You're trying to win hockey games. Burrows has lost it and it's pretty clear.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Who cares if it's a nice story though? Long time vet getting his last crack at it? Plenty of players should have been ahead of him. You're trying to win hockey games. Burrows has lost it and it's pretty clear.

Like I said, he scored in the last shootout. So there's no reason to think he can't score again.

He looked bad. So what. People place way too much weight on "shootout ability."

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
You want second line production from bo and Sven and never give them offensive zone starts. Willie is the main reason we can't score

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
You want second line production from bo and Sven and never give them offensive zone starts. Willie is the main reason we can't score

the fact that bo horvat ranks 445th among the 471 nhl players (who have played at least 50 minutes at even strength) in offensive zone start ratio is a complete disgrace

i don't have the numbers on baertschi but i'd imagine he'd be near the bottom as well

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

Did I read somewhere that coming off a home shutout loss to the Sens, a game in which they generated just three third period shots, there are no lineup additions or line changes for tonight's game with the Oilers...is Willie just helpless or subconsciously trying to get fired?

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Did I read somewhere that coming off a home shutout loss to the Sens, a game in which they generated just three third period shots, there are no lineup additions or line changes for tonight's game with the Oilers...is Willie just helpless or subconsciously trying to get fired?

Yes, hockeybuzz is claiming that:

The Canucks lineup is expected to be the same tonight as it was on Tuesday, with Ryan Miller facing off against new father Cam Talbot in net.

It's ok. Willie is trying to figure out how to give Bo negative o-zone starts, possibly having him take faceoffs from the Zamboni garage.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Markstrom goes 3-0-1 with a .925 save %. Miller has a history of fading when being overworked and has already been injured this year.

Willie's response? START MILLER EVERY NIGHT!

God, I'm sick of watching these idiots run my team.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Markstrom goes 3-0-1 with a .925 save %. Miller has a history of fading when being overworked and has already been injured this year.

The degree to which they've gutted the depth on the Canucks to say nothing of the abysmal treatment of the Comets is truly shocking. I mean, you would assume this collection of people didn't just "accidentally" find their way into the highest levels of an organization.

Looking at the age and quality of players on this team, I don't see much promise for watching a decent team for at least another 5 years, and it gets compounded the longer Ownership keeps these people making decisions.

Not much we can do from here but watch.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The degree to which they've gutted the depth on the Canucks to say nothing of the abysmal treatment of the Comets is truly shocking. I mean, you would assume this collection of people didn't just "accidentally" find their way into the highest levels of an organization.

Looking at the age and quality of players on this team, I don't see much promise for watching a decent team for at least another 5 years, and it gets compounded the longer Ownership keeps these people making decisions.

Not much we can do from here but watch.

Yup. It's just a tire fire from here on out until these guys get fired. The only question is how many more poison pill contracts Benning can leave for the next management group.

And yeah, it's amazing how what's happened in Utica mirrors the NHL team. The team that was essentially built by Gillis and Henning steamrolled the AHL in 14-15, but two years later it's basically a complete garbage team with a garbage roster of AHL journeyman and nothing in terms of either good prospects or legitimate veteran AHL talent that can step as callups.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I want Markstrom to start more, but is Miller overworked? His last game was days ago and he has never lost to the Oilers until now.

Then don't watch. Simple.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
I want Markstrom to start more, but is Miller overworked? His last game was days ago and he has never lost to the Oilers until now.

Then don't watch. Simple.

Ah, the old, you have a negative opinion, so its a bad one.

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
I wonder what it would be like to have Patrick Roy as a coach, He really got the Avs going one season.

Then there was Kruger when he coached the Oilers, I thought that the Oilers made a mistake firing him, I saw some success in that season.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
From what I understand Willie is into the third year of a four-year contract, and the owner doesn't want to pay for two fired coaches (he's still paying Torts)...best guess is Willie is kicked upstairs to some other role in the organization...about the only way I can see them making a coaching change.

nuckfan insk

Nov 3, 2005
saskatoon Sask
Willie had a great track record before Vancouver, I saw his work in Medicine Hat his former players love and highly respect him, I think if he was told to develop players he could but he's being told to win and he doesn't have the horses to do it. I think he will take the blame be canned and go on to have success elsewhere. While more of the same happens here.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Willie had a great track record before Vancouver, I saw his work in Medicine Hat his former players love and highly respect him, I think if he was told to develop players he could but he's being told to win and he doesn't have the horses to do it. I think he will take the blame be canned and go on to have success elsewhere. While more of the same happens here.

NHL players have a completely different mindset than AHL players.

Veteran NHL players aren't there to kiss the coach's butt or earn the coach's praise. Veteran NHL players want tactics that work and want a general that knows what he's doing in game situations. Veteran NHL players want logical ozone and dzone deployments and veteran NHL players want to see effective line matching.

Before Doug Jarvis, we were a HORRIBLY coached team from a tactics point of view.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

I'm sure Willie was lionized in the Hat...great junior coach....but unfortunately that doesn't always translate to the NHL.....In terms of the league-wide poll of coaches on the hot seat, there's a reason why Willie heads the endangered list....only issue is whether the change is made mid-season or they wait until the end of the season.

nuckfan insk

Nov 3, 2005
saskatoon Sask
I'm sure Willie was lionized in the Hat...great junior coach....but unfortunately that doesn't always translate to the NHL.....In terms of the league-wide poll of coaches on the hot seat, there's a reason why Willie heads the endangered list....only issue is whether the change is made mid-season or they wait until the end of the season.

He will be the scapegoat I'm sure.
And yes I question a lot of his decisions, but he developed players in Medicine Hat and Texas. Like for example took dorsett from a mid season 18 year old 4th line call up to a ppg player who got a pro career and will get a NHL pension. Developed Clark MacArthur lupal, kris russel, schlemko, Darren helm linden vey, Ennis , etem and he always gave young guys big minutes and opportunity. This has changed since arriving in Vancouver. So that's what I've been disappointed in. I thought he'd be "real good" for guys like kassian, McCann virtanen, bo Sven etc....
makes me wonder if his strings are being pulled

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Well ya. Doesn't take a genius to look at last year's standings to come away with such an opinion. The coach that coached the last place team last season has the most job security in the entire league (given his team is expected to still suck). The coach that coached the 2nd last place team has 4 years left on his contract and is perceived as one of the better coaches in the league deserving or not. Then it's the Canucks. Columbus hired Torts just last season. Calgary just changed coaches. Maurice is considered to be on the endangered list. Tippett is like part of Arizona's management. There were also quite a few new coaching hires this past summer.

He will be the scapegoat I'm sure.
And yes I question a lot of his decisions, but he developed players in Medicine Hat and Texas. Like for example took dorsett from a mid season 18 year old 4th line call up to a ppg player who got a pro career and will get a NHL pension. Developed Clark MacArthur lupal, kris russel, schlemko, Darren helm linden vey, Ennis , etem and he always gave young guys big minutes and opportunity. This has changed since arriving in Vancouver. So that's what I've been disappointed in. I thought he'd be "real good" for guys like kassian, McCann virtanen, bo Sven etc....
makes me wonder if his strings are being pulled

I actually think Willie has been a good coach for young players. He doesn't like to play 18 and 19 year olds very much, but the older players have had no trouble finding ice time and once you gain Willie's trust he does play you. There's also been no talk about a young guy being in the dog house. His players seem to appreciate the way he communicates with him. A lot of coaches have that one player where you suspect he has ruined but not so with Willie.

groov2

Apr 11, 2014
Vancouver
From what I understand Willie is into the third year of a four-year contract, and the owner doesn't want to pay for two fired coaches (he's still paying Torts)...best guess is Willie is kicked upstairs to some other role in the organization...about the only way I can see them making a coaching change.

They are no longer paying Torts. Once a coach takes a job with another team, the old contract becomes void.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad