OT: Discusión del Fútbol (EPL, FIFA, LIGA, USMNT, USWNT, MLS, etc) - Parte Dos

Status
Not open for further replies.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I've never been a huge Michael Bradley fan, but I think his USMNT days should be over very soon. It's time for what's left of the old guard to retire from the national team. If they're gonna lose, at least make it interesting with all the up and coming guys getting time together. They are the future

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I've never been a huge Michael Bradley fan, but I think his USMNT days should be over very soon. It's time for what's left of the old guard to retire from the national team. If they're gonna lose, at least make it interesting with all the up and coming guys getting time together. They are the future

I'm normally with you on that but surprisingly he was one of the only competent players on the field that I saw.

They did not appear to have any cohesive plan. Nobody worked to get into space, and they mostly went through the motions, often passing the ball to covered players. They don't have the individual talent to dribble their way out of those spots but they keep getting themselves into them.

It was like they didn't care. Did they have something else on the horizon they wanted to rest up for? League playoffs?

Almost like a team trying to get the coach fired. Canada showed up looking to fight it out and USMNT got pissy because they didn't want that.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
They did not appear to have any cohesive plan. Nobody worked to get into space, and they mostly went through the motions, often passing the ball to covered players. They don't have the individual talent to dribble their way out of those spots but they keep getting themselves into them.
This is basically what everyone is saying. They had little offensive pressure and didn't pressure Canada's center backs who were a glaring weakness.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
This is basically what everyone is saying. They had little offensive pressure and didn't pressure Canada's center backs who were a glaring weakness.

Every time I looked at the screen they were trying some give and go wide right, but when the runner was free they couldn't/wouldn't complete the pass. And nobody supported Pulisic half the time. Story is he had "flu-like symptoms" and was taken out as a result, but that's probably not an excuse for the whole team.

There's something rotten in that locker room. Or else they're tanking for some reason.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Berhalter was an awful, nepotistic hire and everyone knew it from Day 1. They have firmly regressed since missing the World Cup and seemingly are directionless with World Cup 2022 qualifying less than a year away. The US Soccer Federation is a joke; the MNT is in shambles and they tainted the women winning the World Cup with the way they've handled the pay dispute. Heads should roll.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
They should have hired Tata Martino.

They definitely need to hire a foreigner. There is no American coach anywhere even remotely able to captain this sinking ship to safety. The idea that success in MLS means you are ready for this is a joke IMO.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
They definitely need to hire a foreigner. There is no American coach anywhere even remotely able to captain this sinking ship to safety. The idea that success in MLS means you are ready for this is a joke IMO.

I imagine they were hesitant to hire a foreigner based off of how JK's tenure ended. They probably blame JK for the position they're in today. I had my issues with JK but I'd take the state of the program in 2014 over the state of the program today under Berhalter any day of the week.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Berhalter was an awful, nepotistic hire and everyone knew it from Day 1. They have firmly regressed since missing the World Cup and seemingly are directionless with World Cup 2022 qualifying less than a year away. The US Soccer Federation is a joke; the MNT is in shambles and they tainted the women winning the World Cup with the way they've handled the pay dispute. Heads should roll.

Why US men's soccer will always be chasing the pack

Interesting...

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I would certainly rank lack of “style” (identity) squarely in the top-10.

I don’t know. I’m not sure I buy into the premise that successful country’s necessarily have some kind of semi-universal styles. Are there elements of style that are more common in some places than others? Sure but it often the players who offer something significantly different that makes the differences in the end. Lack of a national ‘style’ of play is way too simplistic IMO.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Agree to disagree I guess. A lack of team identity is a glaring issue for me, among many.

Smaller nations have shown you can be at least somewhat successful with the right system with similarly less talented, but still athletically, National-level players.

We aren’t the most talented, never will be in our lifetime, but we could be the among the fittest, most determined, physical, hard to battle against, well coached and disciplined teams. We’re none of those.

Reactions: g00n

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
TBH they don't have the horses to compete internationally so agree they should work on the "grit" skills and become set-piece masters. If they think they can jump into formations and gameplans similar to the big nations they're fooling themselves and need a better roster somehow. They can't wear anyone down with possession, they're not lightning fast counterstrikers, and they don't have an impenetrable team defense. So what are they?

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Agree to disagree I guess. A lack of team identity is a glaring issue for me, among many.

Smaller nations have shown you can be at least somewhat successful with the right system with similarly less talented, but still athletically, National-level players.

We aren’t the most talented, never will be in our lifetime, but we could be the among the fittest, most determined, physical, hard to battle against, well coached and disciplined teams. We’re none of those.

That’s fine but those smaller nations that achieve some level of success usually do it because of golden generations that often have played together for many years and fit like a glove. They usually don’t have long term consistent success though.

The US did fine in the 2014 World Cup cycle and are now in a down cycle. It happens even with the very best. How much did overall US on pitch ‘style’ change between 2014, Klinsmann getting canned, and now? Not much IMO but obviously feel free to disagree.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002

As someone who hates Spuds and Mourinho this is a match made in heaven.

That being said this is probably a good thing for all parties involved. Pochettino should have left after the Champions League final. It was very clear to everyone that his heart was no longer in it and the relationship had run it’s course. I honestly think he would be coaching Madrid right now if he had left then. He could still end up there but Bayern seems more likely to me given the timing.

Spuds need another voice and say what you want about Mourinho’s ‘style’ he usually gets results, especially in the first couple of years before his players get tired of his shtick. And Spuds needs to show they can win something, anything.

And Mourinho needed an experienced team, ready to take a step forward to walk into. You know how he wants his teams to play both with and without the ball and the brilliance of Kane up front will allow him to do that and still get goals. Defensively they are experienced, though I expect they will bring in a new right back in January and we will see more Ben Davis on the other side. The midfield is similarly experienced but again I expect to see some guys who have seen little time so far this season come in from the cold.

They still have the issue with too many important players running down their contacts this year but with respect to turning it around this year and positioning themselves for the future when those guys leave, and I expect at least 2/3 of them to leave, they should be in a good place and will have money to spend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad