Discussion About Management . Part 44. (#356)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
I loved Gillis although he has some flaws like the league hated him

it's almost 2020 I haven't changed my signature since 2014 but it should definitely be RIP Canucks 2014-2021.5 now

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Is a CompeteBuild supposed to yield bottom of league results, to get the best odds for #1 pick... or is a CompeteBuild supposed to yield a playoff spot, for the chance to further compete for the Stanley Cup? What is the result expected or wanted from a CompeteBuild? How does it get judged if the strategy is working, or not?

Competebuilds are a fluid process, some years will have more building and others more competing. Gunning for the best odds for a #1 overall pick is good when your roster is depleted by injuries but so is making the playoffs when they aren't. Its up for interpretation but IMO a 50/50 split is ideal until the critical mass of talent is reached. Obviously the expected result is a contending team. The way to judge it is to look at the roster and the prospect pool and project if and when they can become a contending team. To do that we have to dissect what a contending team is made of which is variable but (reasonably) we have 2/3rds the top offensive talent already in Boeser and Pettersson, a potentially stellar supporting cast of secondary scoring with whoever wins out between Horvat, Gaudette, Dahlen, Baertchi, Goldobin, Rodin, Lind, Virtanen, and good role players like Gaunce, Sutter, Virtanen, Lockwood. Forwards look ready soon. Defence likewise only needs a top talent. Goaltending looks set. Unless you have an extremely pessimistic outlook on those players you should admit the competebuild is doing well.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Inferior talent? That's such a BS argument and you know it. With hindsight every GM in the league has passed on more talented players so you could just as easily accuse them all of drafting inferior talent.

Whenever he trades draft picks it's for someone under 30 and usually for someone under 25 which is still young so who do you think you're trying to fool by saying he trades for older players? Older than the player who that draft pick will become maybe. Well of course! Would it make you happy if he traded a 2018 1st for 2 1sts in 2025 because it'll make us younger? Of course not. That's just bloody stupid.

Baertshi is a young player who is sustainably scoring 8 pts in 10 games for a 2nd round pick. That's a ridiculously huge win for what he brings.

Granlund is a center not a winger with top 6 but offensive potential but realistically a surefire middle 6 Swiss Army knife with high hockey IQ and he's been one of the best defensive players on a team that's in a playoff spot. Both are playing ridiculously well so downplaying them to suit your Benning sucks mantra is really biased man.

To understand Benning you have to understand what he's doing and what he isn't doing. He's not competing and he's not rebuilding. He's competebuilding which is the superior option to both at this stage of franchise history. In a competebuild you trying to balance getting younger and more talented with competing which means there are trade offs but it's the correct pathway moving forward because competing maximizes the value of the young assets you do get. Without competing the competitive part of the young assets brains atrophy because NHL is a damn competition and NHL playoffs is the hardest competition in hockey so how valuable is a player who didn't learn to compete?

Ah the "Competebuild", which according to you, is going to lead to "dynastic" results. Yikes, talk about being the ultimate Benninite fanboy, I doubt Benning himself would have the gall to suggest that he was in the process of building a dynasty while managing so incompetently - well done! If there was a Church of Benning with devote Benninite followers, then you are the pope of that church. You should create a bible for your budding religion where you can preach Benning's holiness. The dynasty he is building can be kind of like heaven, and the Competebuild can be something akin to Genesis. Good luck Pope RNB, your task is tall but I have not doubt that you are the Benninite for the job.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Competebuilds are a fluid process, some years will have more building and others more competing. Gunning for the best odds for a #1 overall pick is good when your roster is depleted by injuries but so is making the playoffs when they aren't. Its up for interpretation but IMO a 50/50 split is ideal until the critical mass of talent is reached. Obviously the expected result is a contending team. The way to judge it is to look at the roster and the prospect pool and project if and when they can become a contending team. To do that we have to dissect what a contending team is made of which is variable but (reasonably) we have 2/3rds the top offensive talent already in Boeser and Pettersson, a potentially stellar supporting cast of secondary scoring with whoever wins out between Horvat, Gaudette, Dahlen, Baertchi, Goldobin, Rodin, Lind, Virtanen, and good role players like Gaunce, Sutter, Virtanen, Lockwood. Forwards look ready soon. Defence likewise only needs a top talent. Goaltending looks set. Unless you have an extremely pessimistic outlook on those players you should admit the competebuild is doing well.

"Competebuild" implies that we are competing, not trying to compete and failing. Benning has utterly failed at competing, so why is this a "Competebuild"? (rhetorical question, I don't wan't to hear your answer - save that for your fellow Benninites!) Moreover, given Benning's poor top ten picks (save and except for Pettersson) and his failure to obtain, or even retain, draft picks, there really isn't any evidence to suggest he is doing a good job "building" this franchise (LOL at the notion of building a dynasty, that's great). Accordingly, CompeteandBuildFail™ is a far more accurate term to describe what Lord Benning has been doing.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
"Competebuild" implies that we are competing, not trying to compete and failing. Benning has utterly failed at competing, so why is this a "Competebuild"? (rhetorical question, I don't wan't to hear your answer - save that for your fellow Benninites!) Moreover, given Benning's poor top ten picks (save and except for Pettersson) and his failure to obtain, or even retain, draft picks, there really isn't any evidence to suggest he is doing a good job "building" this franchise (LOL at the notion of building a dynasty, that's great). Accordingly, CompeteandBuildFail™ is a far more accurate term to describe what Lord Benning has been doing.
Blasphemy!!!!

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
The fact that I don't even know to whom you guys are responding is really, truly a wonderful thing that bears celebrating.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002

So, what you are basically saying is...

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
If Jim Benning is extended I'll be done with this team. Not going to keep paying attention to this garbage. I hope those who supported this regime continue to enjoy another decade of mediocrity and shitty hockey. I'll go find another team to support.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
If Jim Benning is extended I'll be done with this team. Not going to keep paying attention to this garbage. I hope those who supported this regime continue to enjoy another decade of mediocrity and ****ty hockey. I'll go find another team to support.
how do we save posts? I think that boat sailed a while ago for you.

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
If Jim Benning is extended I'll be done with this team. Not going to keep paying attention to this garbage. I hope those who supported this regime continue to enjoy another decade of mediocrity and ****ty hockey. I'll go find another team to support.
I thoroughly enjoyed tonight's game vs the Stars.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria

Do you really, really promise?

Jessep

Oct 27, 2017

Enjoy being a Leafs fans. I'm sure they'll love you over there. :nod:

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Enjoy being a Leafs fans. I'm sure they'll love you over there. :nod:

I could cheer for the Leafs. Was thinking Edmonton and/or Vegas though (especially since I go down to Vegas quite often).

I could honestly name 30 NHL teams I could cheer for before a Benning-extended Canucks team.

Reactions: Jack Burton

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
I could cheer for the Leafs. Was thinking Edmonton and/or Vegas though (especially since I go down to Vegas quite often).

I could honestly name 30 NHL teams I could cheer for before a Benning-extended Canucks team.

I have to admit that I've watched every Vegas game so far and have quite enjoyed it. Definitely my favorite team behind the Nucks.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I have to admit that I've watched every Vegas game so far and have quite enjoyed it. Definitely my favorite team behind the Nucks.

It's easy to cheer for them too given their cumstances as an expansion team.

I expected they wouldn't be at the very bottom of the league, but I never expected they would be this good. I still think they'll regress (their PDO is completely out of whack, kinda like ours though more extreme) but they won't be a laughingstock.

Reactions: Jack Burton

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Same actually, it was super enjoyable. You were watching? Cool! I was worried you were just score sheet watching and being pessimistic. :)

I actually watched most of the first two periods, and then the last 5 minutes of the game. Turned the game off after 2 and started watching Halloween.

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
I actually watched most of the first two periods, and then the last 5 minutes of the game. Turned the game off after 2 and started watching Halloween.
Huh. Weird. Would've assumed from your other post that you didn't watch much of the game at all. I guess you were just trolling. I stand corrected.
No, I haven't watched most of this game tonight. Honestly I have trouble sitting through a full Canucks game at this point.

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
Weird that you're so obsessed with how much hockey content I watch.
Well, if you want your opinion to be taken seriously when you start up your "What the dumdum Canucks should be doing, by y2k" blog, you kinda have to watch the games or no one will really take you seriously.

Last thing I'd want is to see is the writings of an evidently brilliant hockey mind dismissed as:
91sn32Q.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad