OT: Discusión del Fútbol (EPL, FIFA, LIGA, USMNT, USWNT, MLS, etc) - Parte Cinco

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Who on the latest selection isn’t an MLS regular? And….are they starting or warming the bench?

And I give him some rope because fans don’t have the full picture/considerations that go into roster selections.

I’m results oriented, therefor I will judge him on the team results.

Speaking to reporters about Brooks' exclusion, Berhalter said he had a "good conversation with him and explained to him that this is our thinking for the window."

"This is what we chose to do in this window. It doesn't determine his future with the national team. And I think that's a very important distinction," Berhalter said. "Like all these guys who weren't included in the initial roster, it doesn't mean that they don't have a role to play in the future.

So we did what we thought was best for this window in a way we want to play and sometimes we leave players out, sometimes we bring them in based on our opponents and based on what we're trying to do in this window."
Honest question. If you are results oriented, why are you saying the manager who has similar (at best) results with much better players than previous managers deserves the benefit of the doubt? It's literally the definition of doing less with more.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Honest question. If you are results oriented, why are you saying the manager who has similar (at best) results with much better players than previous managers deserves the benefit of the doubt? It's literally the definition of doing less with more.

it’s funny, was just watching a video on ESPN….they were saying that GB is just inconsistent with his ”criteria” for selection….one time it’s strategy, one it’s form, etc….

I guess my bar for if GB is doing his job well, will ultimately be judged on qualifying for the WC or not…and if he does, then on their performance at the WC.

I don’t think this is an easy job these selections, and I don’t think they’re as cut and dry as most fans think.

win the games and this is all just useless noise…

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
The USMNT faces El Tri tonight at the Azteca. They’ll probably field a B-ish squad so they can field their best possible 11 against Panama in what’s looking like a must-win game. A draw tonight would be huge.

In classic Gregg fashion, he didn’t add a player to the roster after Aaronson was ruled out because f*** it, it’s only the final window of World Cup Qualifying so why should he make use of every available roster spot, right? An empty roster spot helps them qualify more than a guy like John Brooks or Josh Sargent would so I get it.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I will give credit to GB for calling up Pefok instead of Zardes but pretty hard to justify Sargent's omission, especially with Aaronson out. He's just a really perplexing manager, to put it kindly.
I mean other than he hasn’t been producing for Club recently….

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Gonna have to record this one, I think. Really want to watch live, though.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Well they held serve last night but they’ll miss Weah and Yedlin for the game against Panama due to yellow card accumulation. I woke up yesterday thinking I’d be thrilled with a draw but Mexico looks like a shell of its former self and the US missed two tap-ins from inside the six-yard box so it really felt like the three points were there for the taking.

I think due to the results of last night with Panama drawing against Honduras and Costa Rica beating Canada along with the US-Mexico draw that the US can now tie their final two games and still clinch a top three spot regardless of how anyone else does. Two draws ensure that CR can only close the gap to one point and Panama to two, if my math is correct which it might not be after a late night and some drinks followed by an early morning (side note: I’m getting too old to stay up late).

A win against Panama on Saturday seals it which is certainly preferable so we don’t go away to Costa Rica needing a result. Get it done!

Reactions: marcel snapshot

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
N. Macedonia!

Heads will roll…

Yep.
At least they have to.

Still weird.
Unbeaten world record
1 Euro win
But WC miss.

OT
Weird stat (heard yesterday before Portugal's game)

Serbia missed last several EUROs (last one they did in 2000)
In the same span they qualified for 4 out of 5 World Cups

And if we're talking about the last 2 EUROs . Serbia couldn't qualify in the top 24 teams
But at WCs Europe has only 13 teams and they are in

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Well they held serve last night but they’ll miss Weah and Yedlin for the game against Panama due to yellow card accumulation. I woke up yesterday thinking I’d be thrilled with a draw but Mexico looks like a shell of its former self and the US missed two tap-ins from inside the six-yard box so it really felt like the three points were there for the taking.

I think due to the results of last night with Panama drawing against Honduras and Costa Rica beating Canada along with the US-Mexico draw that the US can now tie their final two games and still clinch a top three spot regardless of how anyone else does. Two draws ensure that CR can only close the gap to one point and Panama to two, if my math is correct which it might not be after a late night and some drinks followed by an early morning (side note: I’m getting too old to stay up late).

A win against Panama on Saturday seals it which is certainly preferable so we don’t go away to Costa Rica needing a result. Get it done!

I crashed early….just finished the 2nd half.

Solid draw. Could have won it and crushed their souls.

The diving by Mexico was embarrassing.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I crashed early….just finished the 2nd half.

Solid draw. Could have won it and crushed their souls.

The diving by Mexico was embarrassing.
Yeah the flopping in the box by Jimenez and Vega to try and draw penalties was embarrassing. Good for the referee for seeing through it, not feeling pressured by the moment or the location, making the right non-calls, and making the right call in carding Vega for his antics.

That Gio Reyna slalom through the midfield and seven or eight Mexican defenders was in the second half wild. Kid is super talented. Too bad Pefok was just standing there watching and there wasn’t anywhere for Gio to go once he got to about 30 yards out.

Also I’ll say again that Sargent needs to be in the squad. They have no set #9 right now and they have to find someone who can be serviceable in the position. Pefok was the right selection but he was disappointing. His touches were terrible and he wasn’t threatening at all with his runs. Won’t go too hard on him since that was a big moment for a young kid but still disappointing nonetheless. Hell, at this point I’d say play Pulisic as a false 9 and flank him with Weah and Reyna.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah the flopping in the box by Jimenez and Vega to try and draw penalties was embarrassing. Good for the referee for seeing through it, not feeling pressured by the moment or the location, making the right non-calls, and making the right call in carding Vega for his antics.

That Gio Reyna slalom through the midfield and seven or eight Mexican defenders was in the second half wild. Kid is super talented. Too bad Pefok was just standing there watching and there wasn’t anywhere for Gio to go once he got to about 30 yards out.

Also I’ll say again that Sargent needs to be in the squad. They have no set #9 right now and they have to find someone who can be serviceable in the position. Pefok was the right selection but he was disappointing. His touches were terrible and he wasn’t threatening at all with his runs. Won’t go too hard on him since that was a big moment for a young kid but still disappointing nonetheless. Hell, at this point I’d say play Pulisic as a false 9 and flank him with Weah and Reyna.

for those who missed it…

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
How can Panama argue against that penalty? Choked, thrown to the ground, landed on, and handball all on the same play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad