Discovery Channel delivers head shot to Pittsburgh Penguins

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
So at a work hang-out, a lot of people actually mentioned the "burn" by Discovery Channel...

It was not a fun day to be a Pens fan.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
put another way (IMO):

charisma can't be taught, and the Penguins don't have it.

Pens don't understand how to not be the "America's Team" type of bs they keep trying to push their marketing and Morehouse's agenda with.

They lack humor all around and outside of the Pizza thing outside and the screen set up outside as well as the American Eagle stuff, the team does very little to actually be "Cool."

Its sad because a lot of teams have funny people running their Twitter accounts or even Instagram and just better people for their media and what not. Production values are fine for a show that Morehouse loves because it shows how "Neato!" we are to fans that want to get a peek into the stuff...but it's still lame content for the most part.

What would have been great is the Flyers twitter account re-tweeting with "Lmao..."

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
This team's biggest team problem is that they've created a mess of an environment that means it's no one's team, and that's putting it kindly. They didn't build around Crosby and Malkin, Fleury was allowed to spend years melting down before they got off their ***** and did something, youth is disliked unless they instantly deliver, and crappy veterans (god forbid they not love the worst ones the most) are revered. It's just a bunch of people being pitted against each other in one way or another.

But for the love of god, build on letting Adams go and get rid of Scuderi and Kunitz... and the idiot who probably shouldn't be trusted not to die on the ice just shouldn't play, imo.

The funny thing is, it wasn't just one thing. The major turning point was the Flyers series, but there were signs of it prior to that. I mean... you could even include incompetent medical staff who thought Sid had a concussion and then it ended up being neck issues.... The mump situation....

It goes on and on. It's pretty impressive to not accidentally do one thing right.

I mean... they let him play concussed before the neck-concussion **** up was known. Earlier sign and all that, they basically managed to screw up the same general thing multiple times. :laugh: :help:

2012 was a disaster but 2011 being an injury excuse playoffs probably gave Bylsma another year of coaching and more time for Shero to see Disco as his son or whatever it was. A 3-1 collapse is still ugly as **** even with injuries and fit the playoff pattern under Bylsma that we all got to see over time. 2011 may have been the turning point with 2012 being the fireworks, idk.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Sometimes, and yeah this would really suck for us fans, I wish Sid & Geno just up and said we want out unless you fix this situation (certain people being out) - Of course, behind closed doors, making that public would be a PR nightmare that this team will never be able to keep under control.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Wow, many of you guys take things far too seriously. How about taking the summer off from being miserable, might do you well.

This, thank you. Jesus christ, 10 minutes on this board depresses me. The pits of the Bylsma era was pretty brutal but some of the regular posters here have sunk into such an insufferable pathetic agony.

Yes it's a dumb gaff made by the social media intern, but why can't we have a laugh about our own team? Does every single move the organization makes, to every last tweet, have to be in line with our pathetic self-loathing that's reflected on this message board? Next headline, JR takes an unsatisfactory dump in a Consol Energy restroom, as reported by Rob Rossi.

The person in control of the twitter hold is the least of our concerns right now. And anyone who thinks team tweets are in any way representative of our organization's concern for the team....time for a reality check dude

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
So at a work hang-out, a lot of people actually mentioned the "burn" by Discovery Channel...

It was not a fun day to be a Pens fan.

Why? It has no bearing on anything to do with what goes on the ice. It was funny as hell.... if you can't laugh at yourself once in a while you must live a miserable life.

It was a sad day to be a pens fan when we lost to philly and no one was fired. That tweet was awesome.

Unfortunately the only thing I'm not a fan of is the discovery channel making fun of anyone especially when they're pretending to talk about science. Every single one of their shows is complete garbage. I miss what it was 15 years ago.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Sometimes, and yeah this would really suck for us fans, I wish Sid & Geno just up and said we want out unless you fix this situation (certain people being out) - Of course, behind closed doors, making that public would be a PR nightmare that this team will never be able to keep under control.

The problem is, saying "fix it or we want out" is easy, knowing HOW to fix it is harder. Obviously we can sit here and tell them what to do and we all think we're right, but I don't think the Pens' issue is a lack of desire to "fix it," up a lack of understanding how to do it.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Wow that really show how useless advanced degrees are becoming these days..

So she has a bachelors and a masters degree.. lets say $100-200K investment in education, and her career path involves basically "tweeting" and posting instagram photos from a cell phone to the internet. Sounds like she isn't even a big hockey fan to begin with either.

Way to use that education

Coincidentally, 14 year old girls in highschool are doing the same jobs, just they aren't getting paid for it.

Jeez - we're an awesome bunch of optimistic individuals around here these days :biglaugh:

I went to school with this girl and know her personally. She's by no means dumb. Actually, she was bright enough to stand out in a class that sent many to Ivy league schools/CMU/etc...

This was a harmless mistake made by doing her ****ing job: trying to get more visitors to the Penguins page by responding to trends on Twitter...and guess what, she succeeded in that regard. So we were the butt of the joke from another major corporation. Who gives a ****? Nobody got hurt, it's all harmless fun.

This board has become so pathetic and disgusting. You have zero knowledge of how much money she spent on her education and don't know this girl at all. Not that it matters here or was relevant.
It's unreal that people like you are at the point of actually stalking this person and making judgments.

You, specifically, cassius, have completely lost your mind over the past few months in some of your posts on here. You could really use the summer off as Mondello said before. And for the record, Andi is a HUGE hockey fan - and is absolutely more informed than the majority of HFboards.

FRUSTRATEDPENFAN*

I'm more offended by the Pens' pathetic use of viral marketing in response to someone else's unrelated use of the word 'Penguin'. How did they expect others to react?

Pittsburgh is still the leagues most important team even when not winning and it drives the fans of other teams nuts I love it cause its never going to change lol

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
I went to school with this girl and know her personally. She's by no means dumb. Actually, she was bright enough to stand out in a class that sent many to Ivy league schools/CMU/etc...

This was a harmless mistake made by doing her ****ing job: trying to get more visitors to the Penguins page by responding to trends on Twitter...and guess what, she succeeded in that regard. So we were the butt of the joke from another major corporation. Who gives a ****? Nobody got hurt, it's all harmless fun.

This board has become so pathetic and disgusting. You have zero knowledge of how much money she spent on her education and don't know this girl at all. Not that it matters here or was relevant.
It's unreal that people like you are at the point of actually stalking this person and making judgments.

You, specifically, cassius, have completely lost your mind over the past few months in some of your posts on here. You could really use the summer off as Mondello said before. And for the record, Andi is a HUGE hockey fan - and is absolutely more informed than the majority of HFboards.

Someone took it personal...

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain

Since the ECF in 2014 this board has just been completely pathetic and embarrassing. I'm slowly distancing myself from this place just like many of the former regular posters. And the funny thing is it's not newcomers coming in and taking over; it's the veterans who have just turned into miserable ****s.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Since the ECF in 2014 this board has just been completely pathetic and embarrassing. I'm slowly distancing myself from this place just like many of the former regular posters. And the funny thing is it's not newcomers coming in and taking over; it's the veterans who have just turned into miserable ****s.

Interesting timing! I've just started a thread related to what you've just said, even though i don't fully agree with you.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Funny... because the general direction the team has CHOSEN since that ECF (such as it was) has been "pathetic and embarrassing." So... you get back what you put in and all that.

I personally think some of the tone in this thread, in particular, is a bit much. But honestly I don't really understand why dedicated fans should be all holly and jolly about watching their team implode. I would be more worried about the fanbase's interest/knowledge/dedication if there was a collective shrug followed by a chorus of "Let's Go Pens!" accompanied by some confetti and pom-poms, or whatever. To me... that indicates a fanbase who doesn't care much.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Funny... because the general direction the team has CHOSEN since that ECF (such as it was) has been "pathetic and embarrassing." So... you get back what you put in and all that.

I personally think some of the tone in this thread, in particular, is a bit much. But honestly I don't really understand why dedicated fans should be all holly and jolly about watching their team implode. I would be more worried about the fanbase's interest/knowledge/dedication if there was a collective shrug followed by a chorus of "Let's Go Pens!" accompanied by some confetti and pom-poms, or whatever. To me... that indicates a fanbase who doesn't care much.

I agree with Zbynek. When someone has begun hating the team to the point where they are mocking and judging a girl simply because she runs their Twitter account, it's pathetic.

I'm not saying that everyone needs to be "holly and jolly" but when a simple joke gets the reaction that it did, then it's pretty clear that some have slipped off the edge of rationality or simply enjoy *****ing.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Like I said... I'm not defending that. I agree that that is distasteful and unnecessary... certainly overboard. She's just some person doing her job (that has zero bearing on what happens on the ice). It led to some (what should have been) hilarity somewhat at the Penguins expense. Kinda cringe-worthy, yeah. But funny. Harmless.

But I get the nagging suspicion that his contention is not at all based solely on this matter. Which is really what I was addressing.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
I mean, I understand being down on the team and having detailed thoughts about why they're bad, but when people get called out on really toxic, over-the-top behaviors, the suggested alternative is not positivity about the team. Saying otherwise is a silly false dilemma and more than a little inappropriate when the immediate issue is a creepy, unhinged dude going in on the woman who handles social media. This place has lost it in many ways and it gets worse by the day. Half the mods are in on it, too.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I suppose I just don't see it as nearly that bad of an environment. I see a few people that routinely don't just cross but gleefully sprint over the line. But that's about it. Easy enough to ignore/laugh off. When the team can figure out where it's ass is with both hands again... people will probably perk up.

I guess I just don't know what people expect. I (and I expect many, many others) spent a lot of years already ignoring things and just trying to live in the moment. We're sorta in the "hard truths" phase, now.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh

Posting pictures of someone and mocking their level of education because they run the team's twitter is taking it personal. Not to mention petty and creepy.

I mean, I understand being down on the team and having detailed thoughts about why they're bad, but when people get called out on really toxic, over-the-top behaviors, the suggested alternative is not positivity about the team. Saying otherwise is a silly false dilemma and more than a little inappropriate when the immediate issue is a creepy, unhinged dude going in on the woman who handles social media. This place has lost it in many ways and it gets worse by the day. Half the mods are in on it, too.

Yeah, this board is one more unpopular trade away from unironically blaming David Morehouse for chemtrails. There's a difference between casting a critical eye on things and just being completely deranged.

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014
It was funny, and would've been slightly less of a burn if the Pens twitter person could take a joke and tweeted a funny reply back. Maybe it's the team that doesn't want to do that, but you gotta learn to laugh at yourself sometimes.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
It was funny, and would've been slightly less of a burn if the Pens twitter person could take a joke and tweeted a funny reply back. Maybe it's the team that doesn't want to do that, but you gotta learn to laugh at yourself sometimes.

Aaaaah yesssss!!! - Conan O. (co-creator of Triumph the insult comic dog)

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I agree with Zbynek. When someone has begun hating the team to the point where they are mocking and judging a girl simply because she runs their Twitter account, it's pathetic.

I'm not saying that everyone needs to be "holly and jolly" but when a simple joke gets the reaction that it did, then it's pretty clear that some have slipped off the edge of rationality or simply enjoy *****ing.

That's certainly pathetic but Zbynek is using that example to make a broader point which I think is incorrect. The majority of Pens fans on social media are jolly in defense of their team. We are in the minority and have legitimate gripes. We probably ***** too much, but what else is there to talk about with this team?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad