Discussion About Management . Part 44. (#356)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
If benning had the 5th overall pick and picked MDC i would defend that pick. MDC was BPA, Virtanen wasnt.

Picking BPA and having a bust >>>> not picking BPA and losing out on a star player
The 2014 NHL consensus draft had Brendan Perlini as the #6 choice

The standard of the mock draft is Bob McKenzies draft rankings..He had Virtanen going at #7 (higher than Ehlers or Nylander)...So it really wasn't a stretch to pick Virtanen at 6.

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
I’m pretty sure “CompeteBuilding” is one of those things for which I get spam e-mails in my work inbox offering me certification training.
CompeteBuilding is a term coined by John Weisbrod for the first time in a interview on TSN1040 18 months ago. I was stunned to see it because it brought some memory back about that surreal interview, when he said also that 75 point team was close to playoffs, if not injuries piled up.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany

The standard of the mock draft is Bob McKenzies draft rankings..He had Virtanen going at #7 (higher than Ehlers or Nylander)...So it really wasn't a stretch to pick Virtanen at 6.

The 2014 NHL consensus draft had Jake Virtanen as the #13 choice

Craig Button is a respected draft expert. He had Virtanen not even in his top 30. So it really was a stretch to pick Virtanen at 6.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
It wasn't a stretch to pick Virtanen. Plus/minus 2-3 spots, he was generally a consensus top-10 pick. A stretch would have been taking McCann there. Or Pastrnak.

But he was not the consensus #6 pick on this board; Ehlers and Nylander were. Which is why this board is disproportionately upset about that pick compared to other forums that didn't call it correctly from the very beginning. If Jake has a second miraculous break through and ends up as a 50 goal scorer, would there be more gloating here or on Reddit? Would wager the latter.

Reactions: dim jim

Jessep

Oct 27, 2017
If benning had the 5th overall pick and picked MDC i would defend that pick. MDC was BPA, Virtanen wasnt.

Picking BPA and having a bust >>>> not picking BPA and losing out on a star player

Honestly, don't see the difference. It's all a crapshoot. Personally I think it's premature to declare bust.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany

I know that site. Just wanted to point out that it works both ways. Its not really about where he was ranked but more who the majority here wanted. And btw I dont even want to hide that I didnt mind the Virtanen pick all that much but I would say that was more related to the fact that I kind of blindly trusted the new guys in charge falling for the lie Benning is a draft expert.

On a side note, these are not mock drafts, they are draft rankings. There is an important difference between the two.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I know that site. Just wanted to point out that it works both ways. Its not really about where he was ranked but more who the majority here wanted. And btw I dont even want to hide that I didnt mind the Virtanen pick all that much but I would say that was more related to the fact that I kind of blindly trusted the new guys in charge falling for the lie Benning is a draft expert.

On a side note, these are not mock drafts, they are draft rankings. There is an important difference between the two.
I wasn't upset about the JV pick either (even though I had Nylander as my choice)....Although the rest of the selections Benning made in 2014 are far from disappointing...Just my .02 cents

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Would it matter if he did have elite talent considering what he started with? He's had to replace an entire team and fill a prospect pool. Did you really expect that to happen in 4 drafts? I didn't. And getting kicked in the lottery balls hasn't helped. His best prospects in Utica when he took over were Shinkaruk, Jensen, and Corrado. Three years later none of them are NHL players. Horvat stepped in faster than expected and Hutton was certainly a pleasant surprise but that's not much of a starting point to rebuild an entire team. Then you add in the problem that picks are typically two years away from even being able to play in Utica and you can see the problem he has had for depth players.

As far as competing is concerned it's a team game. The team has managed to compete for a playoff spot the past two years until injuries piled up. This is the first time since Benning took over there's a few decent players in Utica to call up when those injuries occur.

Once again, nothing but deflection and denial of Benning's monumental stupidity...

You make it sound like people are asking too much out of Benning - we know Gillis' draft was bad, we know the organization's prospect pool is awful when our best player at the time was Jensen and Subban. Did Benning improve it? Sure. Did he do so in a way that made most of the chances he's given? f***, NO. The bar couldn't possibly be lower for Benning and his cronies, yet he can't even meet this kind of low expectation.

This has NOTHING to do with getting kicked in the lottery balls - this delusional lunatic pretty much blew 3 out of 4 first round picks in three years. Had we even drafted ONE of the four elites we missed, the team would at least be exciting to watch and there will be more hope. And those four elites are not only obtainable, but were the consensus pick by almost everyone on the board.

And this is not even getting into the sheer number of awful contracts he's given out, his far-less-than-impressive trade history, the fact that he couldn't talk for more than 30 seconds without making an idiotic remark...the list goes on and on.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

McKenzie's draft list isn't his own evaluation, but rather a compilation from talking with NHL scouts. So considering how damn accurate he is I would suspect that his final list depends a lot on where certain teams are drafting and how much they're projecting their choice.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
Once again, nothing but deflection and denial of Benning's monumental stupidity...

You make it sound like people are asking too much out of Benning - we know Gillis' draft was bad, we know the organization's prospect pool is awful when our best player at the time was Jensen and Subban. Did Benning improve it? Sure. Did he do so in a way that made most of the chances he's given? ****, NO. The bar couldn't possibly be lower for Benning and his cronies, yet he can't even meet this kind of low expectation.

This has NOTHING to do with getting kicked in the lottery balls - this delusional lunatic pretty much blew 3 out of 4 first round picks in three years. Had we even drafted ONE of the four elites we missed, the team would at least be exciting to watch and there will be more hope. And those four elites are not only obtainable, but were the consensus pick by almost everyone on the board.

And this is not even getting into the sheer number of awful contracts he's given out, his far-less-than-impressive trade history, the fact that he couldn't talk for more than 30 seconds without making an idiotic remark...the list goes on and on.

You should really give yourself a break and maybe adopt a bit of positive attitude, it's got to be pretty depressing to be so down about the team all the time.

Sit back, crack a beer and cheer on the Canucks!

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
You should really give yourself a break and maybe adopt a bit of positive attitude, it's got to be pretty depressing to be so down about the team all the time.

Sit back, crack a beer and cheer on the Canucks!

I'm cheering for the parts that are worth cheering for though: BB, for example.

And Green, kinda.

Jessep

Oct 27, 2017
The 2014 NHL consensus draft had Jake Virtanen as the #13 choice

Craig Button is a respected draft expert. He had Virtanen not even in his top 30. So it really was a stretch to pick Virtanen at 6.

Which just goes to show there is no consensus. There's plenty of scouting services and experts. They each have a different list. If any of them could be absolutely depended upon teams wouldn't bother with their own scouting. Consensus is far easier after the fact.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Why are we still talking about the Virtanen pick? It was obviously a poor pick and there really isn't any debating it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad